TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Do law firms like Mishcon De Reya, Bakers and other city international firms which aren’t US/MC/SC care about this to the same level?
I can tell you about Bakers from personal experience. I have horrible A-levels and a lot of 40s and 50s (out of a 100) in my degree. I have also retaken a module at university again since I failed it first time but have got an overall first in my degree (which if I am being honest, is easy to get in my jurisdiction). I've applied to Bakers twice and have made past their app stage both times.

• ℹ️
Reactions: hopefulforatc and Sharon Wu

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Do law firms like Mishcon De Reya, Bakers and other city international firms which aren’t US/MC/SC care about this to the same level?
There is generally no difference in these things across types of firms.

Unless a firm is stressing the importance of academic excellence in their marketing materials a couple of lower modules are really not going to be a problem in the vast majority of instances. Yes, there will be some firms who do care more than others but that won’t be defined by the category of firm.

AS24

Star Member
Apr 16, 2024
Hi @Jessica Booker,

I hope you are well.

I am currently completing an application and one of their questions is asking to give details of any academic awards, prizes or scholarships obtained after leaving school and state the year obtained, does the term school include or exclude university? Can I write about a University scholarship?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker,

I hope you are well.

I am currently completing an application and one of their questions is asking to give details of any academic awards, prizes or scholarships obtained after leaving school and state the year obtained, does the term school include or exclude university? Can I write about a University scholarship?
That will include university prizes/awards, so you can include the scholarship.

Reactions: AS24

evianmineral

• Mar 12, 2024
    I'm thinking maybe it's most likely a PFO but not 100% and the delay is because of a delay in marking some of the written exercises so far because they don't usually send PFOs until after they've rejected or progressed people who did the written AC and I have seen once before ACs go out on that day too.. thinking maybe they haven't marked all of the written exercises so far and so will wait to PFO us until they have in case they're shambolic and so decide to do some more ACs??
    yes agree, most likely PFO but they haven't done all rejections yet to hedge themselves if something shambolic happens with written ACs bc i did see someone on here get a PFO post written assessment and we still have nothing - but in these things i prefer to be cynical rather than optimistic as it's less sad when the PFO does come

• 🤝
    Reactions: VMS

desperateTCseeker1998

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 1, 2023
    yes agree, most likely PFO but they haven't done all rejections yet to hedge themselves if something shambolic happens with written ACs bc i did see someone on here get a PFO post written assessment and we still have nothing - but in these things i prefer to be cynical rather than optimistic as it's less sad when the PFO does come
    The email specifically said that the delay was because they had so many applications this year but I'm not really buying that the reason we haven't heard is because they're still getting through them haha

• Haha
    Reactions: hannah04

norothrow324

Legendary Member
    Apr 11, 2023
    I got my BCLP feedback back but it doesn’t state whether I have passed or not. The feedback report PDF ends with this:

“We hope that you have found this report helpful, have enjoyed learning more about your strengths and have gained some ideas for improving your performance in the future. The BCLP training programme provides access to a wide range of opportunities. You are pursuing a profession where life-long learning will be critical to your success.
    It is important to remember that the strengths in your report are a selection of the strengths that are important for becoming a successful trainee. There are likely to be many more strengths in your repertoire that we could not cover in this report.
    Thank you again for considering starting off your legal career with BCLP. We wish you the absolute best in your future career. Best wishes,
    BCLP Graduate Recruitment Team”

why does the last sentence sound like a rejection haha?

ztyh

Premium Member
    Jun 22, 2022
    "What personal or career goals do you have for yourself at present?" for this question, is it alright to substantiate with examples of steps already taken in achieving those goals? or should it focus on being entirely prospective, rather than retrospective? thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    "What personal or career goals do you have for yourself at present?" for this question, is it alright to substantiate with examples of steps already taken in achieving those goals? or should it focus on being entirely prospective, rather than retrospective? thank you!
    It would be a good idea to show what steps you have already taken, I would just ensure the goal isn’t achieved yet and has some balance as to what your future steps/plans are.

Reactions: ztyh

desperateTCseeker1998

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 1, 2023
    Does anyone know which firms that are still open for direct TC take a decent amount from that route? The TCLA post doesn't seem to be that accurate for this cycle - some firms which it says have a healthy direct TC intake aren't even opening for applications through that route this year
    Edit: not criticizing TCLA btw, they're just working with the info they have but things seem to be different this year - eg Latham have said they probably won't be opening for direct TC applications even though their website doesn't even imply that VS is their primary route, let alone that it's the only route.

Last edited:

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker , if a firm says that the cover letter should not be more than a single A4 page, can:

"Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours Sincerely,

XYZ"

come at the top of the second page since these are mere signing off formalities and not actual content?

Thanks in advance.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker , if a firm says that the cover letter should not be more than a single A4 page, can:

"Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours Sincerely,

XYZ"

come at the top of the second page since these are mere signing off formalities and not actual content?

Thanks in advance.
    No - I’d keep it to one page in its entirety.

(You can remove the first paragraph though - although polite, it isn’t needed).

• ℹ️
    Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.