TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

missingh

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2022
Fieldfisher PFO -Genuinely thought I had a great app :(
same here :( from the email it sounded like it was bc it was rolling. Quite frustrating as I applied and did the test back in december yet there was a glitch on their side i think as they didn't receive the test results until i emailed them end of feb! i actively tried to apply before the deadline bc it was rolling :(

Njaliwe Ungwe

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 15, 2020
Hi, does anyone happen to know whether the Ashurst deadline is just for submitting the application or if it is for both the application and the test? I know that Pinsent Masons had a requirement that candidates had to complete both the app and test by their deadline.

evianmineral

• Mar 12, 2024
    Hi, does anyone happen to know whether the Ashurst deadline is just for submitting the application or if it is for both the application and the test? I know that Pinsent Masons had a requirement that candidates had to complete both the app and test by their deadline.
    Pretty sure the deadline is just for the application. They state that you will receive a test link within 7 days of your application which you must complete within 3 days. Then you will hear back in April/May.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Njaliwe Ungwe

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Freshfields post-AC pfo. Gutted tbh, as I've not even made it past the application stage for anywhere else and I'm in my final year of uni. My family don't have the money to self fund the SQE, my parents are retiring as well so I don't have the privilege of leeching off them for 2 years so I'm honestly really scared for the future
    I am so sorry for this and I can understand how stressful this situation might be for you. What I would say is to not give up right now, as much as this rejection might be quite soul-crashing (also given the fact that it was your only assessment centre), I would say that it is important for you to ask for feedback, reflect on it and learn from it.

Additionally, I can totally relate to not being able to rely on your family financially, so what I would say is that you should still work hard for the direct training contract applications opening really soon as you might have a chance (I have many classmates in my PGDL class who managed to get their training contracts thanks to this route being their first application cycle, and some only applied to one firm only) do it is totally possible!

Moreover, I would encourage you to apply to paralegal jobs or jobs in other sectors as this will give you the chance to have different job offers for next year and you will not be struggling as much financially. I was in your same situation even if I had a vacation scheme under my belt at that point, I started applying to direct training contracts and other jobs whilst I was waiting for the results because I could not afford to not have a job or plan by September.

Additionally, I would include some tips on how to deal with rejection and how to prepare for assessment centres that I wrote some time ago hoping they will be useful to you:

https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-156677

I hope this is helpful and good luck with everything!

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    To those who were successful with their farrer and Ashurst applications, would you be willing to have a chat with me? I would like to ask you some questions.

TCchaser24

Nov 20, 2023
    PFO from Bristows following interview on Friday last week. Considering I did the interview with a severe jet lag and only 4 hours of sleep, I still count it a win that I even finished it.... Also the convo felt genuinely engaging and I could click with the partner, but I guess you could never really tell
    hi, sorry to hear. I did my first round interview nearly a month ago and still havent heard back! was this also the first round interviews?

Izzy1026

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 23, 2023
    hi, sorry to hear. I did my first round interview nearly a month ago and still havent heard back! was this also the first round interviews?
    yes it was the 1st round interview. I am also surprised to hear back so soon because the interviewer said it will usually take 1-2 weeks. I genuinely don't think I was that bad to deserve an instant no! But well one never knows haha

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.