TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
peep show GIF
Haha!

No but like seriously anyone have any idea when we will hear back from them? Seems like a wait until the New Year!

Also, seems like no one has heard back from them yet?

Edit: this is McDermott Will & Emery (to continue the joke ... more like McDermott - the firm taking my will and merry)

Shreya Verma

Valued Member
Sep 4, 2023
I would recommend focusing on deals at least partly covered by the office you are applying to. If you are using it as justification as to why you want to work at the firm, it can often fall a little flat if lawyers in the office you are applying to haven’t worked on the matter. There are some exceptions if it is framed slightly differently in the way it is written, but it will generally be more persuasive/convincing if you use something English lawyers have worked on.
Got it. Thank you

Shreya Verma

Valued Member
Sep 4, 2023
I agree with Jessica here, citing cases that the English offices have worked on is definitely more convincing. However, in my applications last year I did mention a lot of US deals too, especially when it came to big US law firms who have their most profitable offices in the US. However, when this is the case, the focus should not be on the location itself but on the quality of the deal, the clients they work with and why that type of work is of interest to you and how it relates to your background.
Thank you.

Reactions: axelbeugre

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
Went to apply for Fieldfisher and I see their deadline is 6 January 2024; however, it says applications are closed.

I presume they fill spaces on a rolling basis and no longer feel the need to keep the application window open and this isn't an error?

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Haha!

No but like seriously anyone have any idea when we will hear back from them? Seems like a wait until the New Year!

Also, seems like no one has heard back from them yet?

Edit: this is McDermott Will & Emery (to continue the joke ... more like McDermott - the firm taking my will and merry)
    McDermott, my will, and merry-go-round of despair, indeed. Life is just a never-ending series of unanswered emails and shattered dreams.

Szofi66

Star Member
    Oct 22, 2023
    Does anyone know who qualifies for the direct TC 2025 at Kennedys? As their SQE programme is approx 30 months long, people without a law degree that havent completed the PGDL yet do not qualify? As they couldnt possibly start the TC in 2025?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone know who qualifies for the direct TC 2025 at Kennedys? As their SQE programme is approx 30 months long, people without a law degree that havent completed the PGDL yet do not qualify? As they couldnt possibly start the TC in 2025?
    With the 30 month programme, you do your SQE during the training contract, so you would have between 2024 and 2025 to do the PGDL before starting.

Shi

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    For Stephenson Harwood's question'Read the article on sustainability in Yachting. A client has asked for an overview and the key points. In 600 words, please summarize the article.' should we write a normal passage or should we write our answer in an email style? (e.g start with things like 'Thank you for your interest in Stephenson Harwood and finish with 'please contact a member of our team if you have further questions')

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.