TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

yasmars

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2021
1. Describe your proudest achievements and what challenges have you had to overcome? (200)
2. How could CMS use technology to help you further in your legal career? (CMS)
3. When have you delivered exceptional client service and how could this support you to be a successful trainee at CMS? (200)
Hey! If anyone has applied to CMS, could you tell me what the questions are on the application form? I haven't started yet and been wondering if I should apply there

AlexJ

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 23, 2022
    How realistic is to get a direct TC as a non-law graduate at a firm that doesn't run a Vac Scheme like Fried Frank or King & Spalding when I haven't done a Vacation Scheme since 2020? Would doing their Open Day help? Any other advice?
    At K&S you aren’t disadvantaged by being a non-law student. About 1/2 of current / future trainees are non law.

I would recommend attending the open day as it will help you learn more about the firm and develop your application!

Reactions: Tintin06

app03

Star Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2022
    Congratulations. May I ask are you still at uni or graduated ? If so, do you have legal experience? Just trying to understand chances of VS vs TC for this specific firm.
    Thank you! I am in uni (decided to do masters). I do have legal work experience although nothing directly commercial like a VS. From what I have heard, the firm heavily recruits from VS however, it does a small portion from TC route regardless of the VS outcome as they emphasis some applicants not having the option to apply for their VS.

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    Just went through the application portal for A&O direct tc and did not see a written application question? Is it the same for everyone else?
    There's no written questions in the application anymore. You do a very standard application with grades and work experience, then you get sent a link to a SJT and video interview questions. Should you be successful from there, then you have an assessment day :)

• 🏆
    Reactions: Ali A and HLL

lola15167

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 6, 2022
    Hi! Hope everyones doing well! For Gowling's application question "Why is ESG important to Gowling WLG, and how can lawyers proactively promote ESG best practices in the commercial world? (350 words)" How would one go about answering this? For the first part, should I talk about their clients and why ESG is important to them? and for the second part, again, should my answer revolve around their clients? Thank you!

Reactions: axelbeugre

aspiringlawyer47

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • May 27, 2022
    Has anyone heard back from the following places:
    1. BCLP (post test)
    2. Hogan Lovells (post test)
    3. Squire Patton Boggs
    4. Bank of England
    5. Gowling WLG
    6. Trowers & Hamlins
    7. Accutrainee
    8. Lloyd’s Marketing Association

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.