TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

desperateTCseeker1998

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2023
I got the invite to a test yesterday which had to be completed by Monday: the email said to contact grad rec before taking the test if you get adjustments, which I do, but no one will be back in the office until after the deadline has lapsed so what do I do? The email also says no extensions will be granted.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I got the invite to a test yesterday which had to be completed by Monday: the email said to contact grad rec before taking the test if you get adjustments, which I do, but no one will be back in the office until after the deadline has lapsed so what do I do? The email also says no extensions will be granted.
I am sure they will be able to take this into account given no one is able to respond to the reasonable adjustment request and will be able to extend the deadline in these instances.

desperateTCseeker1998

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2023
I am sure they will be able to take this into account given no one is able to respond to the reasonable adjustment request and will be able to extend the deadline in these instances.
I was planning on completing it without the adjustments just in case and emailing explaining that I was concerned I wouldn't receive a reply before the deadline and no extensions would be given, and ask for the chance to take it with the adjustments? Just to be safe?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I was planning on completing it without the adjustments just in case and emailing explaining that I was concerned I wouldn't receive a reply before the deadline and no extensions would be given, and ask for the chance to take it with the adjustments? Just to be safe?
It’s really difficult to advise on this as they may say that they can then only take your results from the first sitting with no adjustment. You should do what you think is the best approach for you.

StewartJones

Standard Member
Mar 30, 2024
Hill Dickinson holding email.
Stephenson Harwood rejection from spring VS (but I only applied to summer)
Did the Ashurst assessments. The numerical ones were all pretty brutal. They seem to be looking to hire mentats? (From Dune) Emotify was alright, but apparently I lack emotional understanding

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: hopefulforatc

LillyandSilver

Distinguished Member
Oct 18, 2023
There is a small firm I was thinking about applying to, on their website they say that the applications close in mid-April but on the application portal it says the 31st of March. What should I do? Should I just take this as an error on the portal, I know last year they did close on the 31st March but they changed the hiring process this year so it might be left over from then. should I rush an application now or see if I can apply later?

trainee2025

Star Member
Nov 3, 2020
There is a small firm I was thinking about applying to, on their website they say that the applications close in mid-April but on the application portal it says the 31st of March. What should I do? Should I just take this as an error on the portal, I know last year they did close on the 31st March but they changed the hiring process this year so it might be left over from then. should I rush an application now or see if I can apply later?
I would always rely on the earlier deadline being correct just in case.
E.g. if you see a site that says the deadline is 31st March and a separate site that says the deadline is 1st April, and you can’t find clarity elsewhere, just assume it’s 31st March to be safe & submit your application before the earlier date. There’s nothing worse than preparing a detailed application only to find out you’ve missed the deadline.

The general point that can be drawn from questions like this is that firms should be more clear on when their deadlines are. Imagine how many of these types of inquiries could be avoided if firms clearly stated that (for example) ‘our deadline is 23:59 on 31st December 2023…’
As it stands, however, most firms don’t provide that level of clarity, so I would always recommend submitting applications before the earliest feasible deadline is as opposed to the latest possible deadline. This should avoid being caught out by an unclear policy

LillyandSilver

Distinguished Member
Oct 18, 2023
I would always rely on the earlier deadline being correct just in case.
E.g. if you see a site that says the deadline is 31st March and a separate site that says the deadline is 1st April, and you can’t find clarity elsewhere, just assume it’s 31st March to be safe & submit your application before the earlier date. There’s nothing worse than preparing a detailed application only to find out you’ve missed the deadline.

The general point that can be drawn from questions like this is that firms should be more clear on when their deadlines are. Imagine how many of these types of inquiries could be avoided if firms clearly stated that (for example) ‘our deadline is 23:59 on 31st December 2023…’
As it stands, however, most firms don’t provide that level of clarity, so I would always recommend submitting applications before the earliest feasible deadline is as opposed to the latest possible deadline. This should avoid being caught out by an unclear policy
Thanks for this! I think the issue I'm having is that website very clearly states April 15 twice but when it says 'click here to submit application' it takes me to a custom portal (not like all hires) which says 31st March in the corner so I'm not sure what to do. I asked around apparently it was originally 31st March but they changed it on the website a few weeks ago to April 15. I have a few opportunities coming up in early april i would like to talk about in the app but should i just be safer than sorry?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.