TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SS1

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Nov 5, 2020
Hi everyone! Just got an AC invite from Freshfields! As we are allowed to select dates for the AC, do you guys think choosing a later AC date will affect my chances for securing a TC?
Hi - Congratulations!! would you mind sharing when you submitted your WG test?

YJ

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2021
Has anyone got any tips for explaining a lower grade. I got 58 in EU law in 2nd year and this is my lowest grade to date, I didn't particularly do anything different I just found EU law quite technical and tricky and did not enjoy it as much

JadeWadey01

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 9, 2022
Has anyone got any tips for explaining a lower grade. I got 58 in EU law in 2nd year and this is my lowest grade to date, I didn't particularly do anything different I just found EU law quite technical and tricky and did not enjoy it as much
I wouldn't necessarily say thay you didn't enjoy it as this could reflect badly on you (as in you didn't try because you didn't like it.) There will always be a subject that may stump you a bit so I guess you can talk about how you found it difficult and you did try your hardest. I know I had a lower grade that was ignored due to my other high grades and, tbf, your grade is very close to a 2.1.

Reactions: Adrian_S

antisocial applicant

Esteemed Member
Jan 12, 2022
Have you been asked to explain a lower grade? I have some 2:2 modules and no firms ever bothered bringing them up in interviews

Reactions: Sarak and Adrian_S

rollss

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 20, 2022
To me things like due diligence and market research are more the processes you would undertake rather than the things you would look out for. I am not commercially aware, but I suspect it’s more things like the specifics of the business. Operating costs, appointments of key staff (and whether you would retain them), debt, pension liabilities etc are the things that immediately come to mind.
thank you so much !!!!

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Only a few firms will ask you to explain, Stephenson Harwood is one that'll ask you!

IRO

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer 5
    Jan 21, 2021
    Also sorry for yet another Macfarlanes post but how long should I expect to wait to hear back. Someone before said within two weeks but I applied on the 22nd July with no response yet. I guess I'm just impatient, but I'm just wondering if I should expect a PFO
    They’re non-rolling now so I imagine you’ll need to wait until at least 2 weeks post deadline. They run 10-13 assessments days and I think continue quite late into August.

Reactions: JadeWadey01

lawstudent444

Standard Member
    Feb 2, 2022
    Also sorry for yet another Macfarlanes post but how long should I expect to wait to hear back. Someone before said within two weeks but I applied on the 22nd July with no response yet. I guess I'm just impatient, but I'm just wondering if I should expect a PFO
    I got an AC invite last week and when I booked there were about 5 or so AC dates so they will probably invite more soon

Reactions: JadeWadey01
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.