Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, for the BCLP application, is it necessary to use all 500 words for each question? If anyone has any advice on the application in general and particularly and the situational judgment question about working as a trainee in the finance department would be really appreciated :))
I personally think many people miss a lot of the steps you should consider with that scenario based question and that the word count should be mostly utilised.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica, for video interviews that impose a time limit of 2 minutes per question, are candidates required to talk for the entire 2 minutes? or would the recruitment team look for quality over quantity? Thanks so much in advance! :)
I'd try to utilise most of the time (e.g at least 3/4s of it) - quality and structure is one thing, but you do need depth in your answer too.

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
Can someone please explain how Norton Rose Fulbright's Guaranteed Interview Scheme works? I have a disability and didn't get a VS interview a few years ago when I applied. Thanks

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    Can someone please explain how Norton Rose Fulbright's Guaranteed Interview Scheme works? I have a disability and didn't get a VS interview a few years ago when I applied. Thanks
    You have to meet the benchmarks at each stage to be offered an interview. The difference between this and a non-disabled applicant is that a non-disabled applicant who meets the benchmark of each stage could still be denied an offer if there are lots of people who meet the benchmark. This is because they will have limited spaces at interview stage and/or being offered a VS/TC. They may only have space to progress the very top applicants. If you are a disabled candidate, however, they will definitely progress you if you have passed the benchmark, regardless of whether you are in the very top applicants. Hope this helps!

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    You have to meet the benchmarks at each stage to be offered an interview. The difference between this and a non-disabled applicant is that a non-disabled applicant who meets the benchmark of each stage could still be denied an offer if there are lots of people who meet the benchmark. This is because they will have limited spaces at interview stage and/or being offered a VS/TC. They may only have space to progress the very top applicants. If you are a disabled candidate, however, they will definitely progress you if you have passed the benchmark, regardless of whether you are in the very top applicants. Hope this helps!
    Hi, this is super useful to hear - didn’t realise this was a thing that some firms did! Do you happen to know if the same applies for their direct TC route? Thanks ☺️

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    You still have to meet their criteria to be interviewed. What that criteria is is probably unknown, but it’s likely to go beyond minimum academic criteria.

It maybe that their applications are marked/scored in some way and that everyone who meets a certain minimum benchmark and is eligible for the GIS is interviewed.

Technically GIS doesn’t exist anymore as a government initiative and was replaced by the Disability Confident initiative, but this gives an insight into what this initiative expects:

DD3FE6C3-731B-4F15-A422-25319B8E3C03.jpeg EEC1622B-F276-407C-A27F-9426F3B88908.jpeg

Reactions: Tintin06

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, this is super useful to hear - didn’t realise this was a thing that some firms did! Do you happen to know if the same applies for their direct TC route? Thanks ☺️
    They will apply it to all vacancies - it will just be what the minimum criteria is for that specific role/opportunity that will change.

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Quick question that I'm hoping you may be able to help with @Jessica Booker, I am mostly applying for direct training contracts this year.

I'm wondering if I get to the interview stage for the Direct TC applications, will I be asked why I didn't apply for their firms VS? Considering it will be obvious I have applied to VS's, as I have two lined up.

I didn't apply for many VSs as I am in full-time employment atm and didn't want to be expending all of my annual leave on VS's. Does this sound like a bit of a cop-out?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.