TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

islay6_5

Standard Member
Feb 9, 2023
I have been very lucky to receive a TC offer for a firm starting in 2025. As a non law student this would involve starting the GDL this September. My offer details do not mention anything about where this would take place or how I sign up for the GDL. Could anyone please advise how this process normally works, for example would I required to find accommodation in London for this September to start the GDL or do firms usually allow future trainees to complete the GDL in any location (for example in your home city where you do not have to pay for rent) and how would this work with the maintenance grant, would this still be provided if you lived at home?

Reactions: Cryingtiger

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have been very lucky to receive a TC offer for a firm starting in 2025. As a non law student this would involve starting the GDL this September. My offer details do not mention anything about where this would take place or how I sign up for the GDL. Could anyone please advise how this process normally works, for example would I required to find accommodation in London for this September to start the GDL or do firms usually allow future trainees to complete the GDL in any location (for example in your home city where you do not have to pay for rent) and how would this work with the maintenance grant, would this still be provided if you lived at home?
You should speak to your firm about this. Policies around where you can study/which providers you can study with with vary from firm to firm.

Maintenance grants sometimes vary between London and outside of London, but you would still receive a maintenance grant even if you live with your parents or family. It may just be a slightly lower amount if that is outside of London (but that would still be the case if you were privately renting in another city too).

Call your graduate recruitment contact and ask to run through these points with them - it will be a very standard set of questions they are used to answering

enjcorps

Nov 3, 2021
Is anyone still awaiting a response from Freshfields post app?
Bit nervous now as it seems quite a few people have already got WG invites sent out. But I think this time last year they only stopped sending them out around 11th of August so not panicking just yet...just telling myself they haven't got round to reviewing ours yet lol 🤞. Having said that, I have spotted a couple of errors/typos in my app after submitting it so I'm not hopeful

bibss

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2020
Bit nervous now as it seems quite a few people have already got WG invites sent out. But I think this time last year they only stopped sending them out around 11th of August so not panicking just yet...just telling myself they haven't got round to reviewing ours yet lol 🤞. Having said that, I have spotted a couple of errors/typos in my app after submitting it so I'm not hopeful
I think they might do one last batch tomorrow (hopefully)

Mae East

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2022
I completed Freshfield's WG over the weekend but not heard from them since....:( Does anyone hear from them after WG? I am a bit nervous because from my experience, law firms tend to send out an interview invite within a few days (2-3 days) if you are successful...

enjcorps

Nov 3, 2021
They have sent invites the past two Fridays with a deadline for the following Monday. So, I think if they do another round of invites, it's likely to be tomorrow!
Can't fault that logic. It's probably better that they have the process of sending it out on only Fridays because that means that we have the entire weekend the dedicate to it, so for those of us who might be working or in school during the week, we can carve out some time to do it.

Good luck to you! Hope by 24 hours' time those of us who haven't yet heard back will be on here updating with 'Freshfields WG' :)

When did you apply by the way ?

Reactions: sibs23

sumi-na

Feb 11, 2023
Hi all. The Stephenson Harwood TC application does not specifically ask for academic awards.
The kind of thing my school gives out are dean's list award, and class medals.

I was thinking of including them in the section which says,
"Please use this space for additional information about your
undergraduate degree."

Does anyone have any insight about whether they actually specifically don't want this information.

Fd321

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Mar 3, 2023
Hi all. The Stephenson Harwood TC application does not specifically ask for academic awards.
The kind of thing my school gives out are dean's list award, and class medals.

I was thinking of including them in the section which says,
"Please use this space for additional information about your
undergraduate degree."

Does anyone have any insight about whether they actually specifically don't want this information.
I’ve always used that section to specify any awards I have received so I think you would be fine to put it in there

nbpp48

Star Member
  • Oct 20, 2021
    @Jessica Booker do you think that being diagnosed with an auto immune condition whilst studying for my LPC which affected my attendance counts as “extenuating circumstances”?
    I completed Freshfield's WG over the weekend but not heard from them since....:( Does anyone hear from them after WG? I am a bit nervous because from my experience, law firms tend to send out an interview invite within a few days (2-3 days) if you are successful...
    Completed WG this Monday; currently waiting for response

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.