TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AspiringTrainee

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 22, 2021
    Hi @hunt4tc500 and @IsaacDundas congratulations on your AC invites! May I ask how many questions you were asked during the telephone interview? If I also may ask - what are the broader theme(s) of the telephone interview, were they competency/strengths or commercial awareness related?

Thank you! - As I applied for 2024 TC and have yet to receive a telephone interview invite, I'd much likee to know just in case I do get invited.
    I was asked 7 set questions - they don't deviate from their question list. They are also fairly strict with the 30 minute time so try not to talk too much so to speak. I will say the questions are very standard competency-based questions and they will have your application open with it so you can always refer to your application, I did. They do say they will ask commercial questions, personally, I was not asked one but I did try to put my own experiences and the wider commercial context into every question. Definitely prepare the classic why law why them questions too.

Reactions: TCG and John Doe

relentlesspursuit

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 26, 2019
    I was asked 7 set questions - they don't deviate from their question list. They are also fairly strict with the 30 minute time so try not to talk too much so to speak. I will say the questions are very standard competency-based questions and they will have your application open with it so you can always refer to your application, I did. They do say they will ask commercial questions, personally, I was not asked one but I did try to put my own experiences and the wider commercial context into every question. Definitely prepare the classic why law why them questions too.
    @IsaacDundas I can confirm that they have 7 set questions (I was asked a follow-up to one but my interviewer made it clear that this was a detour). The questions are largely motivational and competency so if you prepare those in a flexible manner you should be fine (i.e. think deeper about your competencies).

John Doe

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 18, 2021

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Just did a Slaughter and May training contract interview. No idea how it went - some answers were good and others not so much. Really couldn’t get a feel from the partners either on how it went. Anyone had an experience with this?
    I feel like sometimes interviewers purposefully do not show emotion or react to your answers but I'm unsure exactly why. It could be to not give away how they view your suitability as a candidate or to test how you behave under pressure or in uncomfortable situations. It's unsettling but you have a good shot in the circumstances you were presented with and that's really the best you can do.

FT

Junior Lawyer
    Nov 18, 2021
    Does anyone know when the written exercise for Freshfields AC is sent? I have an AC early next week but haven't received the written task yet.
    They are supposed to send it to you way in advance so if it isn't in your spam folder I would email grad rec. I had my AC today and had to remind them to send it to me yesterday - didn't get it until yesterday late evening.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.