TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hey guys, have a VS coming up soon.

Any advice on how I can maximise the relationship with my supervisors(not sure if they are trainee/associate supervisors, firm hasn't informed us yet).

Also, in terms of tasks, how can I ask my supervisor for guidance? The firm hasn't informed us how we will be assessed(if at all), but seeing how its a VS situated in InsideSherpa/Forage , I assume the tasks will be centralised, so would it be possible for my supervisor to help?

Thanks! :)
    In terms of building relationships, just be authentic and personable. Don't try and show off of whatever, listen carefully and take on board anything they give you in terms of help and advice.

Ask GradRec if it's possible to ask for input from supervisors with assessments but it almost certainly won't be as they'll treat any assessments more like exams than normal work, so to speak.

Best of luck!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    One of my favourite things about moving to London is the absolutely incredible array of food you can get, and also the different range of styles of food places from street stalls up to the most incredible seated restaurants.

I've recently discovered Vietnamese food, I'm currently celebrating getting by degree classification with a banh mi from a wonderful takeaway place a few miles from my house.

What's everyine else's favourite meals and cuisines more generally? Do you enjoy eating out or cooking? I love both!

20210617_153121.jpg

Picture is of my pork and beef banh mi 😍😍

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Also for any of you guys with super duper social skills, I've been given a chance to go into the office in person for one day of my virtual VS as the team I'm sitting with has decided to do a trial run of heading back in. Do you have any tips for *shudder* real life networking? It'll only be the one day and is a normal working day, but I've been told lots of team members other than my trainee buddy and supervisor are going to be there.

LawGrad2019

Distinguished Member
    Feb 19, 2021
    Also for any of you guys with super duper social skills, I've been given a chance to go into the office in person for one day of my virtual VS as the team I'm sitting with has decided to do a trial run of heading back in. Do you have any tips for *shudder* real life networking? It'll only be the one day and is a normal working day, but I've been told lots of team members other than my trainee buddy and supervisor are going to be there.

Not sure I have 'super duper' social skills* - but hopefully have some good advice!

Try to picture someone in your head, at your level, who impresses you when you interact with them in person. Is it a firm handshake? Good eye contact? Smiles lots, etc?

I think the key is to try to avoid any nervous fidgeting you might be tempted to do and "fake it 'till you make it" in terms of appearing confident and engaged. It's just one day but you can really make a great impression by being friendly, saying hello to everyone in the team, learning names, and trying to appear confident in your own skin. Being in person offers a big advantage because you can read the room in terms of knowing when/if to disturb people and ask questions.

*You must have great social skills to secure the vacation scheme, so remind yourself of that fact!

As soon as you leave the office, you can breathe a sigh of relief! :)

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Matt_96

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Not sure I have 'super duper' social skills* - but hopefully have some good advice!

Try to picture someone in your head, at your level, who impresses you when you interact with them in person. Is it a firm handshake? Good eye contact? Smiles lots, etc?

I think the key is to try to avoid any nervous fidgeting you might be tempted to do and "fake it 'till you make it" in terms of appearing confident and engaged. It's just one day but you can really make a great impression by being friendly, saying hello to everyone in the team, learning names, and trying to appear confident in your own skin. Being in person offers a big advantage because you can read the room in terms of knowing when/if to disturb people and ask questions.

*You must have great social skills to secure the vacation scheme, so remind yourself of that fact!

As soon as you leave the office, you can breathe a sigh of relief! :)

It's just hard to know, because despite being a relatively confident person in real life, so far all my success with law firms has been virtual, well-practised and restrained. I think I'm more worried that I might be too much!

LawGrad2019

Distinguished Member
    Feb 19, 2021
    It's just hard to know, because despite being a relatively confident person in real life, so far all my success with law firms has been virtual, well-practised and restrained. I think I'm more worried that I might be too much!

I completely get what you mean - and I'm the same actually (especially with great lightening 😆), but you can still notice many annoying habits over video call and get a good feel for a person's personality, so don't worry :)

'Too much' is an interesting worry - in a way, you want to be your natural self and see if the firm is a genuine fit. I have friends with SUCH varying personalities and all of them have gone to different firms based on that. There is a lid for every pot!

• Haha
    Reactions: Matt_96

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    In addition to what @LawGrad2019 said above, bare in mind that the trainees, associates and partners you will be meeting with will be in a similar position to you, in terms of being out of practice for the social and practical aspects of working in the office. So I really wouldn't worry about it!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    In terms of building relationships, just be authentic and personable. Don't try and show off of whatever, listen carefully and take on board anything they give you in terms of help and advice.

Ask GradRec if it's possible to ask for input from supervisors with assessments but it almost certainly won't be as they'll treat any assessments more like exams than normal work, so to speak.

Best of luck!
    Thank you- I didn't realise that point about GR but will defo take that into account ! :)

lawstudent12345

Distinguished Member
    Feb 16, 2021
    Quick question - should I address my supervisor (an associate) by saying "Dear [first name]" or should I say "Dear Mr. [last name]"

obviously I want to be respectful but also I don't want things to be overly formal/awkward?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Quick question - should I address my supervisor (an associate) by saying "Dear [first name]" or should I say "Dear Mr. [last name]"

obviously I want to be respectful but also I don't want things to be overly formal/awkward?
    Just first name - they are a colleague not a client (and even with clients, depending on how well you know them it will often be first name only).

djqb

Legendary Member
    Sep 6, 2020
    Whatever you do, do not read the comments sections of the recent Legal Cheek articles on pay raises amongst US law firms.

They are filled with goons and muttonheads who possess the highest degree of stupidity within so called "legal" circles.

Need to cleanse my soul after that.

Last edited:
    • Sad
    Reactions: dosblancos7

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Whatever you do, do not read the comments sections of the recent Legal Cheek articles on pay raises amongst US law firms.

They are filled with goons and muttonheads who possess the highest degree of stupidity within so called "legal" circles.

The problem is I need to go read it now 👀😂

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020

It's just a bunch of people who don't realise just how much work getting that paycheck actually involves. I have friends at the likes of Milbank, and when even paralegals are working weekends, you know the work-life balance is nonexistent. Some people think the trade-off is worth the money, but I never applied to US firms for exactly this reason. Fuck earning money you don't have the time to spend.

Also, Legal Cheek could stand to actually post useful content and news instead of the 5th bait article in a week about this. I get more useful information about law firms from Slaughter and Dismayed on Instagram.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020

The comments section on Legal Cheek is a no-go, period. I'm honestly not sure why they actually bother having it, it really doesn't reflect well on the website.

BoulderCO

Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 21, 2021
    It's just a bunch of people who don't realise just how much work getting that paycheck actually involves. I have friends at the likes of Milbank, and when even paralegals are working weekends, you know the work-life balance is nonexistent. Some people think the trade-off is worth the money, but I never applied to US firms for exactly this reason. Fuck earning money you don't have the time to spend.

Also, Legal Cheek could stand to actually post useful content and news instead of the 5th bait article in a week about this. I get more useful information about law firms from Slaughter and Dismayed on Instagram.

I think their firm lists and events can be pretty decent. But IMO their reporting can also veer from genuinely insightful to tabloid-y. Not an expert but sometimes it seems best to just pick a lane and stick to it 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: Idlewild and djqb

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    The comments section on Legal Cheek is a no-go, period. I'm honestly not sure why they actually bother having it, it really doesn't reflect well on the website.
    It is off the same mould as Roll on Friday. Legal Cheek cleverly saw that RoF were never going to change their reporting model of sticking to only reporting on a Friday and saw a massive opportunity to be far more modern.

Ultimately both websites were designed in a way that was about trying to make the mundane world of law tantalising and encourage the type of remarks in posts and forums. They both make a lot of money out of that model - it doesn’t matter how the comments reflect on the website when they are making money from it and law firms are willing to throw £££££ at the websites because the traffic/audience is there.

And so they have become the channels for lawyers to vent their toxicity into via anonymous comments/posts, which in turn fuels that profitability. It’s probably a form of therapy for some lawyers - they can’t say these things in the real world (or at least without some repercussions) and so they post it anonymously to vent or to help massage their own egos. They post it there as it is the one place someone might agree with them - anywhere else and no one would care what lawyers are up to or what they think of other law firms. They’ll revisit the posts just to check how many up-likes they have to try and reassure themselves it’s ok to not be the very nice person they know they are (seen the stats to prove it!)

Fortunately we see that so rarely on TCLA. I love the fact this community is the antidote to that attitude.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If you didn’t know this already, you can set a bespoke URL for your LinkedIn profile.

I highly recommend it as 1) it can improve how easy it is to search for you and 2) it will look tidier if you ever include it on a CV or application form.

Just go to the right hand column of your LinkedIn profile and there is a “edit public profile & URL” option.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.