TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

NMA

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 19, 2020
For anyone that is/was a paralegal or just worked whilst applying for TCs and had to use annual leave to attend ACs, did your employer question why you e.g. took only 1 day off? Basically I'm starting my first 'real' office job in my life post-uni, and I'm not really sure on what to say to them about booking one day off in a week to attend an interview.

Kevin1234

Star Member
Aug 1, 2023
For anyone that is/was a paralegal or just worked whilst applying for TCs and had to use annual leave to attend ACs, did your employer question why you e.g. took only 1 day off? Basically I'm starting my first 'real' office job in my life post-uni, and I'm not really sure on what to say to them about booking one day off in a week to attend an interview.
I would say it is best if you don't tell them even if they ask as you have no obligation to let them know why you are taking annual leave. However, they have the right to reject your AL request. Just curious, did you receive an invite to an AC and, if so, at what firm?

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    They don't usually ask. However, if someone is to ask an innocuous question like 'up to anything fun?', I usually reply with a fictitious hospital appointment.

Reactions: NMA

Pokeria

Jun 2, 2023
    They don't usually ask. However, if someone is to ask an innocuous question like 'up to anything fun?', I usually reply with a fictitious hospital appointment.
    I just said the truth that I would love to get a TC at this firm but since I do not have the opportunity I am looking to progress my career elsewhere

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    jus want HL + W&C to put me out of my misery
    Angry Spongebob Squarepants GIF

LegallyBrown

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 20, 2023
    Has anyone heard back from Macfarlanes post-AC?
    Hey, I’ve not heard back yet. I do recall them saying we will find out by the end of the week, though I’m not sure if they’ve started contacting successful people already.

NGL, I don’t feel confident personally. Definitely think I could have done better, but the waiting game is so crippling. Scared of checking my emails just in case their wee rejection is in there.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. Just wanted to ask you, How do I format open days, virtual internships, law society /campus events and attending virtual events through say legal cheek for my Slaughter and May 2 pager CV? Should I build on what I did at virtual internships in the cv or would an exhaustive list suffice. Thanks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.