TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

BM99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 12, 2021
Hey, thanks for your response! Any idea what a good percentile is for Freshfields?

Also, I'm a little confused about the Freshfields screening process. Getting a Watson Glaser invite isn't automatic but seems to be after an application review. After that though, are AC invites on the basis of just Watson Glaser percentiles? Or do they review applications again post the Watson Glaser?
Hey! I attended the Graduate Workshop and they said that they compare your percentile to other people to pick AC candidates, instead of defining a good percentile score. For AC invites, they will consider the application holistically.

jomar

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 20, 2022
Just submitted FF TC 2025 app. However no confirmation email, and when I go back to check submission, a few parts are just outright missing. Example: undergraduate grades, mitigating circumstances, and the personal statement upload. Anyone have insight on this?

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 11, 2021
Just submitted FF TC 2025 app. However no confirmation email, and when I go back to check submission, a few parts are just outright missing. Example: undergraduate grades, mitigating circumstances, and the personal statement upload. Anyone have insight on this?
I just submitted mine too and it's the same for me. I'm fairly certain that all these elements were there on the final review page before submitting so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

gw9

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 28, 2022
Do you have to complete freshfields Watson glaser by the deadline (5th jan) or does it get sent to everyone after the deadline has passed??
As far as I know, you only get sent the WG once your application has been reviewed so I would assume not - but I haven’t applied yet myself so can’t say for sure!

Equal_Rites

Dec 5, 2022
Hi everyone! This is my first app cycle, have applied to 6 vac schemes in total and my one response thus far, Reed Smith, have deemed me good enough to advance to the next stage :) I understand that a number of firms recruit directly from their TCs so my question is whether or not it would be worth applying for direct Training Contracts given that I only really made the switch to law in July (am a graduate). Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Happy New Year to anyone reading this and may all your TC related dreams come true!🎉

Reactions: CorporateCrocodile

mkap

Star Member
Dec 8, 2022
I am a bit confused how to interpret the following question:
Please outline the reasons why you wish to pursue a career in commercial law at Osborne Clarke.

I was wondering would I need to talk about my motivations for pursuing a career in commercial law first then discuss why I chose Osborne Clarke.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am a bit confused how to interpret the following question:
Please outline the reasons why you wish to pursue a career in commercial law at Osborne Clarke.

I was wondering would I need to talk about my motivations for pursuing a career in commercial law first then discuss why I chose Osborne Clarke.
It doesn’t necessarily have to be first, but I would make it clear why you specifically want to be a lawyer at the firm in your answer. If your answer could equally apply to someone in a non-legal job, then the answer would not be specific enough to commercial law.

To me, this question is also about the longer term career, not just the opportunity you are applying to.

D

daisy_yawn

Hi everyone! This is my first app cycle, have applied to 6 vac schemes in total and my one response thus far, Reed Smith, have deemed me good enough to advance to the next stage :) I understand that a number of firms recruit directly from their TCs so my question is whether or not it would be worth applying for direct Training Contracts given that I only really made the switch to law in July (am a graduate). Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Happy New Year to anyone reading this and may all your TC related dreams come true!🎉
If you have some legal work experience think it's worth a go! Some firms require a minimum number of weeks' experience in commercial law for you to apply to their direct TC (can't remember which!) so check that you satisfy these first.

Reactions: Equal_Rites

jomar

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 20, 2022
Looking for advice: I've got a place on a summer vac scheme at a firm this summer. However, not sure if I will get a TC out of it. What is the best way to articulate to firms that recurit direct TCs that you have secured a spot to show your value in the market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.