TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021

NCLaw

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 5, 2018
I was wondering if there was a thread which highlights the firms that recruit a good number of applicants via the direct TC application route?

I missed so many of the vac scheme deadlines and my brain is being quite negative about my prospects now!!

amyemmm

Jan 16, 2022
I was wondering if there was a thread which highlights the firms that recruit a good number of applicants via the direct TC application route?

I missed so many of the vac scheme deadlines and my brain is being quite negative about my prospects now!!
https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/where-firms-recruit-from-direct-tc-vs.2723/ - there's a thread here where this is talked about.

I just want to say that I am in the exact same boat. I also missed most of the deadlines for VS this year, and so have been left just trying my luck with direct TC applications. Although it is generally the case that firms recruit mostly from their VS, there is still the chance to impress them and get one directly. A VS doesn't automatically guarantee a TC either, so you never know your chances with either route! There's always next year for us to apply to the VS too. Hope you're okay :)

NCLaw

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 5, 2018
I don't believe so, but I know that after you complete the test they review your answers alongside your application.
Yeah they said that in the email but it didn’t make sense to me! I guess they mean they won't base an acceptance/rejection solely based on the results of the test and will look at the results as a whole...?

NCLaw

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 5, 2018
I just want to say that I am in the exact same boat. I also missed most of the deadlines for VS this year, and so have been left just trying my luck with direct TC applications. Although it is generally the case that firms recruit mostly from their VS, there is still the chance to impress them and get one directly. A VS doesn't automatically guarantee a TC either, so you never know your chances with either route! There's always next year for us to apply to the VS too. Hope you're okay :)
@amyemmm thank you! Really appreciate it and I hope you're okay too. I think I was really relaxed about the VS deadlines because I've got lots of paralegal experience already and thought it was unnecessary. It's only now that I realise most firms genuinely prefer to recruit via vac schemes regardless!!

We'll get there ☺️

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hi @futuretraineesolicitor and @Beluga,

Just wanted to say that, as two outstanding members of the forum, I hope that you are still feeling upbeat after this news. I am really sorry to hear it, but equally you should know that this single PFO does not define you as candidates!

Here if you need anything as always 💪
Thank you so much for your kind words, @George Maxwell

• 🤝
Reactions: George Maxwell

Sarai

Star Member
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2021
Well, whilst I'm here, are there any possible ways of still getting 2023 start date TC that anyone knows?
my friend got her freshfields TC (applied direct) for 2023 but it got moved to 2022, she applied last year. Because she had already done the LPC they wanted to make sure she would on a cohort that was also doing that and not the SQE.

TCinpipeline

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 31, 2021
Hi - I’m struggling to know which firms would be the right ones to apply to? Initially I thought I’m only interested in private client work so advisory not transactional legal practice areas. However I attended a webinar recently and the way they were describing a transactional practice area seemed very interesting how it covered ESG, dispute, etc attracted a variety of work. So although I’m not drawn to corporate or banking other areas like construction law seem interesting. Any thoughts on how to approach this?

I’m also still confused after reading posts here and on internet on what is meant by TC applications on a rolling basis. I initially thought they’re open all year but that’s not case as they all seem to have deadlines and no longer show/view application forms online. Thank you.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi - I’m struggling to know which firms would be the right ones to apply to? Initially I thought I’m only interested in private client work so advisory not transactional legal practice areas. However I attended a webinar recently and the way they were describing a transactional practice area seemed very interesting how it covered ESG, dispute, etc attracted a variety of work. So although I’m not drawn to corporate or banking other areas like construction law seem interesting. Any thoughts on how to approach this?

I’m also still confused after reading posts here and on internet on what is meant by TC applications on a rolling basis. I initially thought they’re open all year but that’s not case as they all seem to have deadlines and no longer show/view application forms online. Thank you.
You could try and attend more networking events and webinars with firms who are known to have a transactional focus/prowess. This could help you better gauge whether you're simply intrigued by this area or if you're potentially interested in engaging in transactional work.

Ultimately, a narrower focus while making applications is generally better as you're able to develop and demonstrate your motivations more deeply. But if you find that even after putting in the legwork to understand what you like better that you're equally interested in both areas, then you could consider applying to firms in both areas and seeing where you have more luck.

TC applications on a rolling basis i.e. where firms assess applications on an on-going basis even while having an advertised deadline could mean one of two things- either that firms review applications on a rolling basis or they offer TCs on a rolling basis.

With rolling basis deadlines is often better to apply earlier in the cycle to have better chances for encountering less competition for each place and avoiding the possibility of the deadline being brought forward or places filling up before the deadline. That being said, your application will most likely be considered regardless of when you apply so don't let the 'rolling basis' wording mislead you into thinking that the early days of the cycle is the only 'right' time to apply.

I hope this helps?

Reactions: djqb

Beluga

Star Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Jan 31, 2021

If you want some insight into practice areas I would suggest watching some of Clifford Chance's On-Demand Videos, they have individual talks for some of their practice areas (including Corporate and Finance but also more niche like Real Estate) which might give you a bit of insight into what kind of work goes on there.

Here is the link:

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
It's been nearly 6 weeks since I did a second round interview and I haven't heard anything (other than an email asking where I'm up to with my other ACs at the beginning of february). My chaser email from a couple of weeks ago didn't get a reply. Other people have had calls receiving offers 1-2 weeks ago so my assumption is that I wasn't successful - especially as the scheme is fast approaching (4 april start).

Is it still worth calling to check when I will hear back- or am I better off assuming I've been ghosted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.