TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aga123+

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2021
    Does anyone know if Cleary recruits primarily from their vac scheme (trying to decide whether it is worth applying since the deadline is so close)? Also, are tc applications reviewed on a rolling or non-rolling basis?
    (Thanks)

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    For Stephenson Harwood app:

One question is the usual why SH, but under this it says how have you researched the firm?

I have at the start of the answer, stated how I researched the firm in a short sentence, but it doesn't flow well, as I then immediately go on to talk about the work the firm completes and why I'm interested in this.

Can anyone that has been successful with SH, or applied and got past the first round let me know if they incorporated this into the answer or not? Thanks in advance!

Reactions: yimang

lw2000

Distinguished Member
    Aug 19, 2021
    Grateful for any advice on this - I am starting a paralegal job on Monday and hoping to complete some applications for the 31st July deadline. I'm not too sure how to talk about this experience as I imagine I won't have a complete idea of my roles and responsibilities within the first week as it seems to be mainly meetings and induction tasks. I do really want to include this as it is legal work experience but not sure how to go about it. Thanks.

modupebusola

Standard Member
    Jul 22, 2023
    Grateful for any advice on this - I am starting a paralegal job on Monday and hoping to complete some applications for the 31st July deadline. I'm not too sure how to talk about this experience as I imagine I won't have a complete idea of my roles and responsibilities within the first week as it seems to be mainly meetings and induction tasks. I do really want to include this as it is legal work experience but not sure how to go about it. Thanks.
    Was there a job description in the ad for your paralegal role? If so, maybe use that

Reactions: Jessica Booker

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. A slightly weird question to ask but when should a candidate look enthusiastic? Throughout the interview or only when being asked motivational questions? I have seen that while answering competency questions, I am not enthusiastic at all because my focus shifts to nailing the STAR structure. I have seen this with other questions too that require a great amount of detail. What would your advice be?

Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. A slightly weird question to ask but when should a candidate look enthusiastic? Throughout the interview or only when being asked motivational questions? I have seen that while answering competency questions, I am not enthusiastic at all because my focus shifts to nailing the STAR structure. I have seen this with other questions too that require a great amount of detail. What would your advice be?

Thanks.
    I don’t think it’s about being enthusiastic as such, it’s more about ensuring you are talking in an engaging way. You have to think of it as a conversation between people, but one where you are leading the conversation. You need to make it “enjoyable” to listen to you - but that is why tone/conciseness/eye contact etc are all important.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi @Jessica Booker,

I am currently applying for a direct tc and have to answer two questions.
    1. Main Social, Leisure, Sporting Activities including community service and positions of responsibility held
      1. At university (300 words max) *
      2. At school (300 words max) *
    The problem is that I finished my academic career a long time ago and I can barely remember those times. I do have some hobbies and enjoy social activities, but how do you suggest I approach these questions? Thank you in advance for your help.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker,

I am currently applying for a direct tc and have to answer two questions.
    1. Main Social, Leisure, Sporting Activities including community service and positions of responsibility held
      1. At university (300 words max) *
      2. At school (300 words max) *
    The problem is that I finished my academic career a long time ago and I can barely remember those times. I do have some hobbies and enjoy social activities, but how do you suggest I approach these questions? Thank you in advance for your help.
    Where they are explicitly asking for this period of time, I would make sure you cover them. It is usually an indication of how busy people kept themselves in education which can then help to weigh up people’s academic performance too.

If there is an additional section information, you could always include your current or more recent experiences in that section instead.

Reactions: S87

NMA

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 19, 2020
    Hi, all. Apologies if this has been asked before but what would be the dress code for an online interview for men? Should I wear a full suit with a tie if I don't want to lose any points here? Thanks.
    Hi, I always wear a full suit with a tie, and most group exercises I've been on the other guys also had full suits. Just my experience though

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.