TCLA General Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

djqb

Legendary Member
Sep 6, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker , what are your thoughts on submitting an application to a firm without having done any of their Forage programmes (if they have one)?

Does it reflect poorly on the candidate or does it show a lack of commitment to the firm?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker , what are your thoughts on submitting an application to a firm without having done any of their Forage programmes (if they have one)?

Does it reflect poorly on the candidate or does it show a lack of commitment to the firm?
Perfectly reasonable thing to do. They aren’t compulsory in anyway and should only be done really if you feel it will build your skill set or knowledge.

There’s plenty of other ways to show a commitment to the firm.

Reactions: OB and djqb

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Attending a careers fair is very different to completing a forage programme or attending an open day. Forage will require a 5-6 hour commitment of training - a careers fair is just you chatting to some people.
My apologies that I forgot to clarify but I didn't mean an open day. What I meant was the online events that firms like Linklaters, CC are going to be conducting over the next 2-3 months. They don't require any sort of an application to be filled out and the invite can basically be booked by simply dropping in your email address.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but a seat at an open day requires the applicant to go through some form of assessment and only then can he reserve a place.

Thank you for your patience.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
My apologies that I forgot to clarify but I didn't mean an open day. What I meant was the online events that firms like Linklaters, CC are going to be conducting over the next 2-3 months. They don't require any sort of an application to be filled out and the invite can basically be booked by simply dropping in your email address.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but a seat at an open day requires the applicant to go through some form of assessment and only then can he reserve a place.

Thank you for your patience.
These events are there to help you make your applications, not actually build out your applications. A bit like my comment above about Forage, you should only be attending them to get something out of the event (eg learn) rather than thinking it will make your application successful.

A bit like a careers fair, these events are not of value in terms of making your application look good, they are there to inform you on things that may help you then write a good application.

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
These events are there to help you make your applications, not actually build out your applications. A bit like my comment above about Forage, you should only be attending them to get something out of the event (eg learn) rather than thinking it will make your application successful.

A bit like a careers fair, these events are not of value in terms of making your application look good, they are there to inform you on things that may help you then write a good application.
Sorry if I sound ignorant,

I am understanding what’s the distinction between Forage and attending an open day. But don’t you think that attending an open day shows commitment? And how would you mention it in a vs app?
Thank you in advance

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Sorry if I sound ignorant,

I am understanding what’s the distinction between Forage and attending an open day. But don’t you think that attending an open day shows commitment? And how would you mention it in a vs app?
Thank you in advance
I’m not talking about open days there, I am talking about careers events.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is it difficult to move firms as soon as you qualify?
Quite a lot of variables here to say how difficult it is.

There are enough people who do it upon qualification though, either because they want to move away from the firm they trained in or because they aren’t offered a NQ role.

But how likely it is will depend on the firm you train with, the work you have done as a trainee, the seats/secondments you have done, and where you are aiming to work for upon qualification (both in terms of firm and practice area).

It isn’t straight forward and will depend on other factors such as the networks you build/the agencies you register with/how proactive you are in seeking a NQ role too (which can be difficult if you are busy working).

RoughWood

Legendary Member
Trainee
Feb 24, 2021
**Upcoming GDL at ULaw**

Hello, for anyone starting the GDL at ULaw this Sept, did you receive a confirmation email once you submitted the form for ordering your books?

Thanks!! :)
I am about to start the LPC with ULaw and didn't receive anything until the courier notification that they were on the way, about a week later. My GDL books from last year still show as pending on the booking page so take that status with a bucket of salt

Reactions: nina_123

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
I am about to start the LPC with ULaw and didn't receive anything until the courier notification that they were on the way, about a week later. My GDL books from last year still show as pending on the booking page so take that status with a bucket of salt
I'm a second year part-time LPC student at ULaw and I got a confirmation email, from CPI YourWay, subject line is New order #(Your order no.) at University of Law, its went to my ULaw email, you can just login to the order portal and see pending orders to check it went through okay but all of my book orders show as pending, including those from last year...

Hele25

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 5, 2021
Does anyone know if you’re able to apply for S+M’s Winter Scheme (the one for final year students), and a TC in the same year?
Or, are you automatically put forward for a TC when you attend the Winter Scheme?
thaaanks

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Premium Member
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 1, 2020
**Upcoming GDL at ULaw**

Hello, for anyone starting the GDL at ULaw this Sept, did you receive a confirmation email once you submitted the form for ordering your books?

Thanks!! :)
Hey!!!

Haha so I registered two days ago, got nothing and then registered again today--when you get to the end it says you won't get an email confirmation straight away, it will take 3 working days for a confirmation, then you'll get contacted by FedEx. They said to only contact if you haven't heard anything within 6 working days.

I'm also expecting to receive a "stop repeatedly registering" email in the next few days 🤣

BTW I'm going to be Moorgate, WBU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.