TCLA General Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
I have an interviewing question I would like to ask.

I have experienced several rejections from firms following the interview phase. The sole reason that each firm has rejected me was that my responses lacked detail.

I would like to ask how I can incorporate more detail into my interview responses? Further, how I can prepare for interviews in a way that would allow me to include more details in my answers?
Walking interviewers through your thought process may help, as will structuring your answers.

For example, if they ask you 'why commercial law', start with building on what first sparked your interest in law (something you read, an event, a conversation, work ex etc.) ➡️ talk about the initiatives you took to explore this interest further➡️ end with how your experiences and initiatives helped you understand that your skills and abilities are well-suited to a career in commercial law (eg- so if you went to an Open Day where you participated in a negotiation exercise, talk about which parts of the exercise you enjoyed and which parts best utilised your skills and how this helped you understand that you were fit for a career in commercial law).

Using a solid structure will help you fill in details and presents more thoughtful answers. I hope this helps!

Reactions: dg_burnham

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
Jun 12, 2019
I have an interviewing question I would like to ask.

I have experienced several rejections from firms following the interview phase. The sole reason that each firm has rejected me was that my responses lacked detail.

I would like to ask how I can incorporate more detail into my interview responses? Further, how I can prepare for interviews in a way that would allow me to include more details in my answers?
Like Jessica said I would emphasise on structure. For example let’s say STAR. Then within STAR the most important but I’d say is the action and result. So I always have like 3 things to say for action and then maybe two things for results. If you follow that you tend to have a lot to say.
But structure is also key in like why law and why the firm .. try to utilise the rule of three. When talking about my reasons for why the firm I always state three reasons. It works for me and it gives you enough room for detail(just don’t over do it cause I’ve done that and it can be demotivating when you can see their faces getting bored haha)

Reactions: dg_burnham

22tom03b

Mar 4, 2022
Hi @Jessica Booker I wanted to ask your advice about trying to defer my TC. I got the TC last July (at a PE/finance heavy US firm with an intake in the 10-15 range) and am currently doing the GDL, with a start date of September 2023. I happily accepted the offer and start date at the time without a second thought, but I've since realised that I'm very keen to take a year out to (probably paralegal for a bit and then) travel before starting the TC. Obviously I should have told them this at the time, and I'm slightly trying to both have my cake and eat it so if it isn't possible I’ll just get on with it, but having not taken a year out at any point yet, it is something I'm very keen on so that I can then throw myself into the job without feeling like I've missed out on an opportunity which won't come up again.

I'm wondering a) how likely it is that the firm would allow this (my hopeful thinking was that given people often want to start earlier, and from their perspective I'm locked into the job via the GDL funding, I can just swap with someone they give a TC to this year without it mattering much to the firm), and b) how to go about asking the firm - would raising this be frowned upon/make a bad impression?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker I wanted to ask your advice about trying to defer my TC. I got the TC last July (at a PE/finance heavy US firm with an intake in the 10-15 range) and am currently doing the GDL, with a start date of September 2023. I happily accepted the offer and start date at the time without a second thought, but I've since realised that I'm very keen to take a year out to (probably paralegal for a bit and then) travel before starting the TC. Obviously I should have told them this at the time, and I'm slightly trying to both have my cake and eat it so if it isn't possible I’ll just get on with it, but having not taken a year out at any point yet, it is something I'm very keen on so that I can then throw myself into the job without feeling like I've missed out on an opportunity which won't come up again.

I'm wondering a) how likely it is that the firm would allow this (my hopeful thinking was that given people often want to start earlier, and from their perspective I'm locked into the job via the GDL funding, I can just swap with someone they give a TC to this year without it mattering much to the firm), and b) how to go about asking the firm - would raising this be frowned upon/make a bad impression?
How likely is an impossible question for me to answer unfortunately. You’d need to really speak to the firm about this. Yes, they might be able to swap you out, but at the same time there could be other people ahead of you asking for the same thing.

You can only really find out what your chances are by speaking to them. It isn’t going to cause any bad impression by enquiring. It’s as straight forward as having a conversation with them and asking them if there is any possibility of deferring your start date, and if so what the impact might be.

One thing to consider if your TC was a traditional GDL/LPC TC is that you may need to transfer to the SQE model as many firms are moving their 2024 intakes to this qualification process.

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    This is a really random and niche question but I have been asked by AS if I want to be one of their Success Stories. I was having a look through their instagram and saw most of the people being posted had TC offers, but atm I only have a vac scheme offer. I guess I was wondering what people's thoughts were on whether it would be a good idea to do it or not? I think their context is that I was a CAC semi-finalist but I guess I worry is that it'll be perceived as being presumptuous about my "success" because I haven't converted my VS!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    This is a really random and niche question but I have been asked by AS if I want to be one of their Success Stories. I was having a look through their instagram and saw most of the people being posted had TC offers, but atm I only have a vac scheme offer. I guess I was wondering what people's thoughts were on whether it would be a good idea to do it or not? I think their context is that I was a CAC semi-finalist but I guess I worry is that it'll be perceived as being presumptuous about my "success" because I haven't converted my VS!
    I don’t think this is an issue - getting a vacation scheme is a success!

summer207

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2021
    Hi! Fellow CAC semi-finalist here, I was asked this as well and I’m assuming it will be a post with a bunch of us who secured VS following the semi-finals to emphasise the benefits of taking the part in the competition. I definitely understand your worry, so I though it might help knowing you’re not the only one!

• Love
    Reactions: thirdtimelucky

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Hi! Fellow CAC semi-finalist here, I was asked this as well and I’m assuming it will be a post with a bunch of us who secured VS following the semi-finals to emphasise the benefits of taking the part in the competition. I definitely understand your worry, so I though it might help knowing you’re not the only one!
    Ah yay! I was just like god I don’t want to do this if I’ve not got a TC secured but yes very glad to not be the only one!! :D

• Love
    Reactions: summer207

dg_burnham

Jan 31, 2022
    Walking interviewers through your thought process may help, as will structuring your answers.

For example, if they ask you 'why commercial law', start with building on what first sparked your interest in law (something you read, an event, a conversation, work ex etc.) ➡️ talk about the initiatives you took to explore this interest further➡️ end with how your experiences and initiatives helped you understand that your skills and abilities are well-suited to a career in commercial law (eg- so if you went to an Open Day where you participated in a negotiation exercise, talk about which parts of the exercise you enjoyed and which parts best utilised your skills and how this helped you understand that you were fit for a career in commercial law).

Using a solid structure will help you fill in details and presents more thoughtful answers. I hope this helps!
    Thank you!

So to confirm, going step-by-step into my thought process and precise actions in a structured manner (whether STAR or a chronological order) would help to provide more detail?

Reactions: AvniD

dg_burnham

Jan 31, 2022
    Like Jessica said I would emphasise on structure. For example let’s say STAR. Then within STAR the most important but I’d say is the action and result. So I always have like 3 things to say for action and then maybe two things for results. If you follow that you tend to have a lot to say.
    But structure is also key in like why law and why the firm .. try to utilise the rule of three. When talking about my reasons for why the firm I always state three reasons. It works for me and it gives you enough room for detail(just don’t over do it cause I’ve done that and it can be demotivating when you can see their faces getting bored haha)
    Thank you!

So to confirm, say 3 or so 'actions' (steps that I took) for an example, followed by the precise results; in tandem, keep the answer well structured (eg. STAR)?

Reactions: Pallatablelawyer

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
    Dec 21, 2021
    Hi would appreciate anyone’s thoughts on the below.

I work as a paralegal and will be returning to the office full time. Is it okay to work on direct TC apps for other firms whilst still in the office... my journey back home is quite long so I’d rather than stay in the office and work on apps after finishing. E.g. Would it be looked down upon if someone from the firm saw that I was researching another firm etc? @Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I work as a paralegal and will be returning to the office full time. Is it okay to work on direct TC apps for other firms whilst still in the office... my journey back home is quite long so I’d rather than stay in the office and work on apps after finishing. E.g. Would it be looked down upon if someone from the firm saw that I was researching another firm etc? @Jessica Booker
    You can.... but I would advise not doing this. If you do, do it away from your desk and in communal areas/canteens etc.

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021

Tbh I think it’s fine. You probably have a good chunk of downtime some days so it makes sense to use that time to work on your applications. I would agree with Jessica though to make sure you are not doing it in a place where someone is going to see your screen, and (you’d think this goes without saying but apparently not for some people) never use your work laptop or phone for your applications. But I personally think there’s no harm in taking some notes on your phone or breaking out a tablet in a cafe in the building or near your desk (if you have an office door you can close).

Reactions: Jessica Booker

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
    Dec 21, 2021
    You can.... but I would advise not doing this. If you do, do it away from your desk and in communal areas/canteens etc.
    Tbh I think it’s fine. You probably have a good chunk of downtime some days so it makes sense to use that time to work on your applications. I would agree with Jessica though to make sure you are not doing it in a place where someone is going to see your screen, and (you’d think this goes without saying but apparently not for some people) never use your work laptop or phone for your applications. But I personally think there’s no harm in taking some notes on your phone or breaking out a tablet in a cafe in the building or near your desk (if you have an office door you can close).
    Thanks! I assume the same limitations don't apply to legal research- e.g. working through the Christopher Stoakes book in preparation for an AC?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks! I assume the same limitations don't apply to legal research- e.g. working through the Christopher Stoakes book in preparation for an AC?
    Yes, anything that isn't related to your job I wouldn't spend more than 5-10 minutes doing at your desk. It is fine to take time out from your day, whether it is during breaks or at the end of the day to do the things that are not work-related, but my general advice is to do these things away from your desk and as @FS has said, I'd avoid doing them on the firm's equipment (e.g. laptops/computers/phone).

In some ways, doing it on your own devices and away from your desk clearly show that you are not working. The risk you take with doing this at your desk is that people could assume you are working and/or are trying to show "presenteeism" but aren't actually working. I think you also risk people asking you what you are doing if you are at your desk.

Gregory McManus

Jan 8, 2021
    Just as a question, does anyone know how accurate the salary reports on Legal Cheek are? There appears to be a discrepancy between them and Chambers Student and was wondering if anyone knew if either were particularly accurate?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.