TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Most people would need a break at some time even if they are exceptionally busy. Even just getting away for your desk for 10-15 minutes to grab a coffee or some food. And I don’t mean just for lunch. I’d personally suggest planning at least 3 of these purposeful breaks each day.

Doing that at lunchtime is often the most practical way - especially as loads of other people tend to be at lunch and you don’t tend to get bothered by things as much as when everyone is firing emails at you/walking past your desk.

The benefits of a small break will do wonders and make you much more productive/effective. For anyone going into a firm, I highly recommend planning regular breaks from your desk, even if it’s 5-10 minutes to go get a coffee, fill up a water bottle at the far end of the office or just stretch your legs/get some fresh air.

It’s even worse in a virtual environment. In an office you typically have these breaks walking from meeting room to meeting room, but you don’t really get that in the same way virtually.

One key tip is to not schedule things for a full hour/half hour. If you have a meeting that you would normally put in for an hour, put it in for 50 minutes instead and use the 10 minute gap as your break.
    I'm a fan of small breaks through the day rather than bigger breaks at lunch etc to be fair. I'll often go make myself a coffee etc quite regularly, working from home that's really nice as the process/ ritualistic nature of putting making the coffee can be quite calming when I'm busy!

I find myself getting stressed on longer breaks to be honest, "why am I relaxing when I have XYZ hanging over me?!" sort of thing. That will maybe change as I'm in the workplace though (for others, I'm also a perfect example of everything to avoid in this regard!)

Last edited:
    Reactions: S87 and Jaysen

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi guys,

I hope you are well.

random request..does anyone work for the Civil Service and is willing to help me with my application?It would really help me! Thank you

liverpoollawyer

Esteemed Member
    Feb 10, 2021
    Hi everyone!

I start my two week vacation scheme on Monday and have just received my timetable and am super nervous. Does anyone have any advice as to what I should be doing to prepare? Should I email my supervisor and buddy or just wait to meet them on Monday? Between this and preparing for my exams which I’m sitting in the middle of the scheme I’m ready for a meltdown!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone!

I start my two week vacation scheme on Monday and have just received my timetable and am super nervous. Does anyone have any advice as to what I should be doing to prepare? Should I email my supervisor and buddy or just wait to meet them on Monday? Between this and preparing for my exams which I’m sitting in the middle of the scheme I’m ready for a meltdown!
    We are running a session on this at 6.00pm today if you want to register.

I would just wait until Monday to speaking to your supervisor/Buddy. You have only been given their details today which pretty much means you aren’t being encouraged to contact them beforehand. You will be speaking to them within a matter of working hours now anyway.

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Has anyone had an interview for a paralegal? I have one soon and I need some guidance. For starters, I find it hard to see what a paralegal actually does because it varies so much :(

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    Does anyone know if you have to have completed a vac scheme already to apply to A&Os direct TC?
    Hi,

I don't think so- one of my friends did a first year scheme with them and got the direct TC, but they had no VS. Granted, it was their own first year scheme, but goes to show you don't need a VS to get a TC with them.

Do you know if they plan to open Direct TC's in Summer? They did so last year.

Reactions: Deleted member 8227
    D

Deleted member 8227

Hi,

I don't think so- one of my friends did a first year scheme with them and got the direct TC, but they had no VS. Granted, it was their own first year scheme, but goes to show you don't need a VS to get a TC with them.

Do you know if they plan to open Direct TC's in Summer? They did so last year.
    Hi, thanks that's useful! i'm not sure if they're planning to open it this summer, I was planning to apply in the next cycle.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.