TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kablahc

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Pretty sure @Kablahc was successful with them. Maybe you could try to PM them for some insight :)
    Guys if anyone has any advice on a Denton's TC AC I'd be really grateful! I was sent the invite today and its next week and I work full time so am a bit panicked about how to prep! Any insight would be amazing. :)
    Yes, I'd be happy to help :)

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi guys,

In my cover letter I am writing about my ability to work in a fast-paced environment. I am describing the numerous tasks that I had to complete and how all became more stressful ahead of the hearings and a damn nightmare when the other side's legal team made a shameful request. Now, I do not want to make a list of all the things I have done but I would like to express that I can work as a trainee for a global law firm. Any tips?
    Thank you in advance

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    Hi guys,

In my cover letter I am writing about my ability to work in a fast-paced environment. I am describing the numerous tasks that I had to complete and how all became more stressful ahead of the hearings and a damn nightmare when the other side's legal team made a shameful request. Now, I do not want to make a list of all the things I have done but I would like to express that I can work as a trainee for a global law firm. Any tips?
    Thank you in advance
    Normally when I try to showcase that skill in an application I use my experience working as a salesgirl, waitress and sales manager. I do not necessarily list down all the tasks I carried out, but I explain how those roles required working under pressure and how I thrive and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment. I then draw it back to the firm and say why X firm is the ideal place to start my career.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Normally when I try to showcase that skill in an application I use my experience working as a salesgirl, waitress and sales manager. I do not necessarily list down all the tasks I carried out, but I explain how those roles required working under pressure and how I thrive and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment. I then draw it back to the firm and say why X firm is the ideal place to start my career.
    Can I simply state that over the last period I worked as a paralegal which required learning how to manage emotional stress and continuous strict deadlines especially ahead of the hearings.

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    Can I simply state that over the last period I worked as a paralegal which required learning how to manage emotional stress and continuous strict deadlines especially ahead of the hearings.
    I think you could throw in an example of how you managed emotional stress. It really depends on the word limit too I think. I am sure @Jessica Booker will be the best person to help you out with this :)

Reactions: S87

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    Can anyone please tell me if there are any non-rolling firms (July deadlines) left to apply to? I want to take a break from applications 😭 The application process truly is death🤒

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I'd probably play down "emotional stress" to a "pressurised environment", but yes, that is fine.

Reactions: S87

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    I have stuffed up totally.
    fail black and white GIF

I can only blame it on exam exhaustion and caffeine withdrawal, but I had two applications up both ready to apply and I was doing them at the same time because one had my marks already there and I was copying and I was ready to submit one and not the other and I’ve submitted the wrong one. 😭😭😭😭😭 Luckily it had all of the relevant info ready to go, I just regret submitting it because I hadn’t had chance to do a final proof read/probably would have changed some things on my cover letter. Am I stuck? Can I ask to resubmit? (Obviously that will look great for attention to detail/awareness. Just fml. I’m ready for retirement.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have stuffed up totally.
    fail black and white GIF

I can only blame it on exam exhaustion and caffeine withdrawal, but I had two applications up both ready to apply and I was doing them at the same time because one had my marks already there and I was copying and I was ready to submit one and not the other and I’ve submitted the wrong one. 😭😭😭😭😭 Luckily it had all of the relevant info ready to go, I just regret submitting it because I hadn’t had chance to do a final proof read/probably would have changed some things on my cover letter. Am I stuck? Can I ask to resubmit? (Obviously that will look great for attention to detail/awareness. Just fml. I’m ready for retirement.
    Can you withdraw the application? If so do that, and then apply with another email address.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.