TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone have any experience with disclosing a previous mental illness diagnosis in an application form? I am completing Macfarlanes' Resilience/Growth and spoke about my history with acute depression and self-harm. I'm not sure if I should tick the 'yes I have a mental disability' box (I've been ticking no in my previous application) as I have not suffered a depressive episode in the last 2 years.

@Jessica Booker or any other future trainees, do you have any insight on this?
I’ve seen enough disclosures to know it happens a fair amount, but probably nowhere near enough compared to the reality.

It’s such a personal thing though as it is a self disclosure. It’s very difficult to explain what should be done as it is ultimately down to how you would declare/disclose yourself

D

Deleted member 2707

I’ve seen enough disclosures to know it happens a fair amount, but probably nowhere near enough compared to the reality.

It’s such a personal thing though as it is a self disclosure. It’s very difficult to explain what should be done as it is ultimately down to how you would declare/disclose yourself
Thank you Jessica for this! I guess my question would be, is it okay for me to disclose it if my diagnosis was so long ago/it is no longer something I am actively struggling with?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you Jessica for this! I guess my question would be, is it okay for me to disclose it if my diagnosis was so long ago/it is no longer something I am actively struggling with?
That is again difficult for me to comment on as it is whether you think it is relevant or not to disclose.

A

Anon 11031

As far as mental illness is concerned, it's completely up to you and you have to decide for yourself.

If you feel a mental illness has significantly affected grades, then you might want to put that in the mitigating circumstances section.

If the question is generally just 'do you have a disability' you can usually elect to either disclose or not dependant on how you feel.

If the employer is Disability Confident, then this link may be useful in helping you determine whether your illness is a disability in line with the definition laid out in The Equality Act 2010.

These are all things I've considered in the past, I hope it's helpful!

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
I've just graduated with a mid 2.1 (literally 65%) and I am so disappointed with my final year results (63%). I thought I would have done well but it was a marked decrease from my Y2 average (67%). It was in part due to me studying remotely for the entire year- ie: being in a different timezone and being unable to engage with my classes as much but not sure if this is something I should be explaining in my cover letters and all. Also thinking about giving up on law because I don't think a 65% will cut it for training contracts.
Grades really aren't the be all and end all! They don't give you much to talk about (if anything) in your applications. It's the skilled you've gained and developed in work experience and extra curriculars which will make your applications stand out.

And congratulations on finishing your degree! It might not be what you hoped for but you've done bloody fantastic in very difficult circumstances and should be proud of that. :)

Reactions: Anon 11031

Legalregal

Valued Member
Jan 13, 2021
Hiya, I was a member of AS Aspire last cycle and from what I understand it can be quite a competitive process: there are quite a few spaces available but I understand that the number of people applying is also quite high!
Hey, I've been super fortunate enough to get a place on Aspire this year, after being unsuccessful last year, and wondered if it is possible to participate fully and easily while in full-time work- ie are events during business hours?

For context, I am considering whether to do an LLM (which would provide me with flexibility) or get a job this september. Thanks!

Kablahc

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    I've just graduated with a mid 2.1 (literally 65%) and I am so disappointed with my final year results (63%). I thought I would have done well but it was a marked decrease from my Y2 average (67%). It was in part due to me studying remotely for the entire year- ie: being in a different timezone and being unable to engage with my classes as much but not sure if this is something I should be explaining in my cover letters and all. Also thinking about giving up on law because I don't think a 65% will cut it for training contracts.
    1st: this is completely fine and when I was offered my TC (hadn't graduated yet) my 2nd year average was lower than that- it's definitely not going to cause you to lose out!

And 2nd - many, many firms are very aware of the pandemics effect on students. Some unfortunately have continued being strict on grades, but I know my firm said to me if I just missed my conditions it would have been fine because they know how hard it's been on everyone this year. I'm sure many other firms would take the same view since many of them have felt the effects of it on staff morale as well. 65 is actually a really great grade- don't feel down about it because it's certainly much higher than the average! But at least for me I've found that perception had deffo been warped from what we see on linkedin where most people post only their 1sts or exceptional marks. It won't affect your TC prospects at all :)

Reactions: Jaysen and Anon 11031
    D

Deleted member 2707

As far as mental illness is concerned, it's completely up to you and you have to decide for yourself.

If you feel a mental illness has significantly affected grades, then you might want to put that in the mitigating circumstances section.

If the question is generally just 'do you have a disability' you can usually elect to either disclose or not dependant on how you feel.

If the employer is Disability Confident, then this link may be useful in helping you determine whether your illness is a disability in line with the definition laid out in The Equality Act 2010.

These are all things I've considered in the past, I hope it's helpful!
    The link was just exactly what I needed! It's the first time I've chosen to disclose it so I am a little worried about the outcome- I'm going to contact my therapist tomorrow to get a copy of my records just in case they require it (international student here)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Jaysen and Anon 11031
    D

Deleted member 2707

Grades really aren't the be all and end all! They don't give you much to talk about (if anything) in your applications. It's the skilled you've gained and developed in work experience and extra curriculars which will make your applications stand out.

And congratulations on finishing your degree! It might not be what you hoped for but you've done bloody fantastic in very difficult circumstances and should be proud of that. :)
    Thank you for that! It's been difficult to accommodate to different timezones/virtual learning but live and learn I guess!

1st: this is completely fine and when I was offered my TC (hadn't graduated yet) my 2nd year average was lower than that- it's definitely not going to cause you to lose out!

And 2nd - many, many firms are very aware of the pandemics effect on students. Some unfortunately have continued being strict on grades, but I know my firm said to me if I just missed my conditions it would have been fine because they know how hard it's been on everyone this year. I'm sure many other firms would take the same view since many of them have felt the effects of it on staff morale as well. 65 is actually a really great grade- don't feel down about it because it's certainly much higher than the average! But at least for me I've found that perception had deffo been warped from what we see on linkedin where most people post only their 1sts or exceptional marks. It won't affect your TC prospects at all :)
    Thank you for this! Would it be alright if I DM-ed you to talk a little about the firm? Most firms I've reached out to talked about 'excellent academics' which have scared me a little bit.

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Hey, I've been super fortunate enough to get a place on Aspire this year, after being unsuccessful last year, and wondered if it is possible to participate fully and easily while in full-time work- ie are events during business hours?

For context, I am considering whether to do an LLM (which would provide me with flexibility) or get a job this september. Thanks!

Hi @Dheepa, i wanted to thank you personally for encouraging me to apply to Aspire, I was successful and got the email today! Hopefully it will assist in getting me some success this year!! ☺️
    Also been successful! Would love to know as well how to balance it with a full time job

• 🏆
    Reactions: Daniel Boden and ZaraB

Justsomeguy

Jul 19, 2021
    Shot in the dark here, but does anyone know what kind of bonus you can expect at NQ level at the top paying New York firms in London? (Skadden, Shearman, Willkie, White & Case etc). There really isn't much information online and people seem to be quite cryptic about it.

W

Legendary Member
    May 12, 2019
    Does anyone know whether it’s possible to balance doing TC and VS apps with the LPC? Has anyone had experience in doing it? I’m just wondering how much free time you will have. Any feedback would be much appreciated!!

LawGrad2019

Distinguished Member
    Feb 19, 2021
    Does anyone know whether it’s possible to balance doing TC and VS apps with the LPC? Has anyone had experience in doing it? I’m just wondering how much free time you will have. Any feedback would be much appreciated!!

I would say it depends on whether you are doing normal FT or accelerated; I did normal FT and it was difficult but definitely possible.

I started the LPC and signed up for pro bono opportunities straight away as they ran before VS deadlines (and are really competitive for this reason). They gave me lots to write about in apps and discuss in interviews, in addition to university stuff. I also attended lots of virtual insight evenings and open days which massively bloated my diary. I then got 6 apps in before Christmas. The next term was seriously tough - with having at least one AC/interview for 5 of those apps alongside exams - but again possible if you're organised.

I think the trick is to study smart on the LPC; if you are going to ULaw, make use of recorded workshops as consolidation and don't get bogged down making ridiculously long notes from the textbooks. Try and go to every workshop and make good notes in the workshops themselves :)

Reactions: Jaysen and W
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.