TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Runner

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jun 9, 2023
Hi everyone, I'm looking to do the PGDL in Jan, but can't decide between BPP or Uni of Law. Any insight/recommendations much appreciated
Hi, I'm currently studying the PGDL online at BPP so can't say anything about UoL but wherever you choose to do it, don't study it as a distance/remote learner if you have the choice financially. Seriously, the tech at BPP is quite appalling - half the time the workshops are very disjointed and other times, you get randomly kicked out from the digital class :confused:

Content-wise, BPP's assessments are 60:40 essay and MCQs, so you get quite a lot of MCQ style practice in preparation for the SQE. Pretty sure UoL must have something similar but I can't say for sure. Ultimately, I was led by cost factors and kind of kicking myself for it atm.

gg23

Nov 9, 2023
Hi, I'm currently studying the PGDL online at BPP so can't say anything about UoL but wherever you choose to do it, don't study it as a distance/remote learner if you have the choice financially. Seriously, the tech at BPP is quite appalling - half the time the workshops are very disjointed and other times, you get randomly kicked out from the digital class :confused:

Content-wise, BPP's assessments are 60:40 essay and MCQs, so you get quite a lot of MCQ style practice in preparation for the SQE. Pretty sure UoL must have something similar but I can't say for sure. Ultimately, I was led by cost factors and kind of kicking myself for it atm.
thanks so much for your reply and sorry to hear about your poor experience with online learning!

Reactions: Runner

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
hey, well done for even getting to that interview, slaughters' interview is notoriously difficult so don't beat yourself up! some tips I'd say that ive gotten as feedback would be that you have to be clear in articulation
providing a concise summary and the key points and taking a stance can be tricky but what they look for is cohesiveness and clarity in thoughts communicated! also when they challenge you on your points, you have to be flexible in incorporating their thoughts into your ideas but also not be easily swayed (unless you're completely wrong and want to acknowledge that with their new added info, you get the gist!)

I hope those tips help <33
This is great advice, thank you for sharing them as I am sure they will help a lot of people!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
CMS is non-rolling this year since they changed to a direct TC process. AC will not be filled before the deadline. This was confirmed my GR.

They advise not to rush the application and research the firm thoroughly before applying, this would also help with the VI and AC.
Thank you so much for sharing this valuable information!

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    CC say that most successful applicants have completed the forage scheme with them, surely they don't check this? Or do they just go by what applicants have ticked in the application form?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    CC say that most successful applicants have completed the forage scheme with them, surely they don't check this? Or do they just go by what applicants have ticked in the application form?
    Will be fairly easy to cross reference completion of the course - I just don’t think they would check what people did.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: sxw517

flower

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 31, 2023
    Hi, regarding A&O's TC application process, if I submit an application form, is there automatically a countdown as to when I can complete the VI or can I just do the interview (latest) before the app deadline?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.