Summer Vacation Scheme Thread 2019

STWO

Distinguished Member
Jan 5, 2019
Hey guys, if you're asked this question "There are times when you need to be highly motivated and use your initiative under difficult circumstances, how do you approach challenging situations that require real determination to be successful, why do you think it is important to us that you are proactive in overcoming setbacks and obstacles?" or a question like this during a video interview or telephone interview, are you expected to still give a STAR response?

JL

Star Member
Oct 31, 2018
Hey guys, if you're asked this question "There are times when you need to be highly motivated and use your initiative under difficult circumstances, how do you approach challenging situations that require real determination to be successful, why do you think it is important to us that you are proactive in overcoming setbacks and obstacles?" or a question like this during a video interview or telephone interview, are you expected to still give a STAR response?

I'd split my answer into two sections. I'd use the STAR format to address 'There are times when you need to be highly motivated and use your initiative under difficult circumstances, how do you approach challenging situations that require real determination to be successful?'. I'd then tackle the 'why do you think it is important to us that you are proactive in overcoming setbacks and obstacles' part head on.

Reactions: AJ

Blair.11

Standard Member
Feb 22, 2019
Hey guys, first time posting but I'm just curious as to how to respond to a question like this? Give an example of a recent legal decision that is significant to X firm business that you strongly agree or disagree.

Do I answer it based on current legislation, whether I agree with it and how it affects the firm, for example? Or talk about case the firm itself has taken on?

Suleman Ali

Feb 25, 2019
Hi,

Please can someone point me in the right direction. I'm honestly stumped as to what to write for this question as i haven't come across it before.

Law firms are changing, embracing AI and legal project management approaches to better
understand and serve their clients needs.
Taking a company of your choice, identify and describe an area where they have succeeded in
embracing and implementing change. What could a law firm such as Thrings learn from them?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey guys, first time posting but I'm just curious as to how to respond to a question like this? Give an example of a recent legal decision that is significant to X firm business that you strongly agree or disagree.

Do I answer it based on current legislation, whether I agree with it and how it affects the firm, for example? Or talk about case the firm itself has taken on?

Interesting question, I can't say I've heard that one before.

A "legal decision" to me would suggest a case rather than legislation. It doesn't necessarily have to be one the firm has taken on itself, but it should impact the firm's business.

Hi,

Please can someone point me in the right direction. I'm honestly stumped as to what to write for this question as i haven't come across it before.

Law firms are changing, embracing AI and legal project management approaches to better
    understand and serve their clients needs.
    Taking a company of your choice, identify and describe an area where they have succeeded in
    embracing and implementing change. What could a law firm such as Thrings learn from them?

I think that question sounds harder than it actually is. The point they're making at the start is how firms have recently had to embrace more technology to serve clients. Can you think of any companies that have had to do the same?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Frustrating situation regarding clashing vac scheme dates.

Had a really frustrating call with Jones Day grad recruitment. I explained to them that the summer scheme that they had offered me clashed with another scheme that I had already accepted, but I was clear that I was quite committed to pursuing a career with Jones Day and asked about being transferred onto the Spring scheme. They said that they would not be able transfer me onto the spring scheme as it was oversubscribed, which I can understand. What I found very frustrating was that they said that if I didn't accept the offer now they would not consider my application next year. Is this standard practice ? Apart from defaulting on my contract with the other firm what choice do I have, and is this an option ? Like, I feel that I would prefer JD over the other firm, but I just don't feel right rejecting them just after I accepted my offer. Advice would be welcome...I only have until Friday to make a decision.

Any chance to interview for a direct TC?

They would not consider your application at all next year? That's not standard practice, but JD is a firm that's very particular when it comes to motivation for applying to them.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Yeah, they specifically said that they wouldn't accept an application for next years scheme. I just don't understand what they expect me to do in this situation. Like, is there any way I could even get out of doing the scheme with the other firm. I just feel that looks bad, and wouldn't do me any favours in the future. I thought that if they were prepared to make me an offer that they would be in some way interested in seeing if I could be a potential trainee at the firm. Not sure what to do.

Yep, turning down schemes does happen. It's obviously not best practice, but you shouldn't find yourself in any trouble unless you want to do a training contract at that firm in the future.

If you do prefer JD, I'd go for it (I'd just factor in their current inflexibility as factor against them).

Reactions: Abstruser

anaisindia

Dec 30, 2018
    JD are a strange firm. I had an interview with them lined up for a summer vac scheme. They emailed me about 2 weeks before saying "sorry, we've filled all the spots but you can still interview for a back-up place if someone drops out". Luckily, I managed to secure a TC since then so cancelled the JD interview.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Abstruser

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    JD are a strange firm. I had an interview with them lined up for a summer vac scheme. They emailed me about 2 weeks before saying "sorry, we've filled all the spots but you can still interview for a back-up place if someone drops out". Luckily, I managed to secure a TC since then so cancelled the JD interview.
    Congrats - where are you going to work?

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    I agree they give no feedback. And you can ever apply again!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.