TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zlaw

Jan 30, 2021
Hey everyone!
Does anybody have experience of the AC at Kingsley Napley? The website says there is to be a speed networking exercise, case study exercise and then presentation/debate on a current topic. This is a firm that I would love to train at but it's my first AC and really not sure what to expect (especially with it being virtual). Any help would be massively appreciated!

• 🏆
Reactions: Matt_96

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hey everyone!
    Does anybody have experience of the AC at Kingsley Napley? The website says there is to be a speed networking exercise, case study exercise and then presentation/debate on a current topic. This is a firm that I would love to train at but it's my first AC and really not sure what to expect (especially with it being virtual). Any help would be massively appreciated!
    In terms of case studies, if you aren't already familiar with it, I would recommend reading through my Definitive Guide to Case Studies, available via the link in my signature below this comment 🙂

• 🤝
    Reactions: Holly

AspiringLaw2021

Jun 14, 2021
    Is anyone else on a vac scheme getting pretty bad anxiety? I posted on here the other day and got some really helpful replies but I can't shake this feeling that I'm constantly doing stuff that reflects badly. I think it's just the pressure of getting a TC at the end of all of this - I just want to enjoy the experience but hate the feeling that I'm constantly (even if not true) being judged.

E.g. I sent an email to my team on Friday asking for work. I said that I would be away from my desk at a vac scheme social from 5pm but otherwise available - I now wish I didn't say that last bit as it seems like I was prioritising the social over work (my intention was just to share my availability so it was clear for everyone and I assumed the social was pretty much a compulsory event as it was timetabled).

Sorry a bit of a rant here but I'm struggling a bit with my own managing expectations and enjoying the experience!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Andrew M and Sonia_Kawaii

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Is anyone else on a vac scheme getting pretty bad anxiety? I posted on here the other day and got some really helpful replies but I can't shake this feeling that I'm constantly doing stuff that reflects badly. I think it's just the pressure of getting a TC at the end of all of this - I just want to enjoy the experience but hate the feeling that I'm constantly (even if not true) being judged.

E.g. I sent an email to my team on Friday asking for work. I said that I would be away from my desk at a vac scheme social from 5pm but otherwise available - I now wish I didn't say that last bit as it seems like I was prioritising the social over work (my intention was just to share my availability so it was clear for everyone and I assumed the social was pretty much a compulsory event as it was timetabled).

Sorry a bit of a rant here but I'm struggling a bit with my own managing expectations and enjoying the experience!
    It was 5pm on a Friday - no one thought you were prioritising social over work, especially when it was a vac scheme organised social.

I am not very good at things like this, but you need to try and stop second guessing yourself. You are making yourself think there are problems that are just not there.

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019

Hey, I’m sorry to hear you have been struggling. In my opinion, you have done the right thing by expressing your availability. Socials are organised for vac schemers to attend, so you shouldn’t feel guilty for attending them, especially if you are a bit low with the workload! I actually did a similar thing when organising virtual coffee - I mentioned I was attending a social at X time, so I can call at Y. It turned out the associate was also attending the same social! So I definitely don’t think it looks like you are prioritising the social, but rather you are staying organised and managing your time well.

Has your vac scheme ended or do you have another week? If you have another week, I would recommend refocusing your energy on learning as much as you can, rather than the end goal of getting a TC. Try and take the vac scheme each day at a time too, rather than thinking about the end result. I know it’s easier said than done though

Remember: you secured a vacation scheme which means the firm know you are good enough. Your work can’t be perfect, so they won’t be expecting that. What firms care about is a genuine desire from candidates to learn as well as enthusiasm too.

Wishing you the best of luck with it all :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018

Unfortunately because these worries and feelings are so internalised it’s incredibly hard for external words and reassurances sometimes to make the crucial difference. Similar to your post before, what I can say is that really isn’t an issue at all- you actually communicated very openly and directly and you were better for telling them about the social as it’s all about managing expectations.

I am mindful and cautious that I’m not personally trained on these concerns regarding anxiety and mental health and can only speak to my own experience. I wonder if perhaps, if this is something you experience frequently beyond the vac scheme, it might be worth perhaps looking for a longer term solution. This could be something like downloading an app like Headspace or Calm to help manage this or maybe speaking to those close to you about the options which might be sustainable and best for you.

I am really sorry you are feeling this way and I sincerely hope it gets better. I wish I could say something which would make you feel better and stop the worrying but I know that external words can only help so far. I hope the reassurance here that you did the right thing gives you some comfort but I really do think it might be worth considering a sustainable strategy or way to manage this underlying worry.

AspiringLaw2021

Jun 14, 2021
    It was 5pm on a Friday - no one thought you were prioritising social over work, especially when it was a vac scheme organised social.

I am not very good at things like this, but you need to try and stop second guessing yourself. You are making yourself think there are problems that are just not there.

Hey, I’m sorry to hear you have been struggling. In my opinion, you have done the right thing by expressing your availability. Socials are organised for vac schemers to attend, so you shouldn’t feel guilty for attending them, especially if you are a bit low with the workload! I actually did a similar thing when organising virtual coffee - I mentioned I was attending a social at X time, so I can call at Y. It turned out the associate was also attending the same social! So I definitely don’t think it looks like you are prioritising the social, but rather you are staying organised and managing your time well.

Has your vac scheme ended or do you have another week? If you have another week, I would recommend refocusing your energy on learning as much as you can, rather than the end goal of getting a TC. Try and take the vac scheme each day at a time too, rather than thinking about the end result. I know it’s easier said than done though

Remember: you secured a vacation scheme which means the firm know you are good enough. Your work can’t be perfect, so they won’t be expecting that. What firms care about is a genuine desire from candidates to learn as well as enthusiasm too.

Wishing you the best of luck with it all :)

Unfortunately because these worries and feelings are so internalised it’s incredibly hard for external words and reassurances sometimes to make the crucial difference. Similar to your post before, what I can say is that really isn’t an issue at all- you actually communicated very openly and directly and you were better for telling them about the social as it’s all about managing expectations.

I am mindful and cautious that I’m not personally trained on these concerns regarding anxiety and mental health and can only speak to my own experience. I wonder if perhaps, if this is something you experience frequently beyond the vac scheme, it might be worth perhaps looking for a longer term solution. This could be something like downloading an app like Headspace or Calm to help manage this or maybe speaking to those close to you about the options which might be sustainable and best for you.

I am really sorry you are feeling this way and I sincerely hope it gets better. I wish I could say something which would make you feel better and stop the worrying but I know that external words can only help so far. I hope the reassurance here that you did the right thing gives you some comfort but I really do think it might be worth considering a sustainable strategy or way to manage this underlying worry.
    Thank you all so much for your replies and advice. I used to struggle much more frequently with anxiety and overthinking, I've used some of the techniques mentioned to great effect and had it under control! I think the stress and expectations I've built up in my head about what I want from the vac scheme have made these unfortunately resurface. The external words on here are actually really helpful and put things back into perspective for me so I'm grateful for them.

I'll definitely build some time for Headspace into my day and focus on enjoying each day rather than worrying about the outcome :)

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    It is off the same mould as Roll on Friday. Legal Cheek cleverly saw that RoF were never going to change their reporting model of sticking to only reporting on a Friday and saw a massive opportunity to be far more modern.

Ultimately both websites were designed in a way that was about trying to make the mundane world of law tantalising and encourage the type of remarks in posts and forums. They both make a lot of money out of that model - it doesn’t matter how the comments reflect on the website when they are making money from it and law firms are willing to throw £££££ at the websites because the traffic/audience is there.

And so they have become the channels for lawyers to vent their toxicity into via anonymous comments/posts, which in turn fuels that profitability. It’s probably a form of therapy for some lawyers - they can’t say these things in the real world (or at least without some repercussions) and so they post it anonymously to vent or to help massage their own egos. They post it there as it is the one place someone might agree with them - anywhere else and no one would care what lawyers are up to or what they think of other law firms. They’ll revisit the posts just to check how many up-likes they have to try and reassure themselves it’s ok to not be the very nice person they know they are (seen the stats to prove it!)

Fortunately we see that so rarely on TCLA. I love the fact this community is the antidote to that attitude.
    Preach!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Penelope

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 2
  • Aug 14, 2019
    Does anyone have a particular website/resource for learning about business growth strategies and the advantages/disadvantages of them? I'd be grateful for any pointers

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    Thank you all so much for your replies and advice. I used to struggle much more frequently with anxiety and overthinking, I've used some of the techniques mentioned to great effect and had it under control! I think the stress and expectations I've built up in my head about what I want from the vac scheme have made these unfortunately resurface. The external words on here are actually really helpful and put things back into perspective for me so I'm grateful for them.

I'll definitely build some time for Headspace into my day and focus on enjoying each day rather than worrying about the outcome :)
    Hey I have really really bad anxiety and I am the most paranoid person you will ever meet lol I was not like this before but for many reasons I am now 😔 It really affects my performance and I end up beating myself up even more for it.

Someone suggested that I ask my doctor for beta blockers like propranolol. If you have really bad anxiety then try and speak to your doctor about it 🙂 My friend was a musician and it really helped him perform on stage.

However, I would suggest this only if it’s really bad. From what you’ve written I personally think you’ve taken all the right steps. Good luck with your VS 😊

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Just popping a link to @Jessica Booker’s great post here

I really recommend giving it a read if you’re struggling with nerves around vacation schemes and how you’re being perceived

Glayson Tavares-Costa

M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 8, 2021
    I am about to submit my final application for this cycle and stumbled over the following questions: Do you require a work permit to work in the UK?* and Do you currently hold a valid work permit?

I am an EU citizen with a pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme and have been working and living in London for the past 2 years. As far as I know, the pre-settled status cannot be compared with a work permit, but at the same time, I rely on the pre-settled status to have the right to work in the UK. Does anyone know how I should answer these questions? Maybe someone else is in the same situation, or @Jessica Booker can shed some light on this?

Thank you all :) Have a lovely Sunday!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I am about to submit my final application for this cycle and stumbled over the following questions: Do you require a work permit to work in the UK?* and Do you currently hold a valid work permit?

I am an EU citizen with a pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme and have been working and living in London for the past 2 years. As far as I know, the pre-settled status cannot be compared with a work permit, but at the same time, I rely on the pre-settled status to have the right to work in the UK. Does anyone know how I should answer these questions? Maybe someone else is in the same situation, or @Jessica Booker can shed some light on this?

Thank you all :) Have a lovely Sunday!
    Is it a drop down menu (e.g. yes or no) or free text box answer or a combination of the two?

Glayson Tavares-Costa

M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 8, 2021
    Is it a drop down menu (e.g. yes or no) or free text box answer or a combination of the two?
    A combination of the two, the first question (Do you require a work permit to work in the UK?) has a drop-down menu with yes or no. The second question (Do you currently hold a valid work permit?) has a drop-down menu with yes or no, and also requests further details if you answer with 'yes'. Thanks :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    A combination of the two, the first question (Do you require a work permit to work in the UK?) has a drop-down menu with yes or no. The second question (Do you currently hold a valid work permit?) has a drop-down menu with yes or no, and also requests further details if you answer with 'yes'. Thanks :)

I'd put no to the first question and yes to the second, and then in the free text box write you have pre-settled status and the date until it runs, and that you'd then apply for an additional five years of settled status.

You technically don't have a work permit as such, but as a non-UK citizen and how things have changed, the wording gets a bit murky and I think this would be the clearest way to present your situation.

Glayson Tavares-Costa

M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 8, 2021
    I'd put no to the first question and yes to the second, and then in the free text box write you have pre-settled status and the date until it runs, and that you'd then apply for an additional five years of settled status.

You technically don't have a work permit as such, but as a non-UK citizen and how things have changed, the wording gets a bit murky and I think this would be the clearest way to present your situation.
    Thank you so much; super helpful! :)

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    Guys if anyone has any advice on a Denton's TC AC I'd be really grateful! I was sent the invite today and its next week and I work full time so am a bit panicked about how to prep! Any insight would be amazing. :)
    Congratulations on reaching the AC! If you don't mind, when did you apply and first hear back from them post app?

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Guys if anyone has any advice on a Denton's TC AC I'd be really grateful! I was sent the invite today and its next week and I work full time so am a bit panicked about how to prep! Any insight would be amazing. :)
    Pretty sure @Kablahc was successful with them. Maybe you could try to PM them for some insight :)

Reactions: c1070
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.