TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

katie.c

Oct 7, 2020
Someone I know has trained to administer the vaccines. Interestingly they said Moderna seems to be the least likely to give you symptoms but that more people have immediate reactions to it - they had loads of people feeling faint/hot/not right within the 15-20 minute “wait” time compared to AZ/Pfizer
Thanks for the responses! I might email just to see if I can pass on the second day of interviews as I believe there are two. I got Moderna and I could definetely fell the first jab so hopefully the second one will not be too bad! ;)
Hi! Obviously different bodies will react differently but I was super ill from my first one too but had no effect for the second. How long did your side effects last after the first one? Mine went away within 2 days so you could be fine if it is 3 days before?

Good luck for the interview!!
Hi & thank you! Side effects lasted around 2-3 days, mine were slightly longer as I have had covid before but hopefully I will be ok. I just wanted to make sure that I could express my concerns to graduate recruitment without sounding too precious (for want of a better word)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks for the responses! I might email just to see if I can pass on the second day of interviews as I believe there are two. I got Moderna and I could definetely fell the first jab so hopefully the second one will not be too bad! ;)

Hi & thank you! Side effects lasted around 2-3 days, mine were slightly longer as I have had covid before but hopefully I will be ok. I just wanted to make sure that I could express my concerns to graduate recruitment without sounding too precious (for want of a better word)
You won’t sound precious. There will be people in their firm and in their networks who will have had reactions - they will understand.

Last edited:
Reactions: katie.c
A

Anon 11031

If it makes you feel any better, the risk profile for AZ is supposedly still significantly lower than most birth control pills which people take without a second thought. Not great that they gave you a riskier vaccine though :/
Yeah, the doctor before I got it today told me that the birth control pill is 50 times more likely to give you a blood clot than AZ. That figure used to be 100x, but the prevalence of blood clots after AZ has now increased. The likelihood for someone under 30 is around 1 in 60,000 but after 30 I think it is much less prevalent!

And yeah, it sucks massively. But apparently AZ isn't going to be used as a booster so all the people that had it will get Moderna or Pfizer in future. It's just been a bit of a nightmare really!

• Wow
Reactions: whisperingrock

Penelope

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 2
  • Aug 14, 2019
    If it makes you feel any better, the risk profile for AZ is supposedly still significantly lower than most birth control pills which people take without a second thought. Not great that they gave you a riskier vaccine though :/
    Yeah, the doctor before I got it today told me that the birth control pill is 50 times more likely to give you a blood clot than AZ. That figure used to be 100x, but the prevalence of blood clots after AZ has now increased. The likelihood for someone under 30 is around 1 in 60,000 but after 30 I think it is much less prevalent!

And yeah, it sucks massively. But apparently AZ isn't going to be used as a booster so all the people that had it will get Moderna or Pfizer in future. It's just been a bit of a nightmare really!
    I had blood clots when I was 20, partly due to a birth control pill! I now have to take blood thinners, so I was eligible to receive the vaccine early as an at-risk person (due to the blood clot risks with COVID).

I had my first AZ in March and having my second of it next week! Quite worrying really and I totally understand your concerns.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I had blood clots when I was 20, partly due to a birth control pill! I now have to take blood thinners, so I was eligible to receive the vaccine early as an at-risk person (due to the blood clot risks with COVID).

I had my first AZ in March and having my second of it next week! Quite worrying really and I totally understand your concerns.
    You might want to speak to your GP. I was purposely told I couldn’t have AZ for exactly the same reasons (I have a rare blood clotting condition and a history of blood clots).

Reactions: Anon 11031
    A

Anon 11031

Yeah, I agree with @Jessica Booker. When I went for AZ today, there was a lot more information provided on blood clotting conditions - as a result of everything that has gone on. I think they're unwilling and actively advising against people receiving AZ that are in that category now.

There's an ongoing study at the moment that is looking at whether you can mix vaccines, i.e. AZ is your first and Moderna is your second, and the results from that are expected to be published soon. After this I believe the NHS is looking at offering an alternative for those who are younger or high risk that have already had AZ. Ask your GP, but in your category they might advise you waiting it out!

Penelope

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 2
  • Aug 14, 2019
    You might want to speak to your GP. I was purposely told I couldn’t have AZ for exactly the same reasons (I have a rare blood clotting condition and a history of blood clots).
    Yeah, I agree with @Jessica Booker. When I went for AZ today, there was a lot more information provided on blood clotting conditions - as a result of everything that has gone on. I think they're unwilling and actively advising against people receiving AZ that are in that category now.

There's an ongoing study at the moment that is looking at whether you can mix vaccines, i.e. AZ is your first and Moderna is your second, and the results from that are expected to be published soon. After this I believe the NHS is looking at offering an alternative for those who are younger or high risk that have already had AZ. Ask your GP, but in your category they might advise you waiting it out!
    Thanks both! I have spoken with my haematologist about it

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks both! I have spoken with my haematologist about it
    If you are on blood thinners, ultimately the risk is negated anyway (what my GP told me).

Strangely since my second one (Pfizer) I have had an opposite side effect and keep experiencing nose bleeds despite my blood thinners not changing. Could all just be coincidence though.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Just submitted my final piece of work for uni. I have a vac scheme next week so I'm looking forward to just doing nothing for a few days and mentally resetting!
    Enjoy your 'break'! You've definitely earned it - hope you're able to make the most of the sunshine and your freedom :)

PS: best of luck for the scheme!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Just submitted my final piece of work for uni. I have a vac scheme next week so I'm looking forward to just doing nothing for a few days and mentally resetting!
    This is a great feeling! I submitted my final assessment last week and I'm beginning to settle into my new house in London, pretty much blocked out June to chill out before I start work in July!
    It's about the first time in 4/5 years where I've taken more than like 2 days at a time to actually relax 😂

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    This is a great feeling! I submitted my final assessment last week and I'm beginning to settle into my new house in London, pretty much blocked out June to chill out before I start work in July!
    It's about the first time in 4/5 years where I've taken more than like 2 days at a time to actually relax 😂
    Enjoy it - you definitely deserve it!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Jacob Miller

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I can so relate as for the past 2 weeks I have been relaxing after 4 years of no break including no summer break so I know how you feel.

Reactions: Jacob Miller

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I recently attended a commercial awareness session with Watson Daily where they discussed SPAC's would that be okay to discuss in an application if talking about SPAC's I mean talking about my personal experience would that good for discussing my personal experiences with SPAC's and how that got me interested into SPAC's.

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    I recently attended a commercial awareness session with Watson Daily where they discussed SPAC's would that be okay to discuss in an application if talking about SPAC's I mean talking about my personal experience would that good for discussing my personal experiences with SPAC's and how that got me interested into SPAC's.
    Unless you've invested a huge ton of money into a cash shell, I'm not really sure it's a personal experience. Peter's aim is to save us time and give us an overview of current affairs as well.

Unless the firm you're applying to actively works in capital markets and the legal work behind investment vehicles, you may want to discuss a trend, firm transaction or news story (such as Lord Hill's report or the NSI Act). But again, I'd be cautious of saying you're interested in something just to impress

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Yeah I agree with @FM302989 - I don't think there's a personal element to this.

If you're considering something from the perspective of a personal experience, it's really important to discuss something you've been materially involved in or affected by - attending a WD session as the 'origin story' for this may appear contrived.

There's definitely nothing to stop you discussing SPACs in other settings or different areas of the application, though!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.