TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopefullylaw2000

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 11, 2020
Hi everyone ! I am just wondering what to do about volunteering positions (I volunteer at 3 places committing 1-2 hours per week) if I have talked about them in a cover letter / personal statement? Should I also include them in the work experience or not? For example, I volunteer (not pro bono) for uni marketing services so not sure whether to put this in my work experience?

Reactions: CC03

CC03

Valued Member
Nov 24, 2021
Hi everyone ! I am just wondering what to do about volunteering positions (I volunteer at 3 places committing 1-2 hours per week) if I have talked about them in a cover letter / personal statement? Should I also include them in the work experience or not? For example, I volunteer (not pro bono) for uni marketing services so not sure whether to put this in my work experience?
I have put my volunteering positions in my work experience sections and so have many others I know of! No problem at all - I wouldn’t limit on what you write in the work experience sections. Those can be the particular skills/experiences the recruiter could be looking for :)

Reactions: anxiouslawyer

Lian Lian

Distinguished Member
Feb 2, 2021
Hi all, I am planning to apply for a direct TC to Freshfields but I missed out on the webinars they held in autumn. Does anybody know if Freshfields uploaded a recording of it? Cause I can't find it on their website

Yas

Aug 10, 2021
Hi all, I am planning to apply for a direct TC to Freshfields but I missed out on the webinars they held in autumn. Does anybody know if Freshfields uploaded a recording of it? Cause I can't find it on their website
Not sure about the webinars, but you can also check out their Instagram (@freshfieldsgrads): https://instagram.com/freshfieldsgrads?utm_medium=copy_link

If you look on their stories tab they have a Grad Rec Q&A from a couple of weeks ago, as well as a Q&A from last year with some helpful tips :)

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
Dec 21, 2021
@Jessica Booker @Jaysen @AvniD

Would appreciate your thoughts on the following- I've missed some of the deadlines for VCs so was going to apply for direct TCs for some firms. A partner at a US firm (from a mentoring scheme I'm on) has mentioned that it might be best to hold off until Sep 2022 and apply to VCs then rather than direct TC now, given that the intake is a lot lower. They suggested that it might be detrimental to apply both now for a direct TC and then a VC in next window as reapplying
to firms lowers chances of progressing.

Last edited:

Zaidoz10

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2022
Does anyone have any advice for the Clifford Chance TC interview? I am super nervous and any guidance/advice/tips would be eternally grateful. Thank you!!
Hey, if you don’t mind me asking, when did you hear back regarding your application? I applied to the Middle East TC with CC and I still haven’t heard back.

Reactions: deckoking123

Noodles52

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 24, 2021
    Evening, everyone.

Just a query - anyone applied to Simon Muirhead Burton before, and if so, roughly how long is there response? Don't expect anything soon considering my application was sent on Christmas eve lmao, but just curious. Thanks!

Tcapplicant

Legendary Member
    Jan 9, 2019
    Hey, if you don’t mind me asking, when did you hear back regarding your application? I applied to the Middle East TC with CC and I still haven’t heard back.
    Hey, I applied to the direct tc for 2023 so heard back in December. I wouldn’t worry about not having heard anything yet. They are super busy with ACs next week for 2023/24 I’m sure you will hear a positive result soon! Good luck!

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    @Jessica Booker @Jaysen @AvniD

Would appreciate your thoughts on the following- I've missed some of the deadlines for VCs so was going to apply for direct TCs for some firms. A partner at a US firm (from a mentoring scheme I'm on) has mentioned that it might be best to hold off until Sep 2022 and apply to VCs then rather than direct TC now, given that the intake is a lot lower. They suggested that it might be detrimental to apply both now for a direct TC and then a VC in next window as reapplying
    to firms lowers chances of progressing.
    I think if you have some work experience to back up your direct TC application with that you should go ahead and apply for them this cycle. Yes, direct TC intakes are generally lower but it is not at all impossible to secure a position through them. Though I am unsure if applying for direct TCs has an impact on future VS apps- @Jessica Booker any thoughts on this?

Penelope

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 2
  • Aug 14, 2019
    Evening, everyone.

Just a query - anyone applied to Simon Muirhead Burton before, and if so, roughly how long is there response? Don't expect anything soon considering my application was sent on Christmas eve lmao, but just curious. Thanks!
    They are incredibly slow at responding! I was invited to interview 13 or 14 months after submitting my TC application…

• Wow
    Reactions: JDC and Alison C

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
    Dec 21, 2021
    I think if you have some work experience to back up your direct TC application with that you should go ahead and apply for them this cycle. Yes, direct TC intakes are generally lower but it is not at all impossible to secure a position through them. Though I am unsure if applying for direct TCs has an impact on future VS apps- @Jessica Booker any thoughts on this?
    Thank you!

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD

Bec

Premium Member
    Dec 20, 2021
    Hello, I am a bit stuck on the following Fieldfisher application question: "Please provide us with more details of your achievements, scholarships, positions of responsibility, insight schemes, open days and virtual work experience opportunities, extra-curricular activities and everything else that interests you"

I did plenty of charity and pro bono work alongside my studies at University, however I gradated in 2019. I spent some time after graduating working in various industries as I wanted to pick a career path that I would really enjoy and I wanted to try some things out. I decided in 2021 to go back into law and I have been paralegal for 7 months now. The problem is - I have been very focussed on working over the past few years with long hours, that I haven't really participated in extra curricular activities like I did at University. I read and paint as my hobbies. I also have been attending various seminars run by law firms to learn about their practices and current topics etc.

I'm really stuck as to what I can talk about. Can I talk about my university extra curricular activities even though they were in 2019? Can I talk about my current hobbies like reading and art even though it's not really a notable achievement? Can I even talk about my various jobs that I have had over the past few years as they have helped direct me back towards law? Any advice at all would be really appreciated!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.