Talking about current employment - graduates

Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018
Hello!

I've been putting some thought into how I'm going to use my current job as a point of reference for where I've developed certain skills and competencies, in interviews. I've also been thinking about using it as an example of what I'm seeking to leave behind, e.g. :
  • menial work where I don't get pushed much. Also, less responsibility than I want in a job
  • a non-competitive market where the business doesn't necessarily try very hard to improve their service to clients
But, I don't want to come across as negative/slating the company in case they think that's what I'm going to be like at their firm OR as downplaying the skills I am picking up on the job (e.g. I don't want to play down any responsibility I do have by saying what I don't have).

Does anyone have experience with talking about full-time office work in legal interviews? Or, can give an outside perspective on the above?

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Hello!

I've been putting some thought into how I'm going to use my current job as a point of reference for where I've developed certain skills and competencies, in interviews. I've also been thinking about using it as an example of what I'm seeking to leave behind, e.g. :
  • menial work where I don't get pushed much. Also, less responsibility than I want in a job
  • a non-competitive market where the business doesn't necessarily try very hard to improve their service to clients
But, I don't want to come across as negative/slating the company in case they think that's what I'm going to be like at their firm OR as downplaying the skills I am picking up on the job (e.g. I don't want to play down any responsibility I do have by saying what I don't have).

Does anyone have experience with talking about full-time office work in legal interviews? Or, can give an outside perspective on the above?

Hello Hazal!

I am bit unsure as to what you mean about what you are seeking to leave behind, is this in case the interviewers ask you, why you're currently leaving your full-time role for a vacation scheme/training contract with X firm?

When discussing my full-time office work, I mentioned the skills and competencies I developed i.e. working under pressure, team-work, difficult people etc.. and how it has prepared me for the role of a solicitor, I never spoke about what I was leaving behind, I felt that it was not necessary for me to mention?

I hope this helps, let me know if I have mis-read your question (I probably did haha).

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018
I agree with @Salma haha.

I don’t think it matters why you want to leave your current job. At the end of the day, you want to train as a solicitor and work in commercial law at firm xyz. That’s why you’re leaving and no other reason. Definitely compare and contrast your current role to that in commercial law. It should add more substance and sincerity to your answers.

But just a point of caution. Be careful in what you say and try to think of follow up questions. If you say you want to get away from menial work, you might be asked about the role of of trainee bundle checking or photocopying (even though most firms have document production services).

I had a similar problem in terms of talking about my current role and experience. I sat down with a blank piece of paper and bullet pointed what I did in my current role day to day. No matter how big or small. And then tried to draw out competencies from each. Then linked these to the role of a trainee or NQ. I then made this into proper text to fit 150, 250 and unlimited word counts.

Reactions: Alice G, Salma and Helena

Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018
@Salma @AJ thank you for your insight guys!

I think I was trying to say I wanted to contrast my current role with the future role that I want. E.g. client exposure/more responsibility. I don't want to downplay what I do now but also want to show that I have something physical that I'm basing what I want on.

Be careful in what you say and try to think of follow up questions. If you say you want to get away from menial work, y
so true! Thanks for putting it in perspective

Reactions: Salma

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
@Salma @AJ thank you for your insight guys!

I think I was trying to say I wanted to contrast my current role with the future role that I want. E.g. client exposure/more responsibility. I don't want to downplay what I do now but also want to show that I have something physical that I'm basing what I want on.

so true! Thanks for putting it in perspective

I get what you're saying @Hazal , I do not think you will be required to explicitly say what you're looking for in you future role as a trainee solicitor, I think this would be somewhat clear to the interviewer.

It would only be required if you're applying to another company for the current role you're in (if that makes sense).

Reactions: Hazal

Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018
I get what you're saying @Hazal , I do not think you will be required to explicitly say what you're looking for in you future role as a trainee solicitor, I think this would be somewhat clear to the interviewer.

It would only be required if you're applying to another company for the current role you're in (if that makes sense).
Yep that makes sense! Thank you

Reactions: Salma

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi Hazel!

I totally agree with what has been said above. I think you can more subtly say that you’ve really appreciated your current work experience because it has enabled you to make more informed choices about what kinds of work you really enjoy and the kind of position that you are seeking to make a career out of. I think that this isn’t negative but it subtly informs the interviewers you have provided yourself with exposure and that you have been able to make a really informed choice. That’s what I’ve done in the past :)

Reactions: Ali2020, Hazal and JL

PMF_II

Star Member
Mar 1, 2018
Hello!

Hey Hazal. If it helps at all, I’m a career changer, but I’ve never been asked at law TC interviews why I want to leave my current career. Having said that, I always have a few short sentences ready in my head to explain my decision to change career just in case they ask. I would suggest that you keep it short (4-5 sentences), to the point and positive (more emphasis on what law can give you than what your current job cannot give you). The more you try to explain yourself, the more likely you’ll downplay your current job and achievements. Hope this helps.

Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018
Hey Hazal. If it helps at all, I’m a career changer, but I’ve never been asked at law TC interviews why I want to leave my current career. Having said that, I always have a few short sentences ready in my head to explain my decision to change career just in case they ask. I would suggest that you keep it short (4-5 sentences), to the point and positive (more emphasis on what law can give you than what your current job cannot give you). The more you try to explain yourself, the more likely you’ll downplay your current job and achievements. Hope this helps.
hey! You've explained everything I've been thinking about brilliantly haha. After everyone's comments, I was definitely leaning towards drawing the positives out instead of negatives - it makes sense. Thank you :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.