TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Has anyone who completed the Weil VI in mid-late December / early Jan heard back yet:

Green Tick - AC offer
Cross Mark - Rejection post-VI
Like - No news

Thank you.
My VI was 2 Jan and have heard nothing since. From posts here, lead time on AC invites after VI seems to have been 1-2 weeks but that might be different if they've got loads of applications from the last week to get through right now.

Reactions: Dwight

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone know if Covington’s deadline is 23:59 on the 13th or 14th of Jan? Find these deadlines so confusing when they don’t specify😭
It will be the date they state, and will not turn off at 23.59 the night before. It works exactly like university deadlines.

However, it might not necessarily be 23.59 that it turns off on the date they state. Some firms turn off applications at close of business on the date they stated. However, the vast majority of these processes are automated via the applicant tracking system and there the portal is most likely to be live (and therefore you will need to submit your application) by 23.59 on the date the firm states.

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Last year a lot of peoples portal got updated and heard nothing back. When they emailed they found out whether they had progressed or not. DLA’s system sometimes doesn’t send out emails to certain email addresses. I know last year some email addresses didn’t receive their rejection email all they got was an updated portal.

I say all of that to say, if your portal has been updated and you haven’t heard back, email grad rec. I don’t want to be negative and say you might have been rejected but if you haven’t received the email and your portal has been updated, it’s worth looking into. Last year a lot of peoples portal were updated only for them to email grad Rev and find out they have been rejected and didn’t hear back because the system made a mistake
    I've emailed and they said I haven't missed anything and they're still reviewing apps so think they fixed the email issue

Law2021vacschemer

Valued Member
    Dec 7, 2021
    Has anyone heard back from Freshfields about the WG for their VS? A friend of mine got an invite for the test this morning, which I'm a bit surprised by as the deadline was less than a week ago. Not sure if they're giving out invites as they read each app or if I should expect a rejection
    Hi I think they are getting back to people in batches- I was sent the WG on the 29th December, sat it on the 31st, and then sent an AC invite on the 6th or 7th January.

s10

Distinguished Member
    Oct 1, 2020
    I truly hate WG, why when I practice I get 70-80% and suck when doing the real test?
    Can relate to this so much. Felt like I was an absolute shoo-in at Weil since I had the right competencies and a great rapport with grad rec. Did a great practice WG too and then lost out on my dream firm because of the final WG. I am failing to understand how the WG can be an accurate measure of one's abilities and more importantly their compatibility and acumen for the firm's specific practice? Surely a psychometric test designed predominantly for one type of intelligence should be discontinued?

djqb

Legendary Member
    Sep 6, 2020
    Can relate to this so much. Felt like I was an absolute shoo-in at Weil since I had the right competencies and a great rapport with grad rec. Did a great practice WG too and then lost out on my dream firm because of the final WG. I am failing to understand how the WG can be an accurate measure of one's abilities and more importantly their compatibility and acumen for the firm's specific practice? Surely a psychometric test designed predominantly for one type of intelligence should be discontinued?
    The WG is not a measure of one's intelligence or abilities - unfortunately it's simply a way to cut numbers so that GR can decently go through a sane number of applications

Please don't measure your own self worth/intelligence through something that's essentially a numbers cutting exercise

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Such assessments are often one of the strongest predictors for on the job performance, usually where the skills needed in the assessment are also needed day to day in the job.

They are by no means perfect - but as I keep assuming of late, recruitment is an art not a science, and therefore perfection doesn’t exist. Assessments like the WG can be one of the most accurate tools out there though, especially when they are used appropriately (eg with other assessments, with the right benchmarks, with deadlines that aren’t too short).

As they are much more likely to help with successful recruitment than relying on more subjective elements (like an application form) alone, many firms will continue to use them.

Any type of assessment is continually monitored by recruitment to see if there are any issues with it, especially with diversity concerns. The reason why applications forms change, new assessments come in or changes to the recruitment process happen, even moving from rolling to non rolling recruitment, is usually because they have assessed their recruitment data and realised something isn’t working as best as it can.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    The WG is not a measure of one's intelligence or abilities - unfortunately it's simply a way to cut numbers so that GR can decently go through a sane number of applications

Please don't measure your own self worth/intelligence through something that's essentially a numbers cutting exercise
    I’d challenge that - it is an assessment of someone’s abilities, although not their intelligence. It is just that it assesses a particular set of abilities closely aligned to verbal comprehension and analytical thinking. It doesn’t cover all forms of verbal comprehension or analytical thinking though.

It’s not just about cutting numbers down. If that was the case, firms would keep applications open for a week or two and would do less promotion. That’s a far more effective way of keeping application numbers down than using this form of assessment.

The WG assesses key capabilities needed for the job. It would actually be pretty dangerous to have any assessment that didn’t assess something that was required to work in the firm, as that’s only likely to lead to bad outcomes where you are filtering out people on something you don’t need.

Lawfulx

Star Member
    Jan 2, 2021
    Last year a lot of peoples portal got updated and heard nothing back. When they emailed they found out whether they had progressed or not. DLA’s system sometimes doesn’t send out emails to certain email addresses. I know last year some email addresses didn’t receive their rejection email all they got was an updated portal.

I say all of that to say, if your portal has been updated and you haven’t heard back, email grad rec. I don’t want to be negative and say you might have been rejected but if you haven’t received the email and your portal has been updated, it’s worth looking into. Last year a lot of peoples portal were updated only for them to email grad Rev and find out they have been rejected and didn’t hear back because the system made a mistake
    I've just emailed them to ask whether I missed any communications. 🙃

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Do you ask questions at the end of a telephone interview or no?
    Your interviewer is likely to explain at the start whether they will leave time for questions at the end. Some firms will do this, others won’t (usually because it is either tight on time or where the interviews have been outsourced).

Reactions: LEL and GXA123
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.