TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
My W&C application had passed last year and this year’s one was upgraded and refined imo…with same structure
But this year was a rejection
Anyone gone through the same experience? I feel a bit lost at the moment
Speaking to someone at the firm might be good to do, either someone working there now or grad rec over the phone.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    My W&C application had passed last year and this year’s one was upgraded and refined imo…with same structure
    But this year was a rejection
    Anyone gone through the same experience? I feel a bit lost at the moment
    I am sorry to hear that but I think the competition this year has increased so don't be too hard on yourself. I got a rejection from Freshfields and my application was really strong as it was reviewed by 2 mentors. I think it is a numbers game and sometimes writing a really good application does not guarantee you pass the application stage for example if they receive 2000 applications and 30% of the strong applications look really good then they assess you based on your grades compared to other people and your work experience compared to others. Don't be too hard on yourself. Take a break for a few days then try to to critique how it could have been improved. Hope this is helpful.

Reactions: seriouslylegal

koko1029

Aug 16, 2023
    I am sorry to hear that but I think the competition this year has increased so don't be too hard on yourself. I got a rejection from Freshfields and my application was really strong as it was reviewed by 2 mentors. I think it is a numbers game and sometimes writing a really good application does not guarantee you pass the application stage for example if they receive 2000 applications and 30% of the strong applications look really good then they assess you based on your grades compared to other people and your work experience compared to others. Don't be too hard on yourself. Take a break for a few days then try to to critique how it could have been improved. Hope this is helpful.
    Thank you for your thoughtful response.
    I’m starting to lose hope at this point…my grade is a 65% 2:1. I do have a lot of legal work experience but if Firsts with legal work experiences and a strong app comes along…I can’t go back and change my grade 😭 Do you have any advice on how to recover from this slump?

Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Thank you for your thoughtful response.
    I’m starting to lose hope at this point…my grade is a 65% 2:1. I do have a lot of legal work experience but if Firsts with legal work experiences and a strong app comes along…I can’t go back and change my grade 😭 Do you have any advice on how to recover from this slump?
    No worries.

Trust me I am in the same situation and am starting to lose hope also.

My advice will be to take a break from applications and the forum a few days then come back after a few days and have a look at your application.

This is just my advice on what I would do plus I am entering my 5th application cycle so know the stress of applications.

stone’sthrow

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Nov 9, 2019
    Hi all,

Are there any virtual or London-based conferences (either for students or professionals), newsletters, groups, more niche search terms for LinkedIn other than ‘private equity’ you would recommend that I use to network with private equity professionals (legal or otherwise) outside of direct messaging them?

I want to get more involved with private equity law and my university careers service did not host many events with the private equity sector.

icl

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 21, 2022
    has anyone asked for WG test results from Freshfields and gotten a reply?? i sent them a 2nd email after sending one 10 days ago to ask for it

i hope they get back to me soon ik theyre doing interviews and ACs for tcs etc but i jus wanna find out whether my app was weaker in comparison to WG or vice versa
    yeah they replied after almost 2 weeks, I scored 78th percentile, didn't make it

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.