TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Bit of info from Travers' grad rec at their legal cheek event last night, for anyone still working on that app - in the cover letter they're looking mainly for 'why law' & 'why Travers,' with 'why you' ideally arising organically (e.g. 'Travers appeals to me because [X] aligns with my interests/values, which I hold because [Y].') I very much got the impression that they are not looking for you to pitch skills/competencies in the cover letter, at least not as a discrete element - that said, I imagine many of us have 'because I think I'll be good at it' as part of our 'why law' so I think there's room to sprinkle a bit in on that front.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Can relate to this so much. Felt like I was an absolute shoo-in at Weil since I had the right competencies and a great rapport with grad rec. Did a great practice WG too and then lost out on my dream firm because of the final WG. I am failing to understand how the WG can be an accurate measure of one's abilities and more importantly their compatibility and acumen for the firm's specific practice? Surely a psychometric test designed predominantly for one type of intelligence should be discontinued?
I feel you and I do not have an answer to your question.

But the WG does not certainly measure candidates 'intelligence but only a set of abilities. I am not Einstein but I move through life in a smart way ergo I am not stupid.
Besides, the Links report states that my strongest skill is critical thinking..but I am also dyslexic and they could not provide reasonable adjustments.
Please do not let a test define you! I am fairly intelligent and incredibly resilient

awd1998

Star Member
Jan 7, 2022
Dentons Summer AC!! Please let me know if you have an ac with them coming up or have previously had one. It would be great to know how ppl are preparing
Have an AC with them next week. I prepared pretty well for the VI so I am just gonna rea read those notes and make sure I know the firm inside out and the office I want to work in too. I am also gonna look up recent deals my office has been involved in sort of thing too.

skmx

Star Member
Nov 17, 2021
Hi guys, does anyone with previous experience know how long it takes for CMS to get back to you after an AC? Also, how did those who did their AC with CMS yesterday find it?
Last year a friend had an AC on a Wednesday - heard good news on Friday.

also last year a friend had an AC on Thursday and was rejected Friday.
I presume rejections are asap

Reactions: tt_xo

Commerciallaw

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 30, 2021
    Does anyone have any suggestions for good firms to apply to?
    I think 'good' is really subjective. You need to reflect on what goods means to you - what you want in a career - the type of work you want to be involved in. Then when you figure that out you would be able to find the firms that match that criteria. Maybe if you post the criteria you are looking for we could make suggestions :)👍

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    I think 'good' is really subjective. You need to reflect on what goods means to you - what you want in a career - the type of work you want to be involved in. Then when you figure that out you would be able to find the firms that match that criteria. Maybe if you post the criteria you are looking for we could make suggestions :)👍
    I have already applied to all the ones that apply to my criteria I was looking for suggestions that have closer deadlines/ easier questions to maximise my chances!

Thank you for your comment! I didn't realise that I didn't specify lol

Reactions: Commerciallaw

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi guys,

Could I have your opinion on my answer for the Covington application; the question is asking to discuss an interesting recent news and how this could benefit the firm. I decided, given the firm's expertise on semiconductors, to talk about the global shortage of chip.
    I am bit stuck on how this could benefit the firm's business: I mentioned how the US Senate, the EU Commission and the UK Government are introducing measures to address the global shortage. Given Covington's presence in all these countries is well equipped to assist its existing clients facing regulatory or IP issues. Moreover, since Germany is the hub of patent lawsuits, they could consider expanding their team in Frankfurt. Finally, American or Asian companies might consider vertical acquisitions which might ignited competition litigation.
    What do you think, do you have more suggestions?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.