TCLA General Discussion Thread 2022-23

lawyer256

Star Member
Nov 20, 2022
I have a 2025 TC with a Washington DC law firm that has a heavy focus on politics in London. Between now and Sept 2024 (when I start the SQE) I am going to go traveling. I am interested in going to a culinary school for a bit, but my background is also in history, politics and IR so keen to explore this a bit. Would it be cheeky if I emailed my firm asking if they had any connections in the country I am going to (where I am also a citizen) and if they know of any jobs going? The firm does not have an office there but they do have a friend network and a policy arm of the firm that does non-legal work but lobbying instead. They also do not offer paralegal positions.

My general rule is 'if you don't ask you won't get' but is this appropriate here?
which firm is this - am interested in politics thanks

latte23

May 9, 2021
hi everyone! i'm planning on applying for firms in london next cycle, but i'll be staying abroad in my home country due to family and health reasons. i do have a law llb from a uk uni, but i'm worried that being abroad will hinder my chances at a TC in london. should i be concerned? is there anything i can do to make myself a competitive applicant? i'm quite anxious about this cycle, as it's my second cycle and i'm not in the uk.

Jake Rickman

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 42
  • Nov 6, 2020
    hi everyone! i'm planning on applying for firms in london next cycle, but i'll be staying abroad in my home country due to family and health reasons. i do have a law llb from a uk uni, but i'm worried that being abroad will hinder my chances at a TC in london. should i be concerned? is there anything i can do to make myself a competitive applicant? i'm quite anxious about this cycle, as it's my second cycle and i'm not in the uk.
    I think to be honest it will impair your prospects not to be applying from the UK, because most interviews and assessment centres are happening in person. As you have mitigating circumstances that explain why you are not in the country, this may offset the disadvantages, but it may also not.

Reactions: latte23

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    It’s more difficult, but not impossible. Some firms will offer virtual events and virtual assessment centres, and for those that don’t, you’ll have to try and work out whether you could afford to return to the U.K. briefly to attend assessments. I have seen people do this before, and where they can, they try to line up multiple assessments/interviews while they are in the U.K.

Reactions: latte23

stone’sthrow

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Nov 9, 2019
    Hi, has anyone been through the process of or extensively researched the requirements to sit the New York bar? If you have a UK PGDL instead of an LLB, can you never take the NY bar exam?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, has anyone been through the process of or extensively researched the requirements to sit the New York bar? If you have a UK PGDL instead of an LLB, can you never take the NY bar exam?
    You won’t be able to if your legal education is only the GDL. You will generally need three years of legal education to be eligible for the New York Bar, so you would need to go on to further study.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What about if you have the PGDL, SQE1 and SQE2 course and an LLM?
    The SQE is not an academic course, so just passing the assessments would not be education as such. If you did a GDL and 2 years of recognised graduate or postgraduate study, then you could have the three years of legal education needed.

You don’t need to NYB to work in New York though - seen plenty of people just work as English qualified lawyers. On the flip side having the NYB does not make you employable in New York either.

hannah04

Legendary Member
    Jan 9, 2023
    The SQE is not an academic course, so just passing the assessments would not be education as such. If you did a GDL and 2 years of recognised graduate or postgraduate study, then you could have the three years of legal education needed.

You don’t need to NYB to work in New York though - seen plenty of people just work as English qualified lawyers. On the flip side having the NYB does not make you employable in New York either.
    Hey Jessica, when you mentioned you've "seen plenty of people just work as English qualified lawyers" in NY, how does this process happen for them? Is it the case that once you qualify as a solicitor in England, you can apply for any associate position in the US at any firm, or is there only specific "foreign qualified lawyer associate" positions you're eligible for and only at specific firms?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey Jessica, when you mentioned you've "seen plenty of people just work as English qualified lawyers" in NY, how does this process happen for them? Is it the case that once you qualify as a solicitor in England, you can apply for any associate position in the US at any firm, or is there only specific "foreign qualified lawyer associate" positions you're eligible for and only at specific firms?
    Most of them have transferred internally within the firms they work for rather than apply externally. I wouldn’t expect many external roles to come up specifically for an English qualified lawyer in New York, and if it was, in those instances you’d most likely need to be dual qualified.

confusedlawstudent

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 28, 2021
    I am currently working on my application to be a paralegal at a tech company. One of the questions is "why do you want to work for us?"
    The main reason I want to work for them is because it is a tech company and I'm really interested in tech, but I'm worried that reason isn't tailored enough to them. Is it worth mentioning anyway as I wanted to mention my interest in tech?
    I have also mentioned other reasons why I want to work for them like their international presence and their products.

Ambbb

Apr 10, 2023
    Do BPP not provide physical books at all for the LLM SQE1 and 2? I’m due to start next Monday and have been told that all resources are online :( Since I study best with physical books, would it be worth buying ULaw books even though I’m not studying with them?

InvesmentBanker

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 26, 2023
    Do BPP not provide physical books at all for the LLM SQE1 and 2? I’m due to start next Monday and have been told that all resources are online :( Since I study best with physical books, would it be worth buying ULaw books even though I’m not studying with them?
    You could print out the workbooks (which you will find on the hub)

ChiomaO

• Sep 12, 2023
    Hi all

I am not sure if this is the right platform to ask the question but I would love any guidance you are willing to provide. I am a foreign-qualified lawyer who practised for about 2 years before moving to the UK. When I moved, I decided to try out something in the creative industry which I did for about 2 years but now understanding my path, I am returning back to law.

As application season has opened up, I am considering applying for training contracts but I am not sure if that is the right step. I have also considered legal secretary and paralegal roles just to get myself back in the realm of law.

I would appreciate any advice you have on how to approach coming back into the law space.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone have any experience getting QWE confirmed by a place you used to work at? I have no idea where to start. Thanks!
    Firstly, do you have a record of what you worked on and how this matches or aligns with the SRA’s competences and standards framework?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I haven’t written down anything yet but I can remember. It was a paralegal in a city firm role
    The first thing to do would be to write it into a format the firm can sign off. They can’t agree to signing anything off without you having a record of what you did.

You will then just need to request it being signed off. Technically the firm can’t refuse if it meets the SRA’s requirements.

Law1099

Valued Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    The first thing to do would be to write it into a format the firm can sign off. They can’t agree to signing anything off without you having a record of what you did.

You will then just need to request it being signed off. Technically the firm can’t refuse if it meets the SRA’s requirements.
    Thank you. Do I just write a paragraph of what I did and how it meets the competency standards?

I’m a bit confused on how much detail/what format to put this in, and how they can put their signature onto it. The SRA haven’t got an official example or form to fill in

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.