TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

james134

Jun 26, 2021
Been a bit discouraged with the several TC rejections later so I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to begin paralegal applications?

Do I need to complete my LPC to be offered a paralegal job? Does it help with TC applications?

If anyone has any advice or experience, I would greatly appreciate it.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Been a bit discouraged with the several TC rejections later so I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to begin paralegal applications?

Do I need to complete my LPC to be offered a paralegal job? Does it help with TC applications?

There's no one set answer.

If I'm to speak with total candour, most paralegal positions have been extremely hard to come by. Because the TC market has been so horrifically competitive this cycle, employers are upping the standards for paralegals simply because they can. Some are only looking to recruit future trainees and some want those who have completed the LPC.

With that said, it isn't speaking for every large firm - far from it. Firms will almost always recruit the right candidate for the job, and there's absolutely nothing to say that you're not the right candidate!

In terms of making applications strong and stand out, the same broad principles apply as TC applications: identify why you want that role at that firm, identify your strengths and why you're the person for the job and go from there. Understanding the actual role of a 0aralegal is.important, but can also be challenging as the role will vary by firm and even by department. In bigger departments of bigger firms, paralegals will have quite a set, defined role. In smaller departments or smaller firms, paralegals may almost be in a quasi-trainee role where there's more 9verlap in that regard.

Very best of luck with your applications.

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    Is there any point to applying to a firm for a TC which has high A-level requirements and I don’t meet them?
    My uni grades are fortunately great, but my A-levels are pants.
    Tbh just in general, how much of an impact do mitigating circumstances make upon applications?

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Is there any point to applying to a firm for a TC which has high A-level requirements and I don’t meet them?
    Tbh just in general, how much of an impact do mitigating circumstances make upon applications?
    I would reach out to their graduate recruitment and ask. Some firms are very strict with their requirements, whereas others seem to be much more flexible.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Hele25

WRM19

M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 11, 2020

Hey there. I am currently a paralegal, and haven’t completed the LPC yet (due to start in September). I found the best way to find a role is through using legal recruiters - they often have a few jobs on the go at one time (although competitive..)! If you have any office work experience, Pro Bono or commercial experience, definitely leverage it when interviewing.

You definitely don’t need to have done the LPC to do the role - as long as you have good soft skills (strong written communication skills etc), and work hard to know the industry you’re working in, you should be fine. My in-house paralegal role definitely helped me to get a TC as you work closely with general counsel, and you get brilliant exposure to the runnings of a business which develops lots of different skills. You can also meet lots of other lawyers who are often willing to provide helpful career guidance and advice! Best of luck!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I’d email them to ask.

Also look at language - “we typically look for” is very different to “candidates must have achieved”.

Reactions: Hele25

james134

Jun 26, 2021
    Hey there. I am currently a paralegal, and haven’t completed the LPC yet (due to start in September). I found the best way to find a role is through using legal recruiters - they often have a few jobs on the go at one time (although competitive..)! If you have any office work experience, Pro Bono or commercial experience, definitely leverage it when interviewing.

You definitely don’t need to have done the LPC to do the role - as long as you have good soft skills (strong written communication skills etc), and work hard to know the industry you’re working in, you should be fine. My in-house paralegal role definitely helped me to get a TC as you work closely with general counsel, and you get brilliant exposure to the runnings of a business which develops lots of different skills. You can also meet lots of other lawyers who are often willing to provide helpful career guidance and advice! Best of luck!
    Thank you, do you have any examples of legal recruiters I could contact

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    @Daniel Boden @Jacob Miller @Dheepa

Hi guys,

I have done my research but would like to hear what you would have to say about this considering you are all future trainee solicitors: what are the latest current affairs/ business news that are likely to affect M&A activity (it doesn't have to be M&A news - just anything that you think will considerably affect M&A transactions now/foreseeable future).

Would love to hear your opinion on this!

Thanks

Reactions: breadpitt

rb26

Star Member
  • Sep 6, 2019
    Hi everyone,

I'd just like to say that earlier today I got a call to say I was successful in obtaining a paralegal role at a firm I absolutely love. I know it's not the end goal of a TC, but after many apps this year and no success (although 2 I'm waiting to hear back from) it's finally some positive news. I would like to thank this forum as even from just lurking I have obtained some invaluable advice that definitely helped me stand out :)

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    @Daniel Boden @Jacob Miller @Dheepa

Hi guys,

I have done my research but would like to hear what you would have to say about this considering you are all future trainee solicitors: what are the latest current affairs/ business news that are likely to affect M&A activity (it doesn't have to be M&A news - just anything that you think will considerably affect M&A transactions now/foreseeable future).

Would love to hear your opinion on this!

Thanks

Not an expert but I'd say the biggest M&A trend right now is everything and anything surrounding private equity firms. If you look at some of the biggest deals that have happened recently in both the UK and the US - they are all PE deals or SPAC deals (look into de-SPAC deals as well). There have also been significant M&A deals by tech companies - Amazon buying MGM entertainment, Facebook has also just recently bought a gaming company I think. Taking a broader view of this, it absolutely makes sense that these are the companies driving big value work - the Tech and PE sectors have benefited the most from the pandemic in a way that large multinational companies that are more reliant on efficiently working supply chains and consumer spending haven't.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi everyone,

I'd just like to say that earlier today I got a call to say I was successful in obtaining a paralegal role at a firm I absolutely love. I know it's not the end goal of a TC, but after many apps this year and no success (although 2 I'm waiting to hear back from) it's finally some positive news. I would like to thank this forum as even from just lurking I have obtained some invaluable advice that definitely helped me stand out :)

Paralegal roles are so hard to come by and can be even harder to secure (especially at a firm you like!) so this is amazing! Huge congratulations!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone,

Great news! Remember this is a journey not a destination, and that what you are doing is helping you with that journey. Congratulations and good luck with your new roles.

Reactions: rb26 and FM302989

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Read the title of this week’s newsletter and was like o_O

Then read the content and realised what it was about and was 🥳

Absolutely no chance of me waking up at 5.00am each day 😝

monsters inc boo GIF

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    Looking for a bit of advice. Two weeks ago I was taken to hospital by ambulance with an irregular ECG - turns out I have a virus (not Covid) and I'm still off work and not well. On the Friday (two days after my hospital admission), I had a training contract final partner interview - I attended the interview, in person in London. I obviously felt horrendous and definitely performed badly - I got into bed as soon as I got home and didn't leave my bed except to go to the bathroom until Sunday when another ambulance was called. In the interview, even questions that I had completely and totally prepped answers to, I completely forgot and just rambled something completely insane. I'm really concerned that I've cost myself the TC (after two years in the application process for this firm - who I ADORE). Part of me thinks I should email Grad Rec and tell them about the situation, part of me thinks that's a terrible idea and that it'll reflect badly on me to bring it up. Equally, I don't know what the purpose of informing them would be - could I request another interview? Do I just want them to bear it in mind? Or is this a lost cause?
    Any advice would be really greatly appreciated.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Jaysen
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.