• Guest, I'd love to know what you are struggling with the most right now? Use this poll to help me to make sure we are working on the right things. - Jaysen

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

corplaw0702

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Oct 15, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker , I received an invite to Latham's VI today (Friday), but I have not been sent the Launchpad email yet - I'm anticipating the Launchpad invite to arrive perhaps tomorrow or Monday? I will have 5 days from the arrival of the Launchpad email to complete the VI.

I'm in my second year of my LLB now and I have exams from Monday through to Friday next week, and I don't think I can write my exams and prep for the VI at the same time. Will it reflect badly on me if I emailed grad rec to ask for an extension to complete my Launchpad VI? Does grad rec generally expect candidates to follow through without any delays? I am aware that firms are willing to make reasonable adjustments for mitigating circumstances, but I'm pretty sure a VI deadline clash with uni exams doesn't count as a mitigating circumstance :( I'm really worried that I will come across as incompetent for telling them that I can't manage my exams and complete the VI at the same time.

If I do email them, I am prepared for them to say no and that I'm expected to stick to the deadline out of fairness to other candidates. If they say no, I'll of course find a way to juggle both, but I think it will severely impact my performance on both the VI and my exams, so would really appreciate it if it can be pushed back the week after. Any advice would be appreciated!
I'm not Jessica but I've done this before and got progressed!

YJ

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2021
Haven't heard back from summer, but a friend of mine got their spring VS offer
I have had a Spring VS offer this week, but my friend applied for summer and has not heard anything. Also some people got Spring AC offers this past week so I would say if you applied for Spring to email graduate recruitment!

OO28

Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 4, 2019
What are peoples thoughts on reapplying to an MC firm for direct TC next cycle after a post AC rejection (for vac scheme) this cycle
I applied for an A&O winter vac scheme and got rejected after the AC. Applied for a direct TC this year and got invited to the AC again, which is coming up soon :)

OO28

Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 4, 2019
Congrats! Would you say the application for the direct TC is very similar to the winter vac scheme?
The application is exactly the same most of the time, same questions. Also worth noting that I've never done a vacation scheme and still got the interview. I made sure to highlight transferrable skills in my work experience section.

I'm not sure if they expect more of me and a clearer "why law" motivation in the interview though. But A&O grad rec have said before that if you're quite sure you want to work at the firm then they recommend a TC because vac scheme places are limited.

Not sure what it's like for the other firms, but a lot of them do encourage you to apply again the next cycle.

Adrian_S

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
Hey does anyone know if any applications for any firm for summer vacation scheme are still open after from Gibson Dunn? Any reply will be helpful, thank you.

yep, there’s loads. Dechert, Ropes & Gray, Cooley, Cleary, Sidley Austin, and a bunch of others with deadlines in late January :)