TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammie

Star Member
Nov 13, 2019
Edited it as missed one of your questions.
Thanks, @Jessica Booker !
Just checking, in regards to apostrophes, would it be correct to say, for example, "Linklaters' clients' performance" ? Linklaters/Freshfields/Lathams (all ending with S, in context of multiple clients)
What about "Boris's plan for the economy", won't it also be "Boris' plan for the economy" when you write that as opposed to saying it out loud...

TK123

Jun 30, 2021
Hi all. Apologies if this has been dealt with elsewhere but can't seem to find it. Does anyone know where I can find resources for preparing for VIs. Have one at W&C and as it's my first, I am a bit lost. Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks, @Jessica Booker !
Just checking, in regards to apostrophes, would it be correct to say, for example, "Linklaters' clients' performance" ? Linklaters/Freshfields/Lathams (all ending with S, in context of multiple clients)
What about "Boris's plan for the economy", won't it also be "Boris' plan for the economy" when you write that as opposed to saying it out loud...
Technical both Boris’ or Boris’s is grammatically correct. It’s a style, which is purely preferential. You might want to have a read of this article:

I’d personally restructure the sentence to avoid the double possession of Linklaters’ clients’ performance just so the sentence is less clunky.

D

Deleted member 2707

Congratulations! That is amazing news.

Proud Lin Manuel Miranda GIF by Emmys
Thank you Jessica! Not sure how I missed this comment. Your comments have been invaluable to me and for a lot of people on this forum!

pbyrne

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 15, 2021
Hi pbyrne!

Congrats on the TC!

Would you mind sharing which YouTube videos you found useful when writing ur apps??

Thanks!

Thanks v much!

In terms of guides on writing applications and research etc, the two channels I found most useful were these:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLgasrnDE3pP_TYTmDrmSTQ

https://www.youtube.com/user/idinsab

I also use a lot of podcasts on Spotify for commercial awareness, a lot of law firms have their own and you can search for the names, but I also used Law Pod UK, Mlex Market Insight, FTAdviser Podcast (and actually all the FT podcasts), Law in Action, The LawCareers.Net podcast, any of the Economist podcasts, Commercial Awareness with Watson's Daily, Thinking Commercially,

Reactions: DaN_97_ and Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I'm still shaking but I was just offered a TC from Macfarlanes! Had a SH interview 20 minutes later in which I completely just lost focus but I can't believe I am here right now and honestly I am just shocked beyond belief. TCLA has been such a huge help and if anyone needs any help just PM me. :)
    Really happy for you, well done!

crazycabbage

Aug 21, 2021
    Hiii — I’ve been watching silently from afar for a little while but thought I’d jump in. Has anyone had a final partner interview or heard back re training contract decisions from Fieldfisher??

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.