TC offer and current job

Kubed

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Hi everyone,

Looking for a bit of advice if anyone has been in a similar situation. I am currently in a great non-legal role but have TC lined up for Sept 2023 (starting the LPC in September 2022). It's such a long gap and I'm questioning what I should do in a few ways. At the moment, I'm planning on leaving my current role in July or August 2022.

When should I let my current manager know that I will be leaving? I have been at the company for a number of years and have a lot of respect for my manager - I know they would be disappointed and I want to give them plenty of time to find a replacement (it's a fairly niche role with a lengthy application/interview process). Should I consider working a few hours week or part-time while doing the LPC if that's an option? I'm 90% sure I want to focus solely on the LPC but also wouldn't mind a small income as the LPC grant isn't huge.

Thanks

• ℹ️
    Reactions: George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone,

Looking for a bit of advice if anyone has been in a similar situation. I am currently in a great non-legal role but have TC lined up for Sept 2023 (starting the LPC in September 2022). It's such a long gap and I'm questioning what I should do in a few ways. At the moment, I'm planning on leaving my current role in July or August 2022.

When should I let my current manager know that I will be leaving? I have been at the company for a number of years and have a lot of respect for my manager - I know they would be disappointed and I want to give them plenty of time to find a replacement (it's a fairly niche role with a lengthy application/interview process). Should I consider working a few hours week or part-time while doing the LPC if that's an option? I'm 90% sure I want to focus solely on the LPC but also wouldn't mind a small income as the LPC grant isn't huge.

Thanks
    Personally, I would only suggest telling them when you need to give your notice. If you want to give more support to the organisation, then estimate the time needed to recruit someone and give them that period of time and say you'd like to give them as much notice as possible and therefore you are resigning but would like your leave date to be July/August 2022 rather than however many weeks notice you have.

You could also offer to stay on in some form of part-time capacity but I would think carefully about whether you will have this capacity. Your employer could also say they couldn't take you on in this way too though. I have turned down similar requests before because it just wasn't practical from a headcount/budget perspective.

Kubed

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Personally, I would only suggest telling them when you need to give your notice. If you want to give more support to the organisation, then estimate the time needed to recruit someone and give them that period of time and say you'd like to give them as much notice as possible and therefore you are resigning but would like your leave date to be July/August 2022 rather than however many weeks notice you have.

You could also offer to stay on in some form of part-time capacity but I would think carefully about whether you will have this capacity. Your employer could also say they couldn't take you on in this way too though. I have turned down similar requests before because it just wasn't practical from a headcount/budget perspective.
    Thank you, yes that all makes sense.

I'm not too keen to work to be honest - I get the feeling I'd be spreading myself too thin and from a practical point of view maybe not possible anyway. Probably a discussion for further own the line when I tell my employer.

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi everyone,

Thanks
    @Kubed these are great questions.

I would personally edge on the side of caution if you have a good relationship with you manager and let them know sooner rather than later. Maintaining a good relationship with previous employers is never a bad idea and you never know when you may need to draw on them in the future(!).

With regards to working during the LPC, I would suggest having a trawl through the forum/starting your own thread (if one of these/others are not helpful/relevant).

Jessica is absolutely right though. Definitely thoroughly read through your contract and looking at the notice period required, whatever decision you take.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Kubed

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.