TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AspiringSol

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer 6
Nov 9, 2020
Does anyone have experience with navigating Clifford Chance’s mitigating circumstances policy? They ask for proof from a third party within 24 hours of their contacting them which might be quite awkward (I’m out of university and my doctors aren’t that great at responding so quickly)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone have experience with navigating Clifford Chance’s mitigating circumstances policy? They ask for proof from a third party within 24 hours of their contacting them which might be quite awkward (I’m out of university and my doctors aren’t that great at responding so quickly)
Have you got any documentation from your doctors/university that you could submit within that 24 hour period?

AspiringSol

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer 6
Nov 9, 2020
Have you got any documentation from your doctors/university that you could submit within that 24 hour period?
I have documentation but from my understanding they wanted this from the actual third parties? But do you think it is possible for myself to submit the evidence (this would be a lot more ideal)?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have documentation but from my understanding they wanted this from the actual third parties? But do you think it is possible for myself to submit the evidence (this would be a lot more ideal)?
If it is clearly from the third party (eg on head paper) I think this is fine. No one would be able to guarantee a reference from anyone within 24 hours (which seems super bizarre if that’s what they are really asking for).

Reactions: AspiringSol

Iris best

Distinguished Member
Oct 29, 2020
Just got rejected after an AC. I know it happens and I should get over it but I honestly just feel like I’m not good enough and can’t carry on. No matter how much work I put in... it doesn’t seem to be enough :(

I know I should see the move to AC as an improvement from last cycle but I don’t understand how people pick themselves up after getting SO close for an amazing firm. It feels almost more personal now

AspiringSol

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer 6
Nov 9, 2020
If it is clearly from the third party (eg on head paper) I think this is fine. No one would be able to guarantee a reference from anyone within 24 hours (which seems super bizarre if that’s what they are really asking for).
this is what the website states: “We'll take any mitigating circumstances relating to your academic record into consideration only if they've been submitted and approved by your exam board or relevant body. Please give full details in the relevant section at the end of the application form.
We'll also ask for proof in writing from your exam board and verification by a third party such as your doctor or tutor. This information will usually need to be returned within 24 hours of our request.”

Unfortunately, I do not think I have any exam board documentation from my university regarding mitigating circumstances? Do they want me to write to my university to obtain this? Also the grades I want to mitigate, I do not think I actually applied for mitigating circumstances at that time hence resulting the lower grades

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
this is what the website states: “We'll take any mitigating circumstances relating to your academic record into consideration only if they've been submitted and approved by your exam board or relevant body. Please give full details in the relevant section at the end of the application form.
We'll also ask for proof in writing from your exam board and verification by a third party such as your doctor or tutor. This information will usually need to be returned within 24 hours of our request.”

Unfortunately, I do not think I have any exam board documentation from my university regarding mitigating circumstances? Do they want me to write to my university to obtain this? Also the grades I want to mitigate, I do not think I actually applied for mitigating circumstances at that time hence resulting the lower grades
The university is the exam board, but if they are not aware of the circumstances, they aren’t going to be able to provide anything even if they could meet the timescales.

Universities can’t apply mitigating circumstances retrospectively. It is why raising it with the university is so important at the time of the circumstances happening.

Reactions: AspiringSol

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker , is it stupid to claim mitigating circumstances at CC without proof then? Will they have no effect then?
You can still claim them, it’s just the firm might not take them into consideration.

It’s odd language to use as some mitigating circumstances don’t impact your studies. Instead they can impact your ability to build out work experience or extra curriculars, and there would be no “exam board” to verify those circumstances.

They must have some flex on this policy - which to be frank sounds ridiculous and unrealistic even for those people who do have evidence.

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Has anyone heard back from Deloitte regarding their Autumn 2022 TC? I completed my Job Simulation over 4 weeks ago now :)

BeGrateful.101

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 1, 2021
    is it too late to apply for Slaughter and may's direct tc for 2024??? it closes on 29th october.. didn't even know the application was opened.. does anyone know when it opened?

anxiouslawyer

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 26, 2021
    Anyone know if it's worth applying directly for a TC at Hogan Lovells? I'm a bit confused because the grad rec staff at an event I attended today suggested it's better to do a VC if you can, since the direct TC spots are basically whatever's left over after they've chosen their VC students. But also the direct TC applications seem to be open from now until January for law grads, so would've thought that means they're assessing their direct TC applicants in parallel.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Anyone know if it's worth applying directly for a TC at Hogan Lovells? I'm a bit confused because the grad rec staff at an event I attended today suggested it's better to do a VC if you can, since the direct TC spots are basically whatever's left over after they've chosen their VC students. But also the direct TC applications seem to be open from now until January for law grads, so would've thought that means they're assessing their direct TC applicants in parallel.

I’d probably stick to the GR’s advice here. A lot of firms leave direct TC apps open but don’t start interviewing until offers have been made to VS students

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.