TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

cleojwilliams

Premium Member
Jan 31, 2024
Does anyone know what the threshold to pass for Ashurst cognify test is, because that was so hard. If I did well in the emotify but not in the cognify, do I have a chance? Also do we get the results for the test in May/June with the response to our application as a whole or do we get the results earlier?

VMS

Star Member
Oct 16, 2023
Does anyone know what the threshold to pass for Ashurst cognify test is, because that was so hard. If I did well in the emotify but not in the cognify, do I have a chance? Also do we get the results for the test in May/June with the response to our application as a whole or do we get the results earlier?

Hi! I also did the Ashurst test and found it very difficult. For the block part I think I only completed 2 or 3 out of 7, so trust me you're not alone. I think everyone else will be in the same boat with having struggled in various games, so I wouldn't count yourself out just yet.

A worried final year

Esteemed Member
Mar 25, 2024
Hi! I also did the Ashurst test and found it very difficult. For the block part I think I only completed 2 or 3 out of 7, so trust me you're not alone. I think everyone else will be in the same boat with having struggled in various games, so I wouldn't count yourself out just yet.
Chances are the assessment is only a minor part too with the form and CV being looked at more considering it isn’t automatic.

cleojwilliams

Premium Member
Jan 31, 2024
The block one was horrible and I cant gauge how I did on the others because it would all go so quickly. With the proof reading I could not possibly get all the mistakes that were listed in the time.

Hanna Reeves

Mar 3, 2021
I went to a grad rec fair where they said the threshold to pass the test was not particularly high, they put more weight on the application itself. I don't think I did too well on the cognify games at all. Think I performed slightly better in emotify but I guess only time will tell!

I got an email stating they no longer recruit on a rolling basis but I applied on the deadline. Does anyone know when to expect to hear back - as in do they send out PFOs much earlier than the AC invites in May/June?

ccfuturetraineesolicitor

Distinguished Member
Feb 16, 2022
Can people please drop suggestions on where to find a grad job in law/job titles to search for? Can’t seem to find anything and paralegal jobs either pay you not enough to live on or ask for 50000 years of experience
From my personal experience, just apply to anything you think looks interesting (even if they ask for a minimum amount of years of experience) - if the recruiter thinks you’re a good fit, they will consider you, irrespective of the “mandatory requirements”

Reactions: Sharon Wu

RonRod13

Distinguished Member
Nov 18, 2023
Can people please drop suggestions on where to find a grad job in law/job titles to search for? Can’t seem to find anything and paralegal jobs either pay you not enough to live on or ask for 50000 years of experience
Or you could just apply for any grad job but do some pro bono volunteering at a legal clinic or do your own legal project on the side.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.