TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Latham 'strongly recommends' not to re-apply in the same application cycle.

Should I just presume there is no real chance to succeed in the same application cycle (vac scheme / direct TC) even though I believe my application has significantly improved?

Other firms say (differently) that they 'will not' take a second application in the same cycle.
Is your application going to be significantly different? If not, then I personally wouldn’t bother reapplying given the messaging.

Reactions: Scandi and AvniD

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
hi, I have two questions please:
- I have completed an application form but I am waiting for my final degree results which I get next week. should I submit now or just wait ?
- also, does any one know if Freshfields tc is rolling ?

thank you !
If the TC is rolling, I'd send the application now and update the application portal or email grad rec with your final results when you have them.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Latham 'strongly recommends' not to re-apply in the same application cycle.

Should I just presume there is no real chance to succeed in the same application cycle (vac scheme / direct TC) even though I believe my application has significantly improved?

Other firms say (differently) that they 'will not' take a second application in the same cycle.
In what way do you think your application is stronger? Have your grades significantly improved, do you have more developed answers to the questions etc.?

Reactions: Scandi

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi guys,

When talking about the firm's international reach can you mention the Chambers & partners global rankings?
You could but that doesn't necessarily relate to a firm's global reach per se. How are you planning to phrase it?

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
That's a good point, I could actually mention its presence in more than 50 countries and headcount of 3700 global lawyers.
You could. I would also look at the amount of inter-office collaboration and cross border work though. International reach doesn’t really mean anything if they have 50 offices but they all keep the work to themselves and the London office only does UK based work for UK based clients.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
You could. I would also look at the amount of inter-office collaboration and cross border work though. International reach doesn’t really mean anything if they have 50 offices but they all keep the work to themselves and the London office only does UK based work for UK based clients.
Yes I found a deal involving more than 6 offices.

YJ

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2021
Screenshot 2022-07-09 at 16.23.47.png
Screenshot 2022-07-09 at 16.24.25.png

The Norton Rose Fulbright website says that penultimate years can apply, however when I try to apply it says only final years or graduates. Can anyone advise?

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Is it bad to begin almost every sentence in my application with "I.." ?? Like "I experienced.." "I also.." "I honed.." This is for "why law" and "why me"
If you're beginning every sentence with 'I', you're probably not setting enough context for the reader to understand the circumstances in which you did or developed something. If you think this isn't an issue and there is enough context even with almost every sentence beginning with 'I', then trust your instinct and go for it.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is it bad to begin almost every sentence in my application with "I.." ?? Like "I experienced.." "I also.." "I honed.." This is for "why law" and "why me"
I’d try to mix it up - there is a risk that it could sound more repetitive if most sentences start with the same phrase/word.

lawnoob

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2021
Is it ok to contract practice area names without bracketing first? So if I first say 'Capital markets' then continue with CM for the rest of the paragraph, is that fine? Or should I just stick with CM the whole way?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is it ok to contract practice area names without bracketing first? So if I first say 'Capital markets' then continue with CM for the rest of the paragraph, is that fine? Or should I just stick with CM the whole way?
I wouldn’t do shorten practice department name unless the firm does, eg like an acronym like IP/IT or ACT.

So with your example I would just use Capital Markets, not CM.

Reactions: lawnoob

malvern3142

Star Member
Jun 30, 2022
Is Kirkland & Ellis' work/life balance really as drastically bad as it's reported? Legalcheek says average finish time is 11.30pm. As notorious as US firms are long hours, surely an average workday of 14 hours couldn't be accurate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.