TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Hi all, so I'm applying for a TC where the majority of the application is a cover letter. They say the *maximum* word count is 1000 words which to me seem a fair bit- do we think I have to utilise the full 1000? or would it be better to go in at 750-800?
You've had some great answers above but personally, I always relish the opportunity to write more words! I am sure you have loads to mention if you think about all the various things that could relate to your application :)

anon123456789

Valued Member
  • Oct 25, 2021
    I think using roughly 800 words is fine. I wouldn't go much below this though, unless you feel there is a lot being repeated in other application questions.

I'd keep it to at least 900 but if you feel like you've added everything substantive that you could and there is no room to bring in any other competency or motivation to support your application then around 800 should be fine too.

You've had some great answers above but personally, I always relish the opportunity to write more words! I am sure you have loads to mention if you think about all the various things that could relate to your application :)
    Fab, thank you very much everyone!

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD and James Carrabino

Lawyered22

Oct 19, 2020
    I seriously struggle to understand how this recruitment process works lol… How does an application submitted a week ago receive a response (good or bad) before an application submitted in January? Are reviews not done in chronological order for rolling? If there’s some sort of sorting/tiering system, how exactly does it work? If the application didn’t meet standards, I don’t understand why you wouldn’t just send a PFO instead of leaving the applicant in limbo for months?

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    I seriously struggle to understand how this recruitment process works lol… How does an application submitted a week ago receive a response (good or bad) before an application submitted in January? Are reviews not done in chronological order for rolling? If there’s some sort of sorting/tiering system, how exactly does it work? If the application didn’t meet standards, I don’t understand why you wouldn’t just send a PFO instead of leaving the applicant in limbo for months?

I feel you completely! This is the first time I've ever received a response in less than 2 weeks. The whole application process has seemed quite opaque to me. Sigh. I hope you hear back soon!

For TC in 2024!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Have any assessments been done between submitting the application and now? If so, applicants could be ranked by that assessment and the firm could be working their way down from the highest performers. Although I haven't heard of it in law, there are also some forms of AI that work to prioritise applications by certain data points too - so it could be something like that as well.

However, in all honesty, it could just be either lazy or "hedging your bets" recruitment. It could be lazy in a sense that they just haven't got around to turning down people. It could be "hedging your bets" by ultimately not telling people an outcome yet and having a number of people "on hold" dependent on how their assessments go.

I know its frustrating not having clear sight of what is happening - in my opinion, this is one of the worst parts of recruitment. I wish it was more transparent.

• ℹ️
    • 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD, SS1 and Adrian_S

CamilleL

Junior Lawyer
    Jul 27, 2020
    I know! It’s disheartening. I applied to the 2022 TC at Dentons on the 1st February. Sent a follow up email on the 29th March and never even got an answer from them!
    I am happy to hear that some are progressing, at least I can consider that it’s a rejection and move on…
    Maybe opening a 2022 application was a mistake?

gdelle

Star Member
  • Feb 10, 2022
    Hi, everyone

I had a telephone interview last week. I emailed the day before to say that I was sick (ended up testing positive for covid) and that, if possible, I would like to rearrange.

I received no reply from the recruitment team or the person interviewing me, so I turned up on time at my webcam. I explained that I would go ahead with the interview if there was no way of rearranging, but that I would much rather do it when I was better as I did not want it to affect my chances. The person interviewing me said he wasn't sure, but he would email the early careers team for me. I emailed to say thanks and waited.

Today I've got an email saying that they are sorry but the *2024* TC places for the location I had applied for are now full and "will be unable to consider your application on this occasion". Thing is, when I was given a range of dates to choose from, the TI dates went all the way into May - were they giving out TI dates that they weren't going to go ahead with or have I been turned down with a generic email?

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    Hi, everyone

I had a telephone interview last week. I emailed the day before to say that I was sick (ended up testing positive for covid) and that, if possible, I would like to rearrange.

I received no reply from the recruitment team or the person interviewing me, so I turned up on time at my webcam. I explained that I would go ahead with the interview if there was no way of rearranging, but that I would much rather do it when I was better as I did not want it to affect my chances. The person interviewing me said he wasn't sure, but he would email the early careers team for me. I emailed to say thanks and waited.

Today I've got an email saying that they are sorry but the *2024* TC places for the location I had applied for are now full and "will be unable to consider your application on this occasion". Thing is, when I was given a range of dates to choose from, the TI dates went all the way into May - were they giving out TI dates that they weren't going to go ahead with or have I been turned down with a generic email?
    Hi @gdelle I am really sorry to hear about your situation, but I think there are steps you can take to find out what may have happened.

This does sound like it could be a generic e-mail, so in this scenario I would honestly recommend that you call the graduate recruitment team tomorrow morning to check whether there could have been an administrative error here. If you were offered a telephone interview then it does not make sense that they would not follow through on their offer to interview you, if they have suggested that they will do so.

If they confirm that you cannot continue with the process this year, perhaps you could at least ask whether you will have the opportunity to interview with them next year. Something seems like it may have gone wrong here and so I would not hesitate to get in touch with the firm.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you 🤞

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    I remember I asked a member of graduate recruitment this question at a firm where I was waiting for a reply and they told me that they reviewed the most recent apps before the deadline first, followed by the earliest apps, and then the apps in the middle of the application window ended up being the ones reviewed last. They also promised that they made a decision on whether to bring an application through to video interview as and when they reviewed it. This honestly made no sense to me at all but this just goes to show that every firm could have their own completely novel way of doing things!

I know that they were telling the truth because I ended up getting progressed with the firm many weeks after someone I knew who applied much later than me got progressed. It is far easier said than done, but I would really try not to read anything into your timeline of hearing back vis a vis that of other applicants :)

• ℹ️
    Reactions: AvniD, SS1 and Adrian_S
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.