TCLA General Discussion Thread 2022-23

Mahesh

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 22, 2018
Hi Caroline, this is perfectly normal - not only have I been through this, but I know many others who have. And frankly, once you convert one TC, you’ll be surprised at how the other TC offers come one after the next!

I set out some context and then some insights afterwards below.

Context:
Why it is fine:
In relationships, we see it as perfectly normal to meet different people before settling down with the right match. Even for most other careers, folks do 2-3 internships at various organisations before getting an offer.
Why it may not be fine (from a Law firm POV): Law firms can be risk-averse, and their only concern may be that you have a persistent trait that needs to be improved before you are ready to be a trainee - it is on you to demonstrate how you have changed following feedback.

Insights:
1. Control the narrative - focus on the positive
Rather than let your interviewers slip into their assumptions of why you did not make it, control the narrative by talking about (I) what an amazing opportunity you had at those 2 firms to experience a variety of practice areas and network with a ton of lawyers (II) how that influenced what practice areas you wanted to undertake (which ideally will be aligned with the law firm you are interviewing with) and what kind of firm you wanted to train in and (iii) how you took away any constructive feedback from that vac scheme to improve yourself in clear tangible and measurable ways.

2. Have a steely sense of confidence about your story. Rather than explain the situation from a defensive position, explain from a position of strength: Rather than saying I was rejected or I had many problems that I needed to fix, it’s much better to say I learnt that I operated better in x environment instead, or I have since worked on improving my x skill following feedback from the vac scheme by doing y.

To end-off, my gray-area/controversial personal opinions below:

1. Anything can be explained with enough confidence. I have seen friends lateral as an NQ into another firm without even undertaking a seat in that practice area. Think about the FTX collapse, how even government institutions bought FTX’s story. Read around how delivery of your answer is the deal-breaker, and focus on explaining all the positives you bring to the role - mainly that you have pretty much undertaken a mini-TC for a month and therefore have a good stepping stone to a full TC as opposed to someone who has just done one VS and only knows one kind of law firm environment. Someone who has the perfect CV but doesn’t know how to deliver it will probably not have a shot too.

2. This is just my observation, but firms do not go and check with each other whether an offer was given or not - it just doesn’t happen. So sometimes less is more. If they do not explicitly ask you whether you got an offer or not, there may be no need to explain it at all and instead focus on what you learnt from those vac schemes!

Hope this was helpful Caroline, and all the best!

Seven

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
May 15, 2022
@Jessica Booker @Erin Hi Jessica/Erin, I subscribed to TCLA Gold Premium yesterday on Friday night. Still waiting for someone to grant me access to the group on this forum. Nobody is responding to the membership request. Can you please please help. I desperately need a use of these materials. Appreciate any help you can give.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker @Erin Hi Jessica/Erin, I subscribed to TCLA Gold Premium yesterday on Friday night. Still waiting for someone to grant me access to the group on this forum. Nobody is responding to the membership request. Can you please please help. I desperately need a use of these materials. Appreciate any help you can give.
Hi @Zab - the team doesn’t work over the weekend, so this will be picked up on Monday. Unfortunately I don’t have access to the system to see whether you have purchased the subscription, but if you want to private message me and screenshots of confirmation of your purchase, I can at least give you access to the premium forum content (I can’t give you access to the learning platform though unfortunately).

• 🤝
Reactions: Erin and Seven

Erin

Legendary Member
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Operations
Jul 13, 2022
Hi @ZJ - apologies for the delay here! You will now have full access to all of the premium resources included with your membership. Feel free to reach out if you need anything further. Best, Erin 😊

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
Hi @ZJ - apologies for the delay here! You will now have full access to all of the premium resources included with your membership. Feel free to reach out if you need anything further. Best, Erin 😊
Hi, I have a similar request. I have a couple of weeks left on a free month of membership, but no one has responded to the membership request. If I am not entitled to this, please let me know, but if I am I'd love access! Thanks :)

samni

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 2, 2020
I completed the junior lawyers form and replied to an email asking for more information a week ago, wondering what the status is for that as I wish to access the JLC!
Similarly, I sent in an application for the JLC through the Google Form a couple of weeks ago but have yet to receive any emails at all about the sign up. Is there somewhere else I need to send my information/proof to join the community? Would really love to gain access :)

@Jessica Booker @Erin

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
Does Orrick have minimum A Level requirements? I rlly wanna apply there but it seems soo competitive!!
It says no requirement on Chambers Student Guide: Application and selection criteria - Chambers Student Guide
They also told me to apply with a low 2.1, so I don't think grades mean *that* much to them. They have many application questions and a cover letter, so I think they're hoping that people would be put off by that? Hence they don't have to have such strict academic requirements.

EVjuji

Valued Member
Nov 29, 2019
Are there any resources on TCLA (premium) to prepare for an AC? The AC consists of a written exercise, role play and case study.
I am aware of the 200 interview questions bank on TCLA.

Any tips how to prepare for the written exercise and case study?

I have never attended an AC before. :/

D

daisy_yawn

Are there any resources on TCLA (premium) to prepare for an AC? The AC consists of a written exercise, role play and case study.
I am aware of the 200 interview questions bank on TCLA.

Any tips how to prepare for the written exercise and case study?

I have never attended an AC before. :/
It depends on the firm so maybe search for that firm specifically on the database?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica! I've signed up for the premium subscription yesterday but my membership for the forum is still awaiting approval. When can I expect approval to be granted (if you know)?
Hi @daisy_yawn - please can you PM me with a screenshot of your purchase and I’ll provide you with access.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.