Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I’m currently writing an application where there is no word limit to any of the questions. How should I approach this? I’m thinking of writing the standard 250-300 word answers I see a lot of applications have. I would appreciate any input @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre
How many questions are there?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
There are 4! Things such as why do you want to be a solicitor, what sets the firm apart etc
Then I think about 300 words roughly is fine - basically aim for the entire section to not be more than 1500 words. You can make one section slightly longer if you feel you need it and particularly if you haven’t used all the word count in the other answers.

Mar 11, 2024
Very pleased that after two years of smashing out applications I have *finally* got to my first AC for the Internal direct training contract at DWF :D (received the news just after I was leaving the test centre for a failed driving test - so softened the blow!). It's a strength-based interview initially so if anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it!!! :)
Can I ask which office you applied for please? I also applied internal direct TC route and received holding email on 29th Feb but still yet to hear anything about the interview? :)

Last edited:

LillyandSilver

Distinguished Member
Oct 18, 2023
Any tips on writing a personal summary? There is no word limit and no other questions. Is this just a cover letter? I feel like 600 words is too long but I wanted to talk about the firm as well as myself. How should I structure this?

trainee2025

Star Member
Nov 3, 2020
Any tips on writing a personal summary? There is no word limit and no other questions. Is this just a cover letter? I feel like 600 words is too long but I wanted to talk about the firm as well as myself. How should I structure this?
I would personally treat this in the same way as a cover letter but without the formalities. More like a personal statement. If you have ever applied to FBD this sounds like a similar question to theirs.
With that in mind I would use a why law - why the firm - why you structure. I think there is helpful guidance elsewhere on the forum about this. Length wise I usually try to keep cover letters (in the absence of a word limit) to around 1 side A4 (assuming 11pt font, justified text)

Reactions: Jessica Booker

hannah04

Legendary Member
Jan 9, 2023
Does anyone know what to include in the option "other experience" box on Ashurst's application? The form only allows you to enter 4 work experiences, so should you include all other work experience that you've done in this box, including dates, company, position and description?

Reactions: S87

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone know what to include in the option "other experience" box on Ashurst's application? The form only allows you to enter 4 work experiences, so should you include all other work experience that you've done in this box, including dates, company, position and description?
I would include any other work experience that you think is relevant to your application, even if this is other roles in the way you have described with dates, company and position - descriptions may need to be very brief depending on what you are including in this section.

Reactions: hannah04

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I would personally treat this in the same way as a cover letter but without the formalities. More like a personal statement. If you have ever applied to FBD this sounds like a similar question to theirs.
With that in mind I would use a why law - why the firm - why you structure. I think there is helpful guidance elsewhere on the forum about this. Length wise I usually try to keep cover letters (in the absence of a word limit) to around 1 side A4 (assuming 11pt font, justified text)
Completely agree with this! It’s just like a usual cover letter but without any formalities - you can just start with your opening sentence.

Reactions: trainee2025

desperateTCseeker1998

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2023
has nobody received an SJT invite for Bakers?

They said after the SJT, the next stage would be video interviews conducted in March to Mid-April.
Considering the email also had provisional dates which don't exist down for the ACs, I'm not giving the time frames too much weight. I haven't received a test yet either. Is the test def a SJT? Thought I saw somewhere that it was a WG... probs one of those ones which has a bit of both

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.