TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamTam99

Legendary Member
Jan 5, 2021
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any guidance on which provider (BPP/ULaw) is best for the conversion course. Any positives or negatives for both would be great. Thank you!
I’m at Ulaw doing the MA Law and only have positive things to say, they’ve been great! Everything has been organised, efficient, well taught and I really feel like I’ve gotten good value for money. On the other hand, two of my friends are at BPP doing the PGDL and have literally been complaining about how disorganised it has been the whole year. I do have to caveat that and say that I obviously can’t speak about BPP from first hand experience!

Feel free to message me for any more info/if you have any questions about the conversion at Ulaw though ☺️☺️

Reactions: LawGrad2019

Legal1234

Standard Member
Apr 6, 2021
I’m at Ulaw doing the MA Law and only have positive things to say, they’ve been great! Everything has been organised, efficient, well taught and I really feel like I’ve gotten good value for money. On the other hand, two of my friends are at BPP doing the PGDL and have literally been complaining about how disorganised it has been the whole year. I do have to caveat that and say that I obviously can’t speak about BPP from first hand experience!

Feel free to message me for any more info/if you have any questions about the conversion at Ulaw though ☺️☺️
Thank you!

Hele25

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 5, 2021
Genuinely don’t know what to do about Bevan Brittan. Realise I’m a broken record. Do you think I should just accept I’ve been ghosted? Or is it now appropriate to ring after two unanswered emails? Thaanks
surprised sherlock GIF

RoughWood

Legendary Member
Trainee
Feb 24, 2021
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any guidance on which provider (BPP/ULaw) is best for the conversion course. Any positives or negatives for both would be great. Thank you!
I am currently studying the GDL online with ULaw and it has had lots of issues with my cohort. Understandably there would be teething problems with adapting to Covid, but this course has always been online so don't quite know what has been going wrong at their end.

We have had issues with the exams which is understandable being moved to purely online, whereas previously we would have had to attend a campus to sit these. Results are not issued on the dates set and some have received results whereas others have had to chase for a few weeks to receive theirs.

The responsiveness of tutors on emails has been very slow also, sometimes weeks or no response at all even after chasing.

For the online course there are no recorded lectures, only the textbooks and online activities so be mindful if you learn better from being more taught rather than self-studying. There have also been typos and mistakes such as incorrect referencing in the textbooks which is concerning.

However, the careers and employability team are fantastic! So responsive with great input and proof-reading applications, CV support etc. I really cannot praise them enough for their responsiveness and quality of input. They also put on some really great events and talks. The library team are excellent as well.

I have heard nothing but praise from the on-campus students though so these issues seem to stem purely from the online course. If you are planning on attending a campus, then ULaw is a great offering but online seems to lack a lot of the support that campus students have access to.

Of course this is just my experience and the experience of my cohort from our Whatsapp group!

I hope that helps

finalyear

Standard Member
May 28, 2021
Hi! Could I please ask for some advice on a tricky situation?

I have a training contract offer following an easter scheme at firm A. I have another offer for a summer scheme at firm B which I much prefer. The current TC offer has a non-flexible deadline. The people at firm A know I have a summer scheme offer, and possibly also know the name of firm B (I didn't post anything on LinkedIn but told the name to a partner at firm A after being asked)

I am so grateful to have just one TC offer already, but I really want to give it a shot at firm B. So my questions are:

1. Is it possible for me to sign the TC and later renege? I talked to my university's career consultant and he advised me against it because it may be bad for my professional reputation, especially since graduate recruitment teams and lawyers may talk.
2. Is it possible for firm B to find out about me reneging on firm A and decide to withdraw my TC offer at a later stage?

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi! Could I please ask for some advice on a tricky situation?

I have a training contract offer following an easter scheme at firm A. I have another offer for a summer scheme at firm B which I much prefer. The current TC offer has a non-flexible deadline. The people at firm A know I have a summer scheme offer, and possibly also know the name of firm B (I didn't post anything on LinkedIn but told the name to a partner at firm A after being asked)

I am so grateful to have just one TC offer already, but I really want to give it a shot at firm B. So my questions are:

1. Is it possible for me to sign the TC and later renege? I talked to my university's career consultant and he advised me against it because it may be bad for my professional reputation, especially since graduate recruitment teams and lawyers may talk.
2. Is it possible for firm B to find out about me reneging on firm A and decide to withdraw my TC offer at a later stage?

Thank you!

1) Yes - your careers advisor clearly doesn't know much abut GDPR - they can't talk about you (and to be really frank, they haven't got the time nor inclination to do so). This will sound brutal, but you are not an essential hire - they will easily find a replacement, and therefore the firm will just move on and not think more about it in the context at other firms. At worst, you decide to apply to the firm you renege on in the future and someone remembers you, then they could be slightly miffed. But the reality of someone remembering you even 3-4 years down the line and automatically deciding they won't consider your application purely because you declined them for a training contract is ridiculously minor.

2) They would only really fnd out if you told them. They are highly unlikely to withdraw your offer on this basis, even if they did find out, especially if you told them you were pressurised to accept the offer after asking for an extended deadline.

finalyear

Standard Member
May 28, 2021
1) Yes - your careers advisor clearly doesn't know much abut GDPR - they can't talk about you (and to be really frank, they haven't got the time nor inclination to do so). This will sound brutal, but you are not an essential hire - they will easily find a replacement, and therefore the firm will just move on and not think more about it in the context at other firms. At worst, you decide to apply to the firm you renege on in the future and someone remembers you, then they could be slightly miffed. But the reality of someone remembering you even 3-4 years down the line and automatically deciding they won't consider your application purely because you declined them for a training contract is ridiculously minor.

2) They would only really fnd out if you told them. They are highly unlikely to withdraw your offer on this basis, even if they did find out, especially if you told them you were pressurised to accept the offer after asking for an extended deadline.
Thank you so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.