TCLA General Discussion Thread 2022-23

skiier

Jul 6, 2023
Hi TCLA!

I've just found out I have secured a place on the AS 2023 Aspire programme!

From members of TCLA who have taken part in previous years, it would be great to hear about your experience, how you found the scheme and what to expect.

And for any TCLA members who have secured a place for this year, I've made a thread here, would be great to break the ice ahead of the meetings :) -

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi TCLA!

From members of TCLA who have taken part in previous years, it would be great to hear about your experience, how you found the scheme and what to expect.

And for any TCLA members who have secured a place for this year, I've made a thread here, would be great to break the ice ahead of the meetings :) -

Thanks!
Congratulations on securing a place!

legally confused

Standard Member
Jun 15, 2021
Hey @legally confused,

I am so sorry you are feeling this way, but, as the above responses from other members of the community have reinforced, you have nothing to fear! I have three bits of advice for you :)

First, I want to congratulate you on achieving that TC - that was the biggest feat and you have done it! Do not let anything diminish that achievement - not age, anyone else’s opinion, nothing. I would be saying the same thing if you were 50 and thinking of a career change.

Second, there were a number of individuals on my LPC you came to the table after 1, 2 or even 3 career changes. Not everyone comes to the table at 18, 19 or 20 years old knowing that a career in law is for them (in fact, very few people do). People realise their skill set or interests lie elsewhere, which is both natural, normal and understandable. I certainly do not know exactly what I want to do until the day I retire! So, what you will find is substantial fluctuations of age in TC cohorts, because everyone has a different journey. You are all, in reality, at the same stage in your career, regardless of your age. Indeed, age is just a number (as my mother likes to say haha!).

Third, some time off is never not good for you. I have had to take 6 months off before my TC because every cohort starts in August. Initially, I was wary because I did not know how to pass the time. I am very much a person who loves to be doing something always. As you can see, 5 months later, I have joined the fantastic TCLA team. However, I have also read 10 books, been able to travel, spent time with my boyfriend and my mum and sister, started looking after my mental health by running, spinning and going to the gym. You catch my drift. I have taken the time to set myself up properly for the gruelling hours and hard work of the TC before I start. I am SO glad I had the 6 months and if I had more time, I would do even more (I had promised to learn a language but alas… books got in the way).

Take some time to look after yourself and realise that everything typically happens for a reason (I am big into manifestation haha). I am telling you you will come back to this forum in a few years after the SQE shouting from the rooftops thanking GR for the time off :).

Do keep in touch and keep us updated on your journey please!

Hope that helps :)

Laura
Thank you so much for the support, I really appreciate it!

You have certainly given me a good perspective to adopt and I will make sure to make the most of the year ahead of me as a time to breathe, relax and explore before my SQE/TC :)

• Love
Reactions: laurabeaumont

missingtwiggies

Aug 3, 2022
Hi Jessica/everyone!

I attended an interview at a MC law firm almost two weeks ago, for a corporate paralegal role. The interview went very well, and a few hours after, someone from HR sent me an email saying that the interview panel really enjoyed meeting with me. She then went on to remind me that they were still interviewing other candidates, but that they’d get back to me “shortly” to advise on my application status, and ended the email with thanking me for my patience.

It’s now been almost two weeks with no sign of a response for the firm, and I’m stressing out. I haven’t gotten to interview stage with a Magic Circle law firm before so I was wondering if anyone has an insight to the process? Is it normal to wait up to/more than two weeks to hear back after an interview? I don’t know if it’s appropriate to follow up either, given that HR contacted me first and said they’d be in touch.

Any advice would be appreciated - thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica/everyone!

I attended an interview at a MC law firm almost two weeks ago, for a corporate paralegal role. The interview went very well, and a few hours after, someone from HR sent me an email saying that the interview panel really enjoyed meeting with me. She then went on to remind me that they were still interviewing other candidates, but that they’d get back to me “shortly” to advise on my application status, and ended the email with thanking me for my patience.

It’s now been almost two weeks with no sign of a response for the firm, and I’m stressing out. I haven’t gotten to interview stage with a Magic Circle law firm before so I was wondering if anyone has an insight to the process? Is it normal to wait up to/more than two weeks to hear back after an interview? I don’t know if it’s appropriate to follow up either, given that HR contacted me first and said they’d be in touch.

Any advice would be appreciated - thank you!
This is very normal with paralegal roles. It is fine to contact your HR contact back and ask if there is an update on your application though, especially given its now been a couple of weeks.

missingtwiggies

Aug 3, 2022
No - two weeks is no time at all for these things.
Hi Jessica, sorry to bother again - I'm just drafting the email. Would you say the following is appropriate?

Hi X,

I hope you're keeping well.

I interviewed for X position at X on the 3rd of July. I understand the time and thought that goes into the hiring process, but I wanted to check if there is any update on my application?

I am very interested in the position and really enjoyed my conversation with X, who provided an excellent insight to the firm and the role.

Please let me know if you require any further information.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you again for your time and best wishes,

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, sorry to bother again - I'm just drafting the email. Would you say the following is appropriate?

Hi X,

I hope you're keeping well.

I interviewed for X position at X on the 3rd of July. I understand the time and thought that goes into the hiring process, but I wanted to check if there is any update on my application?

I am very interested in the position and really enjoyed my conversation with X, who provided an excellent insight to the firm and the role.

Please let me know if you require any further information.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you again for your time and best wishes,
Call them - it’s much quicker for both you and them.

Reactions: missingtwiggies

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
Hi @Jessica Booker, hope you're doing well.

I wanted to ask - are there any threads/posts on TCLA which explain how you should refer to a vac scheme when applying for TCs/vac schemes in your next round? I'm really quite unsure about how (if at all) I should mention the name, the extent to which we should discuss the scheme vs other work experience, and how much we should relate that firm to the firm I'm applying to. (For context, I did my vac scheme at a very international firm, and I'm thinking about writing that this confirmed to me (alongside the work I did there) my desire for a very international environment - but I'm worried that grad recruitment may just think then that I don't seem as interested in their firm as the one I did my vac scheme at.)

Thanks in advance for any help! :)
Hi @a2931,

I know this question was referred to @Jessica Booker but thought I could also shed some light on it. You should definitely declare the vacation scheme if you have already completed it. In fact, you will have to declare it if you obtain a TC/VS at this other firm when completing their onboarding process.

Nonetheless, it is one hard-earned aspect of your journey and plays into your overall narrative in relation to obtaining a TC. You are on the right track in relation to explaining how "the experience on the VS confirmed A and B specific aspects of commercial law for you etc..". As long as you are genuine in the way you communicate your interest in this other firm, they shouldn't have a problem with your success in securing a VS elsewhere - indeed, it means you are high in demand!

Hope this helps.

Laura :)

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
Hi TCLA!

Thanks!
Hi @skiier,

I took part in the AS 2020-21 Aspire Programme and loved it!

My calls with Zoe every few weeks were a real motivation to succeed. She helped me with my first vacation scheme application and my vacation scheme preparation; specifically, with confidence in VS and fighting imposter syndrome. Zoe has a fantastic attitude about the whole process and was SO excited when I told her I got a VS and then a TC - she literally screamed through the phone! Definitely made me feel less isolated in the process and it was such a privilege.

I also didn't have the TCLA community/forum when I was applying and I made a few friends on the Aspire Group Chats on Whatsapp (which were made independently of the programme). We updated each other on our journeys and when we heard from firms. Of course, the TCLA forums are now excellent for that exact thing. Again, I felt much less isolated when talking to others on the same journey.

I also attended a few open days through Aspire which was very useful!

Overall, I would definitely recommend applying to the Aspire programme - it is well-run and is a great supplement.

Hope this helps!

Laura :)

Last edited:

NJS

Legendary Member
  • Aug 21, 2021
    Hi TCLA!

Thanks!
    Hey, I secured a place too!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker what is the etiquette when declining a TC offer? Will a simple thank you but I regrettably cannot accept be enough - or should I cite a reason (which is that I have chosen another firm)?
    Either is fine. If you don’t say why, the firm is likely to ask anyway. It’s up to you whether you share this information though.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jaysen according to you, what is the most important characteristic of a good leader?
    If this is for an application/interview, I would personally recommend thinking about what the firm you are applying to considers a good leader.

I am sure Jaysen will have his own view on this, but it might not be what the firm you are considering thinks.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.