TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

missingh

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2022
PFO from Bristows following interview on Friday last week. Considering I did the interview with a severe jet lag and only 4 hours of sleep, I still count it a win that I even finished it.... Also the convo felt genuinely engaging and I could click with the partner, but I guess you could never really tell
sorry to hear this :( tbh, the interview for bristows is so different to any other firm so i really wouldn't take it as a bad sign as the questions are genuinely so rogue! Please don't let this affect your confidence for other interviews as I am sure you interview well!!!

Reactions: Izzy1026

Izzy1026

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 23, 2023
    sorry to hear this :( tbh, the interview for bristows is so different to any other firm so i really wouldn't take it as a bad sign as the questions are genuinely so rogue! Please don't let this affect your confidence for other interviews as I am sure you interview well!!!
    Thank you for the kind words! The questions were indeed brutal, but overall I felt I did fine so was really surprised to receive such a quick no! (Interviewed on Friday, rejected Monday afternoon UK Time) I hope your second round goes well!

• 🤝
    Reactions: missingh

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For firms that allow you to submit for both vac schemes and TCs in the same year (and have the exact same questions for both), would you recommend changing the answers between the two applications?
    Yes - I would update anything and refine anything, particularly making sure any motivational questions are more tailored to a TC vs a VS, and also as strong as they possibly can be as they are likely to be scrutinised more for a TC than a VS.

You should also try to showcase any development in knowledge or skills since your VS application, as given it was unsuccessful at some stage in the recruitment process, it will be important to show growth/development since you last applied.

Reactions: zoobla20

RonRod13

Distinguished Member
    Nov 18, 2023
    PFO from Bristows following interview on Friday last week. Considering I did the interview with a severe jet lag and only 4 hours of sleep, I still count it a win that I even finished it.... Also the convo felt genuinely engaging and I could click with the partner, but I guess you could never really tell
    Completely empathise with this, there’s nothing worse than coming out of an interview feeling like you smashed it and then getting hit with a fat PFO. It just makes you second guess yourself about future interviews too. Hopefully you get feedback though :)

zoobla20

Standard Member
    Premium Member
    Mar 15, 2023
    Yes - I would update anything and refine anything, particularly making sure any motivational questions are more tailored to a TC vs a VS, and also as strong as they possibly can be as they are likely to be scrutinised more for a TC than a VS.

You should also try to showcase any development in knowledge or skills since your VS application, as given it was unsuccessful at some stage in the recruitment process, it will be important to show growth/development since you last applied.
    Thanks Jessica!

Izzy1026

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 23, 2023
    Completely empathise with this, there’s nothing worse than coming out of an interview feeling like you smashed it and then getting hit with a fat PFO. It just makes you second guess yourself about future interviews too. Hopefully you get feedback though :)
    Thanks so much! Totally, I hope I can get feedback soon. My theory for the reason behind the PFO is that I did not prove to them sufficiently that I would have Bristows as my first choice. I have 1 VS coming up with a big law and they did ask for the details of that. I really don't know. But good luck to everyone else having their interviews soon, take my case as a lesson learnt haha

Reactions: RonRod13

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    • Love
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: Sharon Wu and lenalong02

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    To Farrer or not to Farrer?
    Any opinions on whether or not I should attempt an application for them when I haven't a vac scheme with them?
    Given a vacation scheme does not guarantee a TC interview (going by their Chambers profile) and they invite around 40 people to TC interview (and only have 20 vac schemers), I think the direct TC recruitment odds are pretty good.

Reactions: Legalstalker

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Given a vacation scheme does not guarantee a TC interview (going by their Chambers profile) and they invite around 40 people to TC interview (and only have 20 vac schemers), I think the direct TC recruitment odds are pretty good.
    @LillyandSilver Jessica is right! VS doesn’t not give TC interview. I still have to do a TC application although I have a VS there.

If you’re successful on VS you’re fast tracked to 2nd interview. But realistically it’s a free for all. Put an application in!!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.