TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    haven't done this test in a while so just took me a little longer than i anticipated to do it, not sure on the outcome as yet!
    It took 2 days for me to get an email that I passed so you shouldn't have long to wait! Just confused how they said I passed but I'm on hold due to "lots of candidates being ahead of me in the process"?

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    It's obviously impossible to tell with these things, but would people say a partner interview running over is a good thing or a bad thing?
    Really just depends on the context of the interview imo. Can be a good thing if the partner showed genuine interest in your answers, can be a bad thing if your answers were overlong (meaning the partner couldn't assess you on everything), or might not make much of a difference at all (eg if it overran because you asked questions)

Reactions: LlamaLaw

Anya B

Distinguished Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    Has anyone got any tips for approaching/practicing the maths themed tests for firms such as Deloitte and KPMG? I've not passed these previously despite my maths being fairly strong in the past :(

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Has anyone got any tips for approaching/practicing the maths themed tests for firms such as Deloitte and KPMG? I've not passed these previously despite my maths being fairly strong in the past :(
    I've passed both recently and I wouldn't say maths is my strong point either, do you know for definite that its the maths part you fell down on? I think just looking at the graphs in detail and knowing how to calculate percentages/percentage increase/ratios would be all you need! And a notepad and pen for all your working out!

Reactions: Anya B

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    It's obviously impossible to tell with these things, but would people say a partner interview running over is a good thing or a bad thing?
    Unfortunately it doesn't mean anything. There are both good and bad factors that contribute to an interview’s length.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    When discussing a deal in the interview, does it have to involve the London office of the firm?
    It doesn't haven't to.

But it depends on the context of why you are talking about deal. If it is just about your general interests/something you have read, then it's not an issue.

If it is more about your interest in the work you would be doing at the firm, then it is definitely more important to ensure the work is done by the office you will be working in.

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    They said 2 weeks but because I have another AC tomorrow they would try get back to me sooner. Its only been 3 working days, so I'm probably being impatient...
    Honestly its hard not to be impatient when you're waiting for an outcome! I would say you'd probably be waiting past the 1 week mark but looking back on this forum you might be able to gauge how long people have waited before. Good luck for your other AC!

• Love
    Reactions: hopefullawyer101

anxiouslawyer

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 26, 2021
    Anyone know how long Slaughter and May take to get back to you after an AC?

I submitted my application 2 weeks ago and still haven't heard back! How long did you have to wait post-app to get an AC invitation?

On a side note, anyone else applying to Clifford Chance? I struggled with the personal statement last year and probably came off a bit boring - it's 600 words and given the instructions, I'm assuming they don't really want you to talk about work or academics since those are covered off elsewhere in the form :

You have told us about your academic achievements and work experience and now, in no more than 600 words, we are keen to hear more about you. This should include your extra-curricular activities, positions of responsibility and an achievement of importance which you are most proud of.

Am not quite sure how to approach this as a more mature candidate, given that quite a few of my interesting experiences / achievements are work-related? Is it alright to discuss work-related things but angle it more from a personal perspective of what the challenges were and what I learned? I do also have some volunteering stuff to talk about, e.g. founding the women's network at my previous company, but don't think I could fill 600 words with just that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.