Not open for further replies.

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
TC offer at my dream firm. I was rejected at the final stage of the TC application process for another firm that I loved last cycle which was so disappointing. I couldn't have done this without the support and information provided by this forum! It's really true - keep going and you will get a TC at the firm that is absolutely right for you.
YAYYYY

Reactions: Anabelle4567

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
with regard to the white & case direct application - the section that asks "please give details of any interests and extra-curricular activities, including any positions of responsibility or achievements." is separate from the covering letter

should i treat this as the area to put my "why me" section from my covering letter? or still include a why me section in the letter? seems like theres a lot of crossover and not sure what would be different between the two
I would focus specifically on the details of the activities/experiences and what skills you gained :)

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
I don’t know the specifics for White & Case. I wouldn’t expect one module to weigh that heavily though. The only issue is if the firm has a general policy for sponsored trainees that they have to pass the LPC on first sitting, as they are likely to apply the same policy to self-funders too
Adding onto Jess’ answer - it depends if there were mitigating circumstances around the resit or whether it was a case of not passing the first time? Do let us know and we can chat through it again!

Zaidoz10

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2022
Adding onto Jess’ answer - it depends if there were mitigating circumstances around the resit or whether it was a case of not passing the first time? Do let us know and we can chat through it again!
I talked about mitigating circumstances in the application, but yes it was a case of not passing the exam the first time. I believe the firm shifted to the SQE so I’m not sure how much weight the LPC holds.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

MPSMM

Star Member
  • Jul 3, 2023
    I don’t know the specifics for White & Case. I wouldn’t expect one module to weigh that heavily though. The only issue is if the firm has a general policy for sponsored trainees that they have to pass the LPC on first sitting, as they are likely to apply the same policy to self-funders too
    Thank you, Jessica. Hi all - Please join the thread to share and receive updates on the White & Case 2025 training contract application process. https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/white-case-training-contract-2025.7790/

M0M007

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 6, 2023
    Hello @Jessica Booker , I hope you are doing well. I am currently applying to Latham's Direct TC and I have two questions:

1) For the "Why Latham" question, since they are highly ranked for several practice areas I am genuinely interested in, how would you suggest I explain my interest in their practice areas? Do I pick 1 only to maintain the depth of my answer?

2) For the following question; Please give details of your extra-curricular activities, and any prizes, scholarships, positions of responsibility, or noteworthy achievements that will support your application, would it be acceptable if I picked 3 specific activities/achievements/PoR and expand on them outlining the transferrable skills as well and then for the remaining activity/achievement/PoR, I simply list them?

I am asking because it seems that Latham removed the question of what transferrable skills will you bring to a trainee's role, so I wanted to fit both transferrable skills and all my other activity/achievement/PoR in the above bold question.

Thank you very much for always helping :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.