TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

samni

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 2, 2020
They always say it'll be around a week till you hear back but it often takes longer. My friend who applied for their direct TC last year only got his offer in December and so did a majority of the people who were on his AC. Try not to worry!
Thanks so much for this! Hope we’ll have it a bit quicker this time haha
Did your friend mention the gap between AC and the final partner interview?

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Long time lurker, first time poster...

I've soaked up the guidance on these threads for over three years, when I first decided to move to the London after graduation and began applying for TCs here. I secured two vacation schemes (which ended up being virtual) whilst at uni but then failed to convert, both with little to no feedback. I made the move to London anyway and started work as a paralegal at a top 20 firm. I realised how much I enjoyed the work, and somewhat surprisingly, that I was good at it. I received strong feedback from colleagues and clients and applied internally for the TC, but then got rejected. Over the past three years, I have made well over 100 applications and completed 12 ACs. I'm sure so many of you can understand how I felt - wondering whether there was something intrinsically wrong with me that these people could see that I couldn't, something that told them that I would be a terrible lawyer. Over the last few months, I had given up hope that it would ever happen for me and began to consider moving home, where a TC would be far more easily attainable.

Last week, I received two TC offers (one from an international firm, and one from a US). Both agreed to bring my start date forward - I will be studying for the SQE for the next year, and starting at the US firm next September.

I have read so many of these posts over the years, and admit to rolling my eyes when anyone would say that you just have to trust that it will happen - but it will. If you have the resilience to keep up with this (often unrelenting) process, whilst managing whatever other responsibilities you have - you will get there.

If I can be of assistance to anyone, particularly those applying having not studied in the UK, please do let me know!
Massive congratulations - huge year for us non-UK folks!

keepmewherethelightis

Star Member
Oct 4, 2021
Hello! I am working on the Clifford Chance application and am a little confused about how to approach the question - "In no more than 250 words, tell us how the skills and attributes you have developed to date will help you excel as a Clifford Chance lawyer."

1. How much weightage (in terms of word count) should we ideally give to how the skills and attributes will help as a CC lawyer? I mean, how much are we expected to link it back to the role of a CC lawyer/trainee? Would explaining the skill/attribute with an example, and then just concluding with how it would help as a CC lawyer in one line, suffice?

2. Is it alright if I derive multiple skills from one experience (such as collaboration and communication)? Here, should I make different paragraphs for different skills, and separate conclusions for how it would help me as a CC lawyer? Or is a combined conclusion after describing the skills alright?

Sorry for multiple questions, have just been too confused with this question! Thanks in advance! 😅😅

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hello! I am working on the Clifford Chance application and am a little confused about how to approach the question - "In no more than 250 words, tell us how the skills and attributes you have developed to date will help you excel as a Clifford Chance lawyer."

1. How much weightage (in terms of word count) should we ideally give to how the skills and attributes will help as a CC lawyer? I mean, how much are we expected to link it back to the role of a CC lawyer/trainee? Would explaining the skill/attribute with an example, and then just concluding with how it would help as a CC lawyer in one line, suffice?

2. Is it alright if I derive multiple skills from one experience (such as collaboration and communication)? Here, should I make different paragraphs for different skills, and separate conclusions for how it would help me as a CC lawyer? Or is a combined conclusion after describing the skills alright?

Sorry for multiple questions, have just been too confused with this question! Thanks in advance! 😅😅
1. I would dedicate the entire word count to the stating a skill/attribute that will help you excel as a CC lawyer ➡️ how you know this skill/attribute will help you at CC ➡️ how you developed or have demonstrated this skill/attribute in the past. I would repeat this for each skill/attribute you'd like to talk about.

2. You could combine in this case, although you'd have to be careful to do this mindfully so that either skill/attribute doesn't come across as diluted because they've not been written about separately.

O

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 27, 2019
Does anyone have any tips or guidance on how to prepare for AO's numerical reasoning test (or the SJT and verbal reasoning elements)?

O

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 27, 2019
I think the numerical element was really straightforward so just use a calculator!

Thanks - do you think there is any need to prepare any formula sheets? Also, do you know if there are any practice tests, or ones you would recommend?

Find it a bit silly maths is involved...

keepmewherethelightis

Star Member
Oct 4, 2021
1. I would dedicate the entire word count to the stating a skill/attribute that will help you excel as a CC lawyer ➡️ how you know this skill/attribute will help you at CC ➡️ how you developed or have demonstrated this skill/attribute in the past. I would repeat this for each skill/attribute you'd like to talk about.

2. You could combine in this case, although you'd have to be careful to do this mindfully so that either skill/attribute doesn't come across as diluted because they've not been written about separately.
Thanks for the response, @AvniD! :D

A small clarification regarding the first question, my doubt is - For example, if the skill I'm demonstrating is collaboration - how much should I talk about how collaboration will help me as a CC lawyer?

lw2000

Distinguished Member
Aug 19, 2021
When answering an interview question on motivation could I talk about writing my dissertation? Like setting myself internal deadlines and goals e.g. having a chapter done by a certain date, setting aside time to read and reflect. Just worried that this is more of a generic example that most people will have done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.