• Hey Guest, join Reed Smith’s Rik Palmer on Wednesday 7 October, 6–7pm (UK time) to learn how to succeed at each stage of the firm’s application process. Register for the event.

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2025-26

Hey!

I think this is one of those questions where they are mainly testing whether your reasoning is thoughtful and tailored, rather than whether you have a "perfect" reason for London specifically.

I would focus less on generic "London is exciting/fast-paced" points and more on what the London office means in the context of the firm itself. For example, you could mention that:
  • The London office gives exposure to a broader range of national clients and large-scale matters
  • Many of the firm's key sectors have strong links to London-based institutions
  • You are interested in being at the centre of client interaction and collaboration across offices
  • London aligns with your long-term career ambitions and where you see yourself building your professional network

I would also make sure to avoid sounding as though the regional offices are "lesser" options! Bevan Brittan is really strong outside of London, so it is better to frame it as why London suits you personally and professionally, rather than why the other offices do not.

I hope that assists! :)
thank you, Abbie!
 
  • Love
Reactions: Abbie Whitlock
Hey guys, I’d like some advice from the forum as I’m trying to decide whether to continue applying to TCs in the next cycle if this one doesn’t work out. Objectively speaking, I feel like I’ll be a lot older than my peers when the TC starts (either 30/31 depending on entry). I’ll also lose out on almost 2 years of work experience in my own country as I’m not from the UK. The process itself has been very disheartening so far, and while I’d really like to get a TC and have been working towards it, I’m not sure I can take another cycle of this. This was my 2nd cycle, and it hasn’t been very kind to me. I realise it’s a subjective decision, but I’d truly appreciate any advice on what I should do. Thank you.
 
  • ✅
Reactions: Abbie Whitlock
4 days left till I get the Ashurst PFO I can’t wait…

countdown GIF
 
Hey guys, I’d like some advice from the forum as I’m trying to decide whether to continue applying to TCs in the next cycle if this one doesn’t work out. Objectively speaking, I feel like I’ll be a lot older than my peers when the TC starts (either 30/31 depending on entry). I’ll also lose out on almost 2 years of work experience in my own country as I’m not from the UK. The process itself has been very disheartening so far, and while I’d really like to get a TC and have been working towards it, I’m not sure I can take another cycle of this. This was my 2nd cycle, and it hasn’t been very kind to me. I realise it’s a subjective decision, but I’d truly appreciate any advice on what I should do. Thank you.
If a TC is what you want then you have to keep going. It’s not unusual for it to take people multiple cycles before they land one. I’m about the same age as you, and the way I see it is that the time will pass anyway. I would rather be working towards something I want than give up because I think I might be “too old.” How old the rest of your cohort are is irrelevant at the end of the day. Plenty of people have changed careers in their 30s if not later. It’s completely understandable that you’ll feel burnt out, but the only way to secure the TC offer is to keep going. You’ll get there eventually!
 

Find member