TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

CR7

Premium Member
Jul 23, 2022
Hi,

Not sure who is best to help me here, but I recently got offered a TC. The partner called me and let me know about the offer. The condition is that I have to complete (and pass) my LPC this year before Sep 2023. He has told me to let him know once I am enrolled on a course.

1. I haven't received a formal offer or an actual contract. Is this an issue? Should I seek to get one before I do anything like applying for the LPC? I trust the firm and the partner etc, I am just unsure of the process of all of this.

2. I have been informed that the LPC fees will be "reimbursed" and that I'll get a grant. I'm unsure if he actually means reimbursed here or whether he means "sponsored" instead since on Chamber Student, it does say that the firm sponsors the LPC. I don't have the funding to pay for LPC fees right now, so does anyone know how it works with firms paying for the LPC? Is it a matter for me to pay for them and then I'll get the money back?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi,

Not sure who is best to help me here, but I recently got offered a TC. The partner called me and let me know about the offer. The condition is that I have to complete (and pass) my LPC this year before Sep 2023. He has told me to let him know once I am enrolled on a course.

1. I haven't received a formal offer or an actual contract. Is this an issue? Should I seek to get one before I do anything like applying for the LPC? I trust the firm and the partner etc, I am just unsure of the process of all of this.

2. I have been informed that the LPC fees will be "reimbursed" and that I'll get a grant. I'm unsure if he actually means reimbursed here or whether he means "sponsored" instead since on Chamber Student, it does say that the firm sponsors the LPC. I don't have the funding to pay for LPC fees right now, so does anyone know how it works with firms paying for the LPC? Is it a matter for me to pay for them and then I'll get the money back?
How long since your call?

It sounds like the firm doesn’t have a preferred supplier and so sounds like you will pay for the LPC and then get the amount reimbursed . Depending on the LPC provider, they might be able to send the invoice directly to the firm (which is another way of doing it).

Ultimately I wouldn’t do anything until you have signed and returned your paperwork. The only issue is many of the LPC courses have either started or will start soon and therefore you may need to push for the paperwork to be sent soon, but that depends how long it’s been since the call.

Reactions: AvniD

CR7

Premium Member
Jul 23, 2022
How long since your call?

It sounds like the firm doesn’t have a preferred supplier and so sounds like you will pay for the LPC and then get the amount reimbursed . Depending on the LPC provider, they might be able to send the invoice directly to the firm (which is another way of doing it).

Ultimately I wouldn’t do anything until you have signed and returned your paperwork. The only issue is many of the LPC courses have either started or will start soon and therefore you may need to push for the paperwork to be sent soon, but that depends how long it’s been since the call.
Hi Jessica,

Thanks for the quick response.

Do you know which LPC provider can send the invoice directly to the firm?

It's been about 2 days. I called up ULaw today who have confirmed that they still have spaces for the LPC on my preferred campus and the deadline is 23 Sep, so hoping to submit an application to them in the next day or two as there is time-pressure on this.

Are you saying I shouldn't apply until I get the paperwork?

Bradley Draper

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2020
Passed the first interview stage of Travers Smith's Direct TC application! The next stage involves an individual piece of work that we are given two weeks to complete, followed by a virtual half day where an associate will lead us in an assessment which we are then given five days to complete.

If anyone has any advice or knows anything about this stage, please contact me!!! I would be eternally grateful :)

NaimK

Valued Member
May 6, 2019
Keep a level head and try to have fun with it. It is not super technical and the interviewers will try to guide you towards a discussion of the points that are salient for assessment purposes. I believe there are particular things that they are looking for you to address but I think there are also points for raising interesting/relevant comments even if it's 'off book' so to speak. When reading the article, focus in the first instance on making sure you understand what's going on in it at a fairly granular level BEFORE thinking about what you might want to say about it.

Thanks for this. Are there any sort of general commercial awareness concepts that I'm likely to encounter?

It seems like I'll have to be able to summarise whatever article I've been given to the interviewers.

samni

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 2, 2020
Thank you! No telephone interview for the direct TC process. It was an hour-long virtual interview with a partner (However, I think it can sometimes be with a senior grad rec member)
Thank you and congrats again! Have had radio silence since submitting so have even forgotten the stages hahah

LegalC

Star Member
Aug 23, 2022
I am bit concerned now since I also applied for the Birmingham office but got nothing other than the email telling me they are still reviewing applications last Wednesday. I guess it is a silent no then.
Waiting for Birmingham

Has anyone else received anything, either AC invite or PFO for the Birmingham office?
I had an AC invite last Friday for Birmingham

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

Thanks for the quick response.

Do you know which LPC provider can send the invoice directly to the firm?

It's been about 2 days. I called up ULaw today who have confirmed that they still have spaces for the LPC on my preferred campus and the deadline is 23 Sep, so hoping to submit an application to them in the next day or two as there is time-pressure on this.

Are you saying I shouldn't apply until I get the paperwork?
I don't know - but even if I did, it would also be down to the law firm.

2 days is no time at all - paperwork could easily take a week or two.

You could apply now but personally I would wait until you have your paperwork.

Maybe email the Graduate Recruitment team and explain that you are keen to ensure you have enough time for onboarding for the LPC but also have some questions about how the LPC fee process would work and therefore can you arrange a call with them.

You could then get all your questions answered on that call (e.g. how long the paperwork would take and how the paying the LPC fees work, plus anything else you want to know). You can explain given the LPC deadlines you'd be keen to catch up this week if possible.

Reactions: CR7

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks for this. Are there any sort of general commercial awareness concepts that I'm likely to encounter?

It seems like I'll have to be able to summarise whatever article I've been given to the interviewers.
Not general commercial awareness concepts unfortunately - the articles typically are not commercially law focused.

Reactions: AvniD and Rob93

sc29

Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 26, 2021
I can't believe I'm posting this but I got a call today from Freshfields with a TC offer! It came at 7 am ish so I was lowkey thinking it was a prank call haha After all these rejections I really can't believe this is happening! :')

LokieLow

Feb 12, 2022
I can't believe I'm posting this but I got a call today from Freshfields with a TC offer! It came at 7 am ish so I was lowkey thinking it was a prank call haha After all these rejections I really can't believe this is happening! :')
Massive congratulations! How long after the AC did you hear back if you don’t mind me asking

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Congratulations! This is amazing news

Well Done Congrats GIF by America's Got Talent

traineedreamer

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Oct 23, 2019
PFO from Travers Smith. Apologising for the delay, stating that they've filled all spaces for the next stage of the process and won't be holding anymore interviews.

I know it's not personal at all and part of the process but it's just so frustrating having this outcome when they had started giving calls for the next stage 2 weeks ago. I wish a firm would just take a chance on me 😩 (rant over)

the english lawyer

Aug 22, 2022
PFO from Travers Smith. Apologising for the delay, stating that they've filled all spaces for the next stage of the process and won't be holding anymore interviews.

I know it's not personal at all and part of the process but it's just so frustrating having this outcome when they had started giving calls for the next stage 2 weeks ago. I wish a firm would just take a chance on me 😩 (rant over)
re-apply to them. they've opened their winter vac scheme and i'm sure you could basically use the cover letter with a couple of changes to any recent work they've been doing/ awards they have won. don't give up with them or anyone else - it's a numbers game. the more you try, the greater your odds are!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.