Status
Not open for further replies.

DTB

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 21, 2019
    Hi everyone,

I wanted to apply to Allen and Overy and Linklaters direct TC. However, I have not undertaken a vacation scheme in the UK. Although, I did intern with a public law law firm for over a month in the UK, and have done law interviews in top corporate, and commercial law firms including paralegal work for 6 months but these have been outside of the UK as I am an international student.

Some firms website says that they usually prefer some work experience particularly in the form of a vacation scheme (Linklaters states this). I am wondering if they will consider my work experience outside the UK or if I should apply for a vacation scheme instead? The reason why I want to apply directly for a training contract is that I have just completed my LPC, and feel I am old and late in this process and want to get started asap!

I was wondering maybe if @Jessica Booker as a past recruiter what would have thought of such a candidate vs someone with more legal experience in the UK?

Thank you so much for the help!

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi everyone,

I wanted to apply to Allen and Overy and Linklaters direct TC. However, I have not undertaken a vacation scheme in the UK. Although, I did intern with a public law law firm for over a month in the UK, and have done law interviews in top corporate, and commercial law firms including paralegal work for 6 months but these have been outside of the UK as I am an international student.

Some firms website says that they usually prefer some work experience particularly in the form of a vacation scheme (Linklaters states this). I am wondering if they will consider my work experience outside the UK or if I should apply for a vacation scheme instead? The reason why I want to apply directly for a training contract is that I have just completed my LPC, and feel I am old and late in this process and want to get started asap!

I was wondering maybe if @Jessica Booker as a past recruiter what would have thought of such a candidate vs someone with more legal experience in the UK?

Thank you so much for the help!
    The trick lies in presenting your international work experience in a way that it translates to the UK context. Demonstrating knowledge of and experience in deals and contracts is an especially great way to do this, which I think you will be able to do without any trouble, given your paralegal experience. And your public law firm experience is a great way to show that you are able to work across practice areas and can adapt to the UK working culture. There's a lot to work with- you just have to use the experience you have and show firms why you think it's valuable.

Reactions: DTB

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Is it okay to reuse a position of responsibility/extra-curricular in an application form after being unsuccessful last year (a lot of other sections of my app has changed though)
    Yes, that is fine if it’s the still the best example of a what the question is asking.

DTB

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 21, 2019
    The trick lies in presenting your international work experience in a way that it translates to the UK context. Demonstrating knowledge of and experience in deals and contracts is an especially great way to do this, which I think you will be able to do without any trouble, given your paralegal experience. And your public law firm experience is a great way to show that you are able to work across practice areas and can adapt to the UK working culture. There's a lot to work with- you just have to use the experience you have and show firms why you think it's valuable.
    Thank you so much for this!

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD

stone’sthrow

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Nov 9, 2019
    Anyone successful with travers smith know, is it a big mistake if we didn’t explicitly say we’re applying to the firm because of its PE and corporate strength in the cover letter? I implied that I’m interested through writing about work experience in venture capital and by saying this led me to be interested in the complexity of such global work

stone’sthrow

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Nov 9, 2019
    Anyone successful with travers smith know, is it a big mistake if we didn’t explicitly say we’re applying to the firm because of its PE and corporate strength in the cover letter? I implied that I’m interested through writing about work experience in venture capital and by saying this led me to be interested in the complexity of such global work
    (And should we always be directly pointing to all areas of a firm’s biggest strength in written applications)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    (And should we always be directly pointing to all areas of a firm’s biggest strength in written applications)
    No - you don't always have to point to all areas of the firm's biggest strength - you have to focus on what is relevant to you and your candidacy. However, if everything you are highlighting is quite niche, then there can be a question as to why the opportunity with that firm is the right one for you if you might only experience those niches for a fraction of the time you are there. It really depends on what your motivations are though.

D

daisy_yawn

I didn't mention anything about their PE or corporate strength in my cover letter!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone know how to answer questions about how the current economic circumstances will impact law firms and their clients?
    I don't think there is one approach to this.

However, I would first identify the specific economic circumstances. This is a broad church of factors anyway, and although interlinked, different aspects of it will have different impacts. For instance, interest rates going up will have a slightly different impact to the value of the pound to the dollar.

By being specific with 1-3 economic circumstances, this then focuses your answer, which will, in turn, allow you to go into more depth than if you tried to explain the whole macro-economic system. You can then identify 2-3 key ways that particular economic circumstance then impacts the firm and the client (this might be different!). So basically try to focus and prioritise your answer rather than trying to answer all of it in one go (this will be muddled and longwinded!).

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.