TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikkiT

Legendary Member
Oct 2, 2020
Has anyone worked for a top firm as a paralegal? And if so, has this helped you with TC/VS applications?

I have heard that with some firms, it is hard to go from being a paralegal to a TC/not a thing? And also, would it hurt your chances with other firms to work at one firm as a paralegal but not get a TC?

Any insight would be so helpful!

@Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Has anyone worked for a top firm as a paralegal? And if so, has this helped you with TC/VS applications?

I have heard that with some firms, it is hard to go from being a paralegal to a TC/not a thing? And also, would it hurt your chances with other firms to work at one firm as a paralegal but not get a TC?

Any insight would be so helpful!

@Jessica Booker
In far more cases than not it will help your application. It might help less with VS applications, especially if you are not eligible for the programmes (where you have graduated) or if there can be concerns of conflict of interests checks (in many cases you maot be able to work for a competitor if you are employed by another).

In days of old there used to be an attitude in some firms that many who did paralegal work wouldn’t have the skills/attributes to go on to get a TC. There was a bit of an attitude of “why haven’t got a TC by now”. But I think that attitude has diminished a lot, especially given firms attitudes to diversity and also their want of finding people who are resilient enough to work in their demanding environment. Finding someone who has seen a similar inside workings of a firm can be a huge benefit, especially when you see the realities of the firm rather than a vacation scheme when often the true environment isn’t really shown.

There may still be some firms who are a bit sniffy about those who have done paralegal work. I would expect them to be in a small minority though these days.

It was a while back now so it may no longer be the case, but I am pretty sure Hogan Lovells (might have been HSF) had a policy of not allowing their own paralegals apply for TCs. Other firms might have internal policies about paralegals applying for TCs. At one firm I worked at, paralegals had to have at least six months experience (and a performance review) and an endorsement from a partner, otherwise they were just treated like an external applicant.

Reactions: Hele25 and Jaysen

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Hello! Was just wondering everyone's opinion on what areas of law are growing outside of cyber? And any that are shrinking? Thanks!

Family and Employment lawyers are absolutely cleaning it up right now. Sanctions law is also becoming a very hot topic as they have become the US, UK and EU's weapon of choice for punishing people, companies and governments that do things they don't like.

Reactions: RS134 and karinny

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    In far more cases than not it will help your application. It might help less with VS applications, especially if you are not eligible for the programmes (where you have graduated) or if there can be concerns of conflict of interests checks (in many cases you maot be able to work for a competitor if you are employed by another).

In days of old there used to be an attitude in some firms that many who did paralegal work wouldn’t have the skills/attributes to go on to get a TC. There was a bit of an attitude of “why haven’t got a TC by now”. But I think that attitude has diminished a lot, especially given firms attitudes to diversity and also their want of finding people who are resilient enough to work in their demanding environment. Finding someone who has seen a similar inside workings of a firm can be a huge benefit, especially when you see the realities of the firm rather than a vacation scheme when often the true environment isn’t really shown.

There may still be some firms who are a bit sniffy about those who have done paralegal work. I would expect them to be in a small minority though these days.

It was a while back now so it may no longer be the case, but I am pretty sure Hogan Lovells (might have been HSF) had a policy of not allowing their own paralegals apply for TCs. Other firms might have internal policies about paralegals applying for TCs. At one firm I worked at, paralegals had to have at least six months experience (and a performance review) and an endorsement from a partner, otherwise they were just treated like an external applicant.
    Its not hogan lovells. I met several senior associates during my vacation scheme who were originally paralegals at the firm. Hsf allows their paralegals to apply for TCs as well.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Its not hogan lovells. I met several senior associates during my vacation scheme who were originally paralegals at the firm. Hsf allows their paralegals to apply for TCs as well.
    As I said, it was some time ago that the policy was in place. It wouldn’t surprise me if it was no longer there, as it was a bit of an odd policy in the first place.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hello! Was just wondering everyone's opinion on what areas of law are growing outside of cyber? And any that are shrinking? Thanks!

Expanding - environmental law, competition law, and tax law (latter two mostly because of Big Tech - linked you to the discussions me and Jacob have had on it in the past!)

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Alison C

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I’d think about sectors rather than just practice areas too. Some sectors have been hit by the pandemic much worse than others.

Penelope

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 2
  • Aug 14, 2019
    Has anyone heard anything from Edwin Coe since the open day invitation at the beginning of April? I haven't yet received further details about the interview

Reactions: C

Standard Member
    Jan 22, 2021
    Anyone who has studied consumer and commercial law, what case law is there for distance-selling and e-commerce? Atm the only case I have is Neocleous v Rees but I'm really struggling to find other cases. If anyone has any knowledge on this, it would be very much appreciated!! 😁

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Not law firm related but I just received an offer for a policy adviser role at the civil service. Does anyone know *roughly* how long pre-employment checks take? I know I have to do counter terrorist checks but it would be nice to know when I can hand in my notice!
    Know this from experience recruiting for this role. Anywhere between 3 weeks to 3 months depending on your personal details. The more checks they have to make for you, the longer it can take.

Reactions: thirdtimelucky

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Know this from experience recruiting for this role. Anywhere between 3 weeks to 3 months depending on your personal details. The more checks they have to make for you, the longer it can take.
    Thank you Jessica, I already work at the CS so I do know it takes a while but I'm still hoping its the shorter of the two! I know the team manager said she would try and speed up the process so fingers crossed!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you Jessica, I already work at the CS so I do know it takes a while but I'm still hoping its the shorter of the two! I know the team manager said she would try and speed up the process so fingers crossed!
    I doubt your team manager will be able to do much to be honest. It’s usually down to how quick the information can be provided by those you need to request it from. However, if you have already been on boarded by the CS in some capacity, I would expect it to be much quicker.

A

Anon 11031

Not law firm related but I just received an offer for a policy adviser role at the civil service. Does anyone know *roughly* how long pre-employment checks take? I know I have to do counter terrorist checks but it would be nice to know when I can hand in my notice!
    Mine took quite a while as I didn't have any of the specific bills they requested on the list. Maybe between 1-2 months.

qwertay

Oct 30, 2020
    Hi everyone. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get started preparing commercial awareness for final tc interviews. I have no idea where to start or how to gather information or on what topics. Do you look at what is relevant to the firm? Does it matter if it's a topic which is talked about a lot? Just any help with regards to how to prepare or where to look because at the moment I'm just listening to podcasts with business news but don't feel like I have in depth knowledge of a particular theme. Thank you!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.