TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rollss

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 20, 2022
Hey guys! I was just wondering if anyone had any insight in how to answer the question: 'How would you advise your client for things to look out for in a business acquisition?'

My train of thought goes to due diligence, market research etc. Would that be what the recruiter is looking for?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey guys! I was just wondering if anyone had any insight in how to answer the question: 'How would you advise your client for things to look out for in a business acquisition?'

My train of thought goes to due diligence, market research etc. Would that be what the recruiter is looking for?
To me things like due diligence and market research are more the processes you would undertake rather than the things you would look out for. I am not commercially aware, but I suspect it’s more things like the specifics of the business. Operating costs, appointments of key staff (and whether you would retain them), debt, pension liabilities etc are the things that immediately come to mind.

Reactions: rollss

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
In 50 words, I would state one thing about the firm's ethos, the TC structure/job profile, the type of clients and deals and/or the career opportunities available that stand out to you. There simply isn't enough space for you to explain why these things stand out to you so you're probably better off just stating what stands out to you plainly. Alternatively, you could pick one headlining thing about the firm you like and use the remaining 50 words to explain why you like this aspect about the firm.
Thank you very much for this

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

lawyering

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 29, 2020
Hi all - I have a question about asking for adjustments to a psychometric test. The firm in question has provided a contact at Pearson (the test provider) to speak with 'if you have any special requirements for completing the test'. This seems quite unusual, as I would expect to disclose my requirements to someone at the firm.

Should I call or email the graduate recruitment team directly anyway? I don’t want to seem like I’m not following the instructions provided in the email

lw2000

Distinguished Member
Aug 19, 2021
For Trowers the original deadline was 31 July but when I’ve gone on the application system I’ve noticed the deadline keeps changing - so last week it changed to 2/08 and 3/08 and today I’ve just noticed it’s 9.30am on 11/08 - is this them hoping for more applications or could just be a mistake (seems unlikely)?

ps213

Jul 12, 2022
For Trowers the original deadline was 31 July but when I’ve gone on the application system I’ve noticed the deadline keeps changing - so last week it changed to 2/08 and 3/08 and today I’ve just noticed it’s 9.30am on 11/08 - is this them hoping for more applications or could just be a mistake (seems unlikely)?
Oh that's so annoying! I really rushed to make their initial deadline lol. Seems like they must want more applications in.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Do they use Vantage? If it is so, Vantage is being more messy than real housewife. They are having tech issues, whereas apply4law is always problematic at the end of a cycle.

JadeWadey01

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 9, 2022
Do they use Vantage? If it is so, Vantage is being more messy than real housewife. They are having tech issues, whereas apply4law is always problematic at the end of a cycle.
They use apply4law and I just started an app to test them out. They deffo extended the deadline. Maybe they didn't get as many apps as anticipated.

Reactions: ellwilsen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all - I have a question about asking for adjustments to a psychometric test. The firm in question has provided a contact at Pearson (the test provider) to speak with 'if you have any special requirements for completing the test'. This seems quite unusual, as I would expect to disclose my requirements to someone at the firm.

Should I call or email the graduate recruitment team directly anyway? I don’t want to seem like I’m not following the instructions provided in the email
The test provider is probably the best contact to speak to as they will know the adjustments that can/cannot be provided. It wouldn't be unusual to go to the test provider for this, as they typically also have to make the adjustments rather than the law firm and therefore it's a lot quicker (as the law firm would just be a middle man in the process).

• 🤝
Reactions: lawyering

JadeWadey01

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 9, 2022
Also sorry for yet another Macfarlanes post but how long should I expect to wait to hear back. Someone before said within two weeks but I applied on the 22nd July with no response yet. I guess I'm just impatient, but I'm just wondering if I should expect a PFO

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.